Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689711
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 736
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jeanne d'Arc, siege of Orleans, 7th May 1429  (Read 4654 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Jeanne d'Arc, siege of Orleans, 7th May 1429
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
When the new Perry Agincourt mounted knights arrived at my stores I immediately wanted to build something from it, as is our nature ... But with so many ongoing projects around, I couldn't start another large one. Looking around at the net what could be done as a small "side project", I found the dynamic but rather stylish monument for Jeanne d'Arc at the french town Chinon:

So the idea was born to use the new Perry parts to convert my version of Jeann d'Arc presented here:

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
Re: Jeanne d'Arc, siege of Orleans, 7th May 1429
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
That is a very dynamic pose! As far as I can tell, the horse is fully supported by just two contact points on the left front leg - might be tough to do the same with a heavier metal model!

As for the components, is that head from some kit or did you convert it somehow?

Also very nice paintjob, though personally I would have probably done the armour with a bit more shading to make the individual armour plates stand out better.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »
Wonderful conversion!
Dynamic is the word and beautifully executed ( no pun intended!).
Cani always where Joan’s banner is from please?
All the best
Simon

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
Wunderbar Herr Immig!

I think the head is from Statuesque? She has the same look as my Brienne of Tarth :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »
Superb, a really striking conversion, full of movement and very dynamic. The paint job is first class too. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:13:45 PM »
Amazing :-*

Well done

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 06:26:54 PM »
Lovely conversion and modelling I am sure everyone looks at it and finds something they might have done slightly differently, but they haven't have they? Armchair Quarterbacks is the American term I believe. Love it, and it's hard to believe it's 28mm and not a much larger figure.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »
Also very nice paintjob, though personally I would have probably done the armour with a bit more shading to make the individual armour plates stand out better.

I would like to add that this comment was based on the first picture, which is the one that I paid most attention to. Now I took a closer look at how the armour looks like at other pictures, and on them there seems to be more shading on the armour - and I would say that the last picture is actually very close to how I would like armour to look on my models.

So I presume there is something with the angle of lighting and photography that makes the armour shading appear different on the different pictures?

(Actually, from the realism point of view one could argue that 15th century plate armour should not really have much shading between the armour plate, since these do not really stand out in nature - but I personally like the slightly exaggerated shading style that makes these sort of details to stand out on 28 mm figures.)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:30:59 PM »
Stunning work :-* :-* :-*

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
The Maid of Orleans of yours turns out to be an entire diorama in its own right instead of being just a gaming piece. Wonderful execution and surely an eyecatcher wherever you´ll deploy her!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 02:53:43 AM »
Very animated; has one looking for a few Gallic saints flying overhead.

Won't modelers take a few minutes to look at a few horses' eyes and note the way that you almost never see any white?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 07:10:37 AM »
Won't modelers take a few minutes to look at a few horses' eyes and note the way that you almost never see any white?

1. Actually, you can’t see the whites of the horse’s eyes on this beautifully painted model. What you can see is the gleam on the horse’s eyeballs.

2. That is such a tedious and oft-repeated fallacy here on LAF that I have a rebuttal picture on standby, for every time someone trots out that same sad, tired old myth. Here goes...

Stressed, frightened or angry horses (in the middle of a battle, let’s say) roll their eyes and you see the whites A LOT.

Commenters could take a few minutes to examine the evidence before regurgitating shibboleths of such flaky provenance  ;)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 07:31:39 AM »
That is a stunning model, beautifully done.  Hoping you do drift into a large project on this one Admiral.

I do like the phrase ‘regurgitating shibboleths’ and shall try to use it in everyday conversation this weekend  :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
I do like the phrase ‘regurgitating shibboleths’ and shall try to use it in everyday conversation this weekend  :)

It’s a lot of syllables, but I think it lands the point  ;)

lol

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 09:16:54 AM »
Absolutely cracking conversion, and paint job

shibboleths

8)