Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689721
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: El Cid  (Read 2622 times)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
El Cid
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:27 AM »
Hi Guys
I am looking to do an Spanish Christian El Cid force.
I am thinking of going with Crusader Miniatures El Cid Range  , and also using some gripping beast  metals.
So can anyone please tell me if the Crusader and Gripping Beast Figures mix in the same unit.
Also are there other Brand options to consider ?
Your thought would be appreciated.
Cheers   

Offline Kadzik

• Librarian
    • Kadzikowo
Re: El Cid
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
I strongly recommend Artizan Designs. Lovely sculpts with great detail. Joy to paint!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »
Those look nice indeed !!!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:09:38 AM »
Gripping Beast are bigger than Crusader. However, once painted and from usual wargaming distance differences are barely noticeable. I mix Gripping, Saxon Miniatures, Artizan, Foundry and Crusader in my Viking and Saxon armies, and while differences in size are noticeable when compared one-to-one, on the tabletop they look just right.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
Hi Guys
I am looking to do an Spanish Christian El Cid force.
I am thinking of going with Crusader Miniatures El Cid Range  , and also using some gripping beast  metals.
So can anyone please tell me if the Crusader and Gripping Beast Figures mix in the same unit.
Your thought would be appreciated.
Cheers

Yes, GB, Artizan and Crusader all mix pretty well. Perry Miniatures have a lovely crusades range but they are slimmer than the others.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 02:44:37 AM »
Saxon Miniatures (now owned by Warlord Games) has two groups of 11thC Spanish. I have read mixed reviews of the SM range; maybe Antonio J C can comment.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:52:12 AM »
Saxon Miniatures (now owned by Warlord Games) has two groups of 11thC Spanish. I have read mixed reviews of the SM range; maybe Antonio J C can comment.

SM are Colin Patten' sculpts, very similar to the early Gripping Beast figures. They are chunky, big and have some curious poses. The models need some preparing work before painting (mould lines) but the metal -at least the one used by SM, I don't know Warlord's- is soft and easy to clean. They paint very well and fast. Mr Patten is not fond of including unnecessary detail in his models, which means that you don't need to waste a lot of time painting a myriad of small bags, bottles and the like. Overall, I think that they are OK, specially if you like a "chunky" look in your models.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:17 PM »
My El Cid army for Warhammer Ancient Battles is entirely composed of Perry 1st Crusade figures, although many of the cavalry have conversions. You can find some pics here: https://guitarheroandy.blogspot.com/search?q=el+cid Mine are the chaps with the ochre and madder colour scheme in the 'Pine Wood of Tear' scenario.
Many of the knights have long tunics added beneath their mail with greenstuff and some have round shields with greenstuff tassels added. Took some work, but was worth it in my opinion, as I prefer the Perry models to the GB range. Artizan weren't available when I started this force, so even my Moorish allies are Perry Crusaders...

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
My El Cid army for Warhammer Ancient Battles is entirely composed of Perry 1st Crusade figures, although many of the cavalry have conversions. You can find some pics here: https://guitarheroandy.blogspot.com/search?q=el+cid Mine are the chaps with the ochre and madder colour scheme in the 'Pine Wood of Tear' scenario.
Many of the knights have long tunics added beneath their mail with greenstuff and some have round shields with greenstuff tassels added. Took some work, but was worth it in my opinion, as I prefer the Perry models to the GB range. Artizan weren't available when I started this force, so even my Moorish allies are Perry Crusaders...
Thats an impressive army. well done!

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
Me and a couple of the team have done a fairly large force for both Christians and Moors, extensive use of Gripping Beast, Perry's, Crusader, Gripping Beast plastics, Artizan you name it, the vast majority mix really well. There are about 14 posts on my blog if you sort by the El Cid label and soem will show specific units made up from different manufatcurers. See what you think.

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-toenail-of-san-sebastian-part-two.html
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 06:57:52 AM »
Footsore Miniatures' Breton cavalry could pass for Spanish knights too. Their Norman knights (Paul Hicks' sculpts) may be used too. I think that they are compatible with Perry's Crusader range. 

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »
If you're looking to save some $$ you can use the HaT El Cid figures. They aren't amazing, but the mounted figures scale pretty well, and they are so cheap that you could build an army and save some real $$.

El Cid Andalusian Light Cavalry beside the Conquest Miniatures Normans

El Cid ANdalusian Light Cavalry with the head of a Dark Age warrior from Gripping Beast.

Also I really like the Gripping Beast Arabs as Andalusians as well. Not perfect, but pretty good. Swap in some Gripping Beast Dark Age heads and they are almost perfect:

thanks
n