Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"? (weird tree)  (Read 11734 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »
Nice idea. Good work.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
Very unexpected, interesting idea!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 12:52:00 AM »
Great idea using decent plastics.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »
Fantastic!

Consider me subscribed  ;D
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
Some friends over on the In Her Majesty's Name Facebook page sent me a link to this fascinating thread.

As some of you may know we published a free genre pack for IHMN that gave players the tools to play in the mad, bad seventeenth century (https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/in-her-majestys-name/, scroll to the bottom)

I have always been fascinated with this period and particularly the period 1630-1660, the time of Solomon Kane and the Witchfinder General.

This autumn I shall be starting little, personal side-project in which I shall be collecting and building a number of companies so I can play in this period. So I shall be following your project with great interest.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 02:59:43 AM »
Very cool, Craig! I hadn't considered IHMN as a set of skirmish rules up until now, but might have to pick them up to see how they go.

Glad this oddball little project has caught people's attention, although I'm very much a part-time wargamer these days and haven't really done anything since the initial burst of figure-building except putty some bases and do some further cleanup. I will come back to it in due time, but can't really say when that might be.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 07:10:47 AM »
Excellent concept. Looking forward to photos of the finished minis. The grave scatter pieces are excellent. I had a similar idea but have not gotten around to it yet. Your execution of the idea is inspirational.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »
Very interesting, a good solomon kane theme

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 12:21:25 AM »
An update! The various figures seen a few months ago on this thread have finally been primed and might actually get paint on them before the end of this calendar year, and I threw some money at the nice folks at Reaper.

Every culture has dog/wolf demon things. The UK is thick with them, it seems like every county has three or four varieties, and they show up everywhere else in Europe too, usually huge, black, red-eyed, and inclined to eat people by dark of night or just bay (they never merely bark) threateningly on dark and misty nights.

So naturally I needed a pack of huge demon dog things!

Left to right there's a pair of Hellhounds, then two Goblin Wolves (the smaller ones), and finally the big guy is a Moor Hound. They're all on 40mm bases, just for scale.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
Wirelizard. Steve Barber Models have just added a rather nice 'Scribbler' to their 30Y War range. Lovely figure with large book, quills and inkpot. My first thought was this looks like it could possibly of interest to you (I'd link, but lack the skills :( ).
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 04:10:18 AM »
That scribbler looks like it might fit right into my Weird ECW stuff! Link here, to save others from having to hunt: https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/store/The-Scribbler-p150460244

I've been painting the various Reaper demon dogs last seen above, and I really like how they're turning out. I went higher contrast than I would usually do and it really works for these critters!

Reaper Moor Hound facing down a Warlord priest. Both still WIP, especially the priest.

A few more pictures and some extra words over on the blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2019/10/29/extremely-bad-dogs-almost-finished/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 07:44:37 PM »
Reviving my own thread after a bit of a pause.

I finally did something I've been thinking about doing for a few years now, and picked up a sprue of Frostgrave Gnolls to see how they'd convert to gunpowder fantasy figures with Warlord bits added.

The answer is, pretty darn well, with a few caveats. The gnolls are broader across the shoulders than Warlord's firelock troopers, so you wind up having to do a hand transplant on the right hand at the back of the gun and carve the left hand off the gun entirely. This is made much easier by the fact the each Warlord plastic firelock trooper sprue comes with one body and two possible arms+firelock combo, so you always have a spare firelock after assemblilng a

Behold, a gnoll-gunner. Gnollskteer? The right wrist need rebuilding with greenstuff, and I think I'll try giving him a more 17th C style soldier's coat over the ragged random armour he's currently sporting. Don't think I can get a hat over those ears, though.

Here's my new firelock-toting gnoll alongside a Frostgrave wizard body (left in blue) and a Warlord ECW officer (right).

One gnoll sprue gets you five gnolls, which is enough for one small unit with a human officer/sergeant. Not sure I'll get a whole box and do big units, but for a fun weird gunpowder fantasy unit, these work well.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"? (Gnolls with guns!)
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 09:15:24 PM »
Gnolls with firelocks,brilliant stuff 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
Excellent stuff  :)

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
Perhaps a Montero cap from the Firelocks sprue, and perched between the ears?