Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: elves vs goblins in Age of Fantasy  (Read 1382 times)

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
elves vs goblins in Age of Fantasy
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:08:57 PM »
I've played several Age of Fantasy (from One Page Rules) games, all with my LotR elves vs goblins/orcs.

Here is another battle.  I'm afraid it isn't well told, but there are some interesting things, like me playing the panorama setting on the phone.  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h5T4n9A4cxE1CNwR9

There are some variations from the game.  We draw counters instead of strictly alternating units.  Adds a bit of tension, but not a huge deal.

They've recently limited units to one melee attack per turn.  So if you charge and fight, then are charged, you don't fight back.  Or if you are charged twice, you can only strike back at one of them.  This is intended to lessen the ability of a unit to fight against two different units on equal turns one at a time, but I think the cure is worse than the disease, because I don't want to ever have a unit charge without some risk to itself.  For the first three turns, we used a more complicated system, where we don't resolve melee until later in the game.  This interacted in complex ways with other parts of the system.  So the last two turns we allowed a unit to fight at full strength one time in each turn, and are at -1 to hits in other turns.  Smaller change, and was fine.

We also used the Open War objective cards from GW.  This adds interesting variations sometimes, but in this case gave us the rather boring objective of killing more of the enemy than the other side.  However, this allowed us to emphasize melee, which is what I was playtesting.  The elves won by a lot as far as the objective goes, but it was not as obvious from looking at the battle.

Oh, and the orc and goblin lists are based on familiar ones, but I reduced the power of the orcs by a lot, since mine aren't big green brutes.  They are same as goblins with one better defense.

andy

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: elves vs goblins in Age of Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »
Interesting!

I was just looking at the rules, and a couple of things baffled me:

What does the numbers in brackets [] after the troop type mean?

And in  the spellcasting rule:

Casting Spells: Pick one spell from the wizard’s
army, roll one die and add +X to the result. If the
total is equal or higher than the number in brackets,
then you may resolve the spell’s effects.

What is X?

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »
The number in brackets is the number of models in one unit.

X is the level of the magic user.  So they have ability Wizard(1) through Wizard(3).

A Wizard(1) isn't weaker, just less likely to have a result.

I played pretty much the same game again with a friend new to the game.  Didn't take pictures beyond the setup, because they'd look pretty similar.  But it was a lot of fun.  The game plays very quickly.  I love a single sheet of rules.  I admit I tweak some, but it is an easy game to tweak.

andy

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »
Looks like a great little one sheeter.... theses are good for my young kids... they are not quite ready for the likes of SAGA and such.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
The rules and army lists are free.  They do Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy (you may be able to tell where these come from ...), skirmish versions of each, and a regimented (ranks and files) version of AoF.

The point calculation system is available through the Patreon system.  I do tweak things, since my figures don't match the inspiration of the rules.

andy

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
The number in brackets is the number of models in one unit.

X is the level of the magic user.  So they have ability Wizard(1) through Wizard(3).

A Wizard(1) isn't weaker, just less likely to have a result.

I played pretty much the same game again with a friend new to the game.  Didn't take pictures beyond the setup, because they'd look pretty similar.  But it was a lot of fun.  The game plays very quickly.  I love a single sheet of rules.  I admit I tweak some, but it is an easy game to tweak.

andy

OK, that makes sense, now, thanks! I think I shall have to try this 'little' game - might be a good intro for new players!

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
Yep, could be good intro.  Or could just be the game to play for folks too busy to learn rules.  Or maybe I'm too old.  :)

I bought WoE, and it has some similarities (size, unit activation), but a big thick book instead a page of rules and a page per army.  And I do like having the point system (through Patreon) so that I can tweak.

Currently working on an evil army with more LotR figures.  Ringwraiths, including two on flying dragons, Morgul Knights, Army of the Dead, spiders.  I'll use stats for things that match, but may tweak some of them.

andy