Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jeanne d'Arc, siege of Orleans, 7th May 1429  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Jeanne d'Arc, siege of Orleans, 7th May 1429
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:44 AM »
That is a delightful conversion and paintjob, Admiral.  8) :-*

1. Actually, you can’t see the whites of the horse’s eyes on this beautifully painted model. What you can see is the gleam on the horse’s eyeballs.

2. That is such a tedious and oft-repeated fallacy here on LAF that I have a rebuttal picture on standby, for every time someone trots out that same sad, tired old myth. Here goes...

Stressed, frightened or angry horses (in the middle of a battle, let’s say) roll their eyes and you see the whites A LOT.

Commenters could take a few minutes to examine the evidence before regurgitating shibboleths of such flaky provenance  ;)

That is delightful wordage, Captain  lol  lol

And yes, clearly it’s a glint of light off the eyeball, which I quite like on wargame models as it adds to the sense of movement.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
Splendid work Michael :-*
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »
And yes, clearly it’s a glint of light off the eyeball, which I quite like on wargame models as it adds to the sense of movement.

And just to add,  Admiral Benbow is in good company by doing so. Some (indeed many) would argue that George Stubbs is the best painter of horses and here’s his Whistlejacket:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »

This most definitely, it adds movement, realism and dynamics. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
It’s a lot of syllables, but I think it lands the point  ;)

lol

Technically I think it should be a fallacy, not a shibboleth, but quibbling butters no parsnips  8)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
Technically I think it should be a fallacy, not a shibboleth, but quibbling butters no parsnips  8)

lol

Damn you sir, for an (entirely correct) pedant!  :D

Although wait... Dictionary.com does have shibboleth as 'a common saying or belief with little current meaning or truth' - which I think fits the bill?

However, now back to the Admiral's lovely creation. (I swear off further derailing :))

Online Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Gents, thank you all for your kind words. Next time I will choose smaller pics, these are a bit too large. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

That is a very dynamic pose! As far as I can tell, the horse is fully supported by just two contact points on the left front leg - might be tough to do the same with a heavier metal model!
As for the components, is that head from some kit or did you convert it somehow?
Also very nice paintjob, though personally I would have probably done the armour with a bit more shading to make the individual armour plates stand out better.

Indeed it's only one contact point. After all conversion work done on the horse, I cut it free from it's base and attached a pice of copper wire into one of the front legs back. The aother end was epoxied into one of the stakes I carved from sprue. Which was then firmly fixed to the base groundwork. That's one of the benefits of lightweight plastic figures, doing that with metal ones would be a challenge indeed.
The head is one of the standard Perry horse heads but I converted it's position and the neck. See the following pics showing the conversions:

Wonderful conversion!
Dynamic is the word and beautifully executed ( no pun intended!).
Cani always where Joan’s banner is from please?
All the best
Simon

Thanks, Simon! The banner can be found easily when you search for pictures "Jeanne d'Arc banner" on Google. Interestingly it's a mystery till today about her banners, if she had one, and if so, which one. I would recommend this site about that: https://www.jeanne-darc.info/biography/banner/

Wunderbar Herr Immig!
I think the head is from Statuesque? She has the same look as my Brienne of Tarth :)

Absolutely, Richard! Brilliantly sculpted heads ...

And thanks very much for your wonderful comment on horses eyes and their appearance on tiny miniatures. There is nothing to add.
 :)

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
Thanks for adding the work-in-progress pictures. That horse looks even more gravity-defying than in the final version!

I am also surprised to hear that those stakes started their life as simple plastic sprue.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
1. Actually, you can’t see the whites of the horse’s eyes on this beautifully painted model. What you can see is the gleam on the horse’s eyeballs.

2. That is such a tedious and oft-repeated fallacy here on LAF that I have a rebuttal picture on standby, for every time someone trots out that same sad, tired old myth. Here goes...

Stressed, frightened or angry horses (in the middle of a battle, let’s say) roll their eyes and you see the whites A LOT.

Commenters could take a few minutes to examine the evidence before regurgitating shibboleths of such flaky provenance  ;)

It seems like a lot of horses roll their eyes as you stop to take a photo, Richard. Perhaps that says more about you than about the horses. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:13:16 PM by Hammers »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
Hahaha! I never went near those poor horses, Peder. All images courtesy of Google :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »
Gorgeous work Michael  :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:23 AM »
On the issue of horses eyes... generally you don't see much white, but when frightened or to trying to look at something that is to their flank/rear then you will see quite a bit more which is what you see in Captain Blood's picture collection, with the exception of the paint horse (left hand frame, middle row) which is relaxed and interested in something to his/her front (probably his/her horse mommy coming out of the feed room with a treat ::) lol).

The eyeball on the painted mini looks perfectly natural to me.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 04:05:43 AM »
The figure and the paint job is magnificent. The photos of the horses seem to prove the point well too.
Fun thread!

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 05:04:31 AM »
That’s some very impressive conversion work and painting.

Offline t_c_inquisitor

• Schoolboy
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 05:47:55 AM »
Fantastic conversion, so much fluidity in the piece.