Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40mm Old West scenery resources/ handy tips.  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
40mm Old West scenery resources/ handy tips.
« on: April 25, 2019, 12:08:03 PM »
As an 'exclusively' 28mm hobbyist I am at a bit of a loss currently  ???!!!

I have set my mind on making a 'Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes' diorama (the final scene), using the 40mm figures from HLBS. But I also aim to create the stone circle, a couple of tomb stones on Sad Hill (naturally one with Arch Stanton and one with Unknown on) and have got no idea where to get said scenery from.

I am not much of a 'scratch builder', but might have to so any handy advice will be welcome. Maybe cork could work?
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: 40mm Old West scenery resources/ handy tips.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 07:45:24 AM »
Woodland Scenics produce some "O Gauge" tombstones, some of which may be suitable.

Other grave markers (most of them in the film are made of wood) could be scratchbuilt from strip timber or craft (lollipop) sticks.

The low walls could be made from blue foam or glued small, angular stones carefully selected from a Garden Centre or Pet Accessory shop.

RMZ

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
Ramirez has the best solution, the wall can be made from stone or cut up blue foam which can then be textured with filler and sand.
I know you'd prefer not to scratch build it, but I think its going to be the best solution.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
Thank you very much for the input gentlemen, I have seen some 'O' scale stone blocks that probably would my best bet, as they are the easiest to work with for me. Just not sure if one pack will be enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Miniature-white-Stone-Blocks-O-HO-scale-diorama-model-1-43-1-35-wargame-wall/162045459467

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
Are you going to build the whole circle or just a suggestion as background for the figures?

I would think 100 blocks would be sufficient for a small part of it.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:54:49 AM »
Are you going to build the whole circle or just a suggestion as background for the figures?

I would think 100 blocks would be sufficient for a small part of it.

I was playing with the thought of sort of like a semi-circle, as I wanted to have space for the grave markers in the background, but to be on the safe side I ordered two bags. I haven't settled on size for base or anything like it yet, but thinking of 2-3mm MDF. Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes at the Mexican stand off in the centre, stone wall (however big/ small it need to be) and grave markers in the background. Toying with the idea of having some Civil War paraphernalia scattered around (kepi on a grave marker, a broken cannon maybe) but not decided on that, as I need to look into available 40mm stuff for that in that case.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
Sounds good, how about a tree next to the Arch Stanton grave? I nice bare twig picked from the garden should do?

Have you seen this diorama?

https://www.oniriaminiatures.com/product/sad-hill/

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
Sounds good, how about a tree next to the Arch Stanton grave? I nice bare twig picked from the garden should do?

Have you seen this diorama?

https://www.oniriaminiatures.com/product/sad-hill/

:o :o :o

No I haven't, didn't know it existed!!! Lovely little set. Only thing (which I guess is something to do with copyright) is that the grave marker says 'Stenton' not 'Stanton'. Thank you for the suggestions. I have some minor work to finish on my first ever attempt at a diorama (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116456.0), but when that is done, I am up for this  lol.

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, it's an idea I've contemplated myself (amongst many, many others).

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, it's an idea I've contemplated myself (amongst many, many others).

Cheers mate, haven't we all  :D.

I've ordered the minis, the grave stones and the stone blocks, so there will probably be some small beginnings to the project in a week or two.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »
If it helps the project Sarissa has a 40mm Old West range.

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/old-west-40mm