Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HOTT The Purge  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
HOTT The Purge
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:39 PM »
HOTT The Purge

I must admit I am a fan of both The Purge movies and The Purge TV series, but fully accept that the concept is truly heinous, and unfathomable. Besides, the concept is to reduce crime and reduce government spending. Truth be told, such a concept would have the reverse effects on both of those. Bad guys will bad guys year-round, not just for one 12-hour period, and those who never have, but think they might find delight or vengeance in killing someone would truly suffer serious PTSD.  As far as saving money, the clean up after such a 12-hour period of rampant atrocities would far exceed any expense they think they might save. So, with this disclaimer let’s proceed.

The appeal to me is not the killing, but the opportunity to paint up some really fun and unique figures due to the “Halloween” aspect of the event. Of course, this would only apply to the “Purgers” and not the civilians just trying to survive. If you seen any of the movies or the TV series you will understand what I mean. And why HOTT, when a skirmish type game might be a more adaptable approach – for me it’s simple, I love HOTT and that is primarily what I play. For those who enjoy a skirmish game it could be easily adapted, but I’m not familiar enough with skirmish type rules to recommend any.

Basically, to do The Purge with HOTT I feel a few changes need to be made to make it work more to the theme. The first change will be the layout or battlefield.  My approach is that the entire board area is a park, think Central Park in New York as an example. Within the park you can have wooded areas, creeks running through it with bridges, walkways (roads), hills, areas of bad going or other such terrain features that might be appropriate to a park setting. Then around the perimeter buildings with doors indicated. The buildings can be represented by flat pieces of cardboard laid along the board edge and marked off with doors at various locations. This is a cheap easy way to represent them because they don’t really play in the game except as will be described later. So, this is not really a variance from the normal game of HOTT, with the exception of the buildings lining the boarder. I will say that another option could be to inset some buildings say on one board edge so you could have alleys, but I wouldn’t make them too deep.

Now, as for the elements. Only a few seem reasonable to keep to the theme, but even then, I see it necessary to alter the number of figures on the element, again to capture the theme. I think the best element types would be Warband, Shooters, Beasts and Riders for the Purgers, but also maybe a Behemoth or Blade for the government forces who take part, and maybe a Flyer if you wanted to add a government helicopter. For the civilians I see heroes (probably limited to no more than two), maybe a Shooter or two, and numerous Hordes. Now that we’ve identified the element types, I see the suggested number of troops per element be completely ignored. For example, you may have one or two guys or gals on a base of Shooters or Warband, and as another say two or three civilians on a Horde element. In other words, make it like the movies, with a few folks doing bad or trying to survive.   They would however, still be based on the standard base sizes for their element type in the rules, and would play exactly as the rules define.

Let’s talk about figures next. I game in 15 MM and have had no trouble coming up with lots of figures to choose from for both sides. There are enough civilian figures to easily do the survivors and a few armed survivors or appropriately armed guys for Heroes. Just as a side note on the subject of Heroes, I plan on two. The first will be Leo Barnes with the five survivors he tried to save, but my other will be my favorite characters from The Walking Dead - Michonne, Daryl, Carol and Judith.

For the Purgers you really have to have no boundaries and have fun. I currently have planned some clowns, some cheerleaders, some basic thugs and gangers, and some guys using modified 17th century plague physicians using the figures from Peter Pig’s ECW range. Most of the figures for here are coming from various zombie figures and just need a weapon of some sort added. I like the Rebel Minis figures best for this as he offers a really good selection, but also am using other makers zombie figures. The main thing when doing these bad guys is to think of some sort of costume or at least a mask or scary face paint.

OK, so now we’ve covered the set up and the figures what would a typical army be. I am thinking as a first blush to have 16-point armies which keeps the park from being too crowded. The basic list being:

Survivors

2 x Hero @ 4 AP         8 pts
4 x Horde @ 1 AP         4 pts
2 x Shooters @ 2 AP         4 pts

Options would be more Hordes and less Shooters.

Purgers

4 x Warband @ 2 AP         8 Pts
2 x Shooter @ 2 AP         4 pts
1 x Rider @ 2 AP         2 pts
1 x Beast @ 2 AP         2 pts

Options can be any of the elements listed above.

No Stronghold for either side.

OK, why no Stronghold? Because the objective is to get the survivors to a Safe House, and the Purgers try to destroy the Survivors before they can get there. Yeah, seems easy enough doesn’t it! Weeeell, not exactly, because before you deploy troops a set of random markers or cards are placed under each building face down. Only one of the markers says “Door Unlocked” all of the others say Door Locked” This means the survivors have to find the one door that is unlocked and get as many as possible in that building.

Standard set up is used with the survivors always being the Defenders. The game winner is determined by the following. The survivors win if they can get more than eight points to the safe house. The Purgers win if they destroy eight or more of the survivors. One point to clarify. The survivors must stop at a door into a building and may enter on their next move. This represents them trying the door to see if it is locked. Only the survivors may see the marker stating if the door is locked or unlocked.

I am now in the process of cleaning and starting to paint up the figures and hope to be giving it a go soon. In the meantime, I welcome any and all questions, suggestions, or knock-offs.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
Re: HOTT The Purge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:36:33 AM »
I too am a fan of The Purge series. I think this is a great idea to the point that I now wonder why an actual game/miniature range doesn't already exist. I'm looking forward to see what you achieve with this.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »
Although the bad guys are going to be more fun to paint, I decided to start with one of the Hero elements of the survivors - Leo and the four people he helped to save. I was able to find near matching figures in my extra bag of modern civilians and zombies to make these guys from. Of course all but the figure for Leo require some conversion, and only one  will need some green stuff added (to make he girl with her plaid shirttail hanging out. I am closing on getting them ready to paint and it shouldn't be much to paint them so hope to have them done shortly.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 02:42:43 AM »
Been plodding away on this project, and have finished converting, cleaning and sanding,  and have ready to prime the first hero element (Leo and company), and the Shooter element (Carmelo Jones and his resistance fighters) for the civilian/survivors army, and for the Purgers I've finished the conversions for the cheerleader and baseball player element, the clowns element, the 16th/17th century physicians and the biker on his hog with his biker honey added to the back. This completes most of the conversion work, as the rest will just be cleaning away molding seams and sanding. Then I'll glue everything to painting sticks, prime them and start the fun! 

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
Took a few pics of some of the Purge figures I’ve been working on. Most some form of conversion done to them. Sorry for the two blurry pictures, but they’ll still give you an idea.

This first picture is of the Leon Barnes/Sergeant Hero element which required a lot of conversion work to achieve the dress the characters are depicted in.  As in the picture posted previously, they are from left to right – Leo, Cali, Eva, Liz and Dwayne. Only thing done to Leo was to add his black bag of weapons over his shoulder. Cali was holding a purse and wearing what looked like a sweater, so I removed the purse, added a pistol, made the sweater into her un-tucked in plaid shirt, and shortened her shoulder length hair. Eva, was also a bit involved. The figure came holding a pistol which I left, but she was also wearing a barn like coat, so I shortened it to have her wearing a zip up hoodie so added the hood in the back. Liz was made from a zombie holding a phone, which I removed, and have her wearing her black dress and leggings, light blue denim jacket. Her left arm was positioned so she would be holding on Dwayne’s right arm, and I added a pistol. Dwayne was another fun conversion, converting his coat to a padded vest and adding a semi-automatic weapon. Each character did carry/use the weapons I have them holding, and I wanted them to all be holding weapons so they wouldn’t be confused with being a Horde since this element has five figures.

This is the civilian/Shooter element and represents Carmelo Jones and his Purge Resistance fighters. The figure in the center is Carmelo, made from one of Rebel Minis Post Apocalyptic Raiders. I did a head swap adding a Peter Pig British tanker head wearing a beret, and added a clip to his weapon to make it look more like a semi-automatic. I still have to figure out how to add glasses, but have a thought that I am going to try. On the right is Dante Bishop who appeared as the same character in all of the first three movies. The figure on the left is a hooded resistance fighter who was unnamed in the movie, but is seen during the attack on the hunting party near the end – you get a glimpse of him as the resistance fighters advance with guns a-blazing.

This is one of my bad guy elements, or Purgers. I was going to call it the Cheerleaders, but instead of using three of the same cheerleader figure I made the third figure as a baseball player wearing the uniform of the Atlanta Braves. He was a chubby figure that I slimmed down, converted his trousers to baseball pants and socks and made his tee shirt into a baseball uniform top. Made the bat from a piece of a lance (which I always remove and add wire ones). My basic concept for this element was the “Candy Girl” in The Purge Election year.   Since the picture I have modified the hair on the cheerleaders, so one has two buns a la the “Candy Girl” and the other is wearing a blonde wig.

This was a fun conversion using one of Rebel Minis biker gang figures, which is unchanged. The girl on the back with the shotgun is also a Rebel Mini, removing the pack on her back and the base, then adjusting her legs to let her fit behind the guy on the bike.

Note much conversion work here. These are the Peter Pig 16th century physicians. I only got them so I could have another element with unique costumes. I did convert their staffs into weapons, and will probably give them a dark red robe with a darker red hat and a black mask and beak.

I have others near finished and will share an update after I get some painting done. Still proving to be a fun project.

Terry

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »
Hah! What an interesting scale for this sort of project. The setting seems more the thing for 28mm skirmish games, but going a bit smaller allows you to play out some larger chase scenes or the characters dealing with one problem after another.

With The Purge you can get away with using all sorts of models. Zombies are just people in costumes ...or wearing people's skin. Heck you could have The Village People and they wouldn't be out of place. My heart goes out to you doing conversions at this scale of course. ;)

You're doing Central Park, though would you cover say the entrance area with a city street outside of it leading in as one board edge? Being New York I can see the size of the buildings be a problem however, so yeah, you may want to stick to the park. Though this would give you the opportunity to make a few burnt out cars, Mad-Max style barricades, etc - as well, if there's one thing, that series does like its set pieces. You can't forget about sticking a load of neon on a random car or the odd tree. :)

Best of luck. I've never seen HOTT used for this sort of thing, but well, I've played weirder rules mods...

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »
I like what your doing here and the scale I really hope to see more on this project.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
Wramalla and War Monkey, thank you for your posts. Yes, this is easily a Skirmish scenario I know, but I've never really enjoyed skirmish games much, and primarily game HOTT, so am going that route. The real draw for me to this effort, and my interest in the movies and TV series is the variety of costumes that you can create. I'm always a sucker for a colorful or unique uniform, which in this case are the many weird outfits the "purgers' wore.

For playing it as a HOTT game the idea of it primarily taking place in a park setting seems the best option, but for the scenario, aground the edge will be some representation of buildings the survivors have to get to....but which one has the unlocked door!!!

I've had no trouble with finding or creating the figures, and am primarily using various Rebel Minis packs of zombies, civilians, etc. So my "purgers" will have one element of zombie clowns with added weapons, one element with a sports theme - two zombie cheerleaders with an ax and a sword added plus a baseball player with a bat,  an element of plague death physicians but re-costumed instead of just overall black - one has a knife, another a crowbar and the last a sort of small ax. These will all be Warband elements. For Shooters I just have two elements of street gangers.

Since I first created this scenario (above), I have decided to expand the "Purger" army into a regular 24 point HOTT army as well, so I can play it in open HOTT games. So have added a Pimp Boss as the General, with his big fur coat, gaudy attire and deadly looking bodyguards (Warband), another Shooter element of guys in ski masks which will have garish faces painted on, a drone as a Flyer, and the government troops as a Behemoth. Oh, yeah, and a Beast element of two guys with guns and some very angry dogs!

I have about finished the base coats on the first four elements and will take a picture and post it. They will not look very good at this point, but will give an idea of the fun you can have creating these guys.

To keep as accurate as possible, I have watched the movies multiple times plus untold hours of searching the net for pictures and watching clips on YouTube.  You'd be surprised just how hard it is to find out what kind of shoes a particular character wore, but it can be found. It may sound like a lot of time invested for something so trivial, and I guess it is, but to me it's just part of the fun.

More soon,

Terry

PS you might find these  threads of interest on some of my post apocalyptic modeling.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17604.0.html

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16940.0.html

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16890.0.html

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »
Normally I would not share pictures of figures in progress, but thought you all might like seeing the progress. Sill a few bits to hit, and final touch-ups before washing/shading and highlighting, but you'll get an idea anyway.

Hero element for the Survivor team - left to right: Shane, Liz, Eva, Cali and Leo. About half way through the movie, Cali lost her army jacket, so I opted for that version of her.

Compare them to this picture to better understand the element. This picture is in reverse order by character of my figures above, i.e. Leo is far left and Dwayne at far right.

Shooter element survivor team - Purge Resistance Fighters - Carmelo Johns center, Dante Bishop left and unnamed Resistance Fighter right.

Purge Team General: Pimp with his gangsta bodyguards.

Biker with his "old lady".

More to follow

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 02:02:41 AM »
Although a busy week, I have just about finished the first 5 elements for this army. Most of the shading I'll do by hand, but the base coats are finally all but finished. Here are a few pics, but understand they are far from finished.

More soon,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »
OK, the first six elements are finished, save the basing which I will do at one time when the army is finished. All of the figures are Rebel Minis 15 MM form various ranges that he offers.

The Survivors Hero element, with Leo and his following. You can see Cali's plaid shirt a little better in this one.

Carmelo and his Purge Resistance Fighters. This is a Shooter element.

And now for the baddies. Here's the Pimp Boss General, a Warband element, with his bodyguard. Can't really see it in this picture bu the "lady" on the right has bright green,  purple and yellow hair.

Another Warband element, a group of gangers out purging!

Biker and his "Old Lady" our purging. He's got a piece of chain in his right hand, and she's got a pump shotgun. Her hair is bleached blonde with a carmine streak and a green streak in it. She was made from a standing figure.

Thought I'd show you a rear view of the biker, so you can see what I did on the back of their black leather jackets. Just FYI, she is not glued in place yet as I'll do that after I've done the base.

Here's a government drone made from a Pendraken drone, but with four rotors added.

Started working on the next batch now, so more to come.

Terry

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 07:43:05 AM »
Nice work.

Impressed by that shirt.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
I highly recommend that you play this YouTube with volume as background while looking at this picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqj9Mq39FM

And now Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages in the center ring we have the Clowns!

When I first got into the hobby over 60 years ago I never thought I'd be painting clowns.....but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! These bad boys are all the same figure which I have done a little modification to each for a slightly different look to each one. They are a Rebel Mini zombie figure, but really paint up nicely, and with the weapons added will make a colorful Purge Warband element. Their weapons left to right are a scythe, a hunting knife added to a broom handle and a small hatchet. These are just base coats, but I will do a little shading and highlighting by hand so I can keep he bright colors.

More to follow,

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
Nice job so far with the clowns (I Hate CLOWNS) check out PicoArmor they have some 15mm in the sic-fi section that maybe of interest.

I'm following along on this because I'm interested in where this is going.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »

Intersting stuff. I'll keep an eye on this threads  8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/