Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A first game of Men of Bronze (update 4/5/19)  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A first game of Men of Bronze
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to comment chaps, I'll be playing another game tomorrow with similar forces and terrain but possibly a different opponent.
I'm going to experiment with leaving the supporting units where they stand so that my line of battle remains intact and I may put on a couple of cavalry units to see how they fare  :)

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
Nice retake of the Spartan revolt 331 BC! Coragus dies again- I reckon he was popular (at least in your skirmish). Nice looking game and observations.
JJonas

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
Second game using these rules, my Spartans again take on my Macedonians. However I've changed the make up of the forces taking them to 52 points and including Heavy Cavalry.
Spartans
3x elite Hoplite infantry
2 X Psiloi
1x Heavy Cavalry

Macedonians
3 X units of Pike
2 X Peltasts
1 X unit of Psiloi
1 X Heavy Cavalry

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 08:00:56 PM »
I again took the Spartans and deployed them 6" onto the table with the hoplites on the right and cavalry an psiloi on the left.
My opponent Meirion55 who hadn't played the rules before had the Macedonians, he deployed his pike in three solid phalanxes with two units of peltasts on his right and the cavalry and psiloi in reserve.
The scenario was again the first one from the book, a sort of last man standing scenario.
My plan was to take out his General and cause collapse tests, I did this last week and it worked, so stick to what you know.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »
The Macedonians advanced and their cavalry and psiloi moved to their left flank, the peltasts on the right paid points to cross the difficult terrain.
I did much the same though I kept my hoplites in open order for now.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 08:13:40 PM »
On the Spartan left flank the Macedonian Peltasts advanced to meet the Spartan light infantry and cavalry, one of the Peltast units charged forward and entered Melee with one of the Spartan psiloi units beating it easily and forcing it back.
However it had advanced to far forward and the Spartan cavalry charged into its rear decimating the unit and saving the psiloi in the bargain.
I was so engrossed with this part of the action I forgot to take photos so here's a photo of the Macedonian Companions sauntering about the battlefield like they own it lol

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
The two psiloi units now deal with the second unit of peltasts whilst the cavalry look on, the peltasts charge but with the psiloi supported by their brothers and upping their armour by being in the difficult terrain they see the peltasts off and then finish them with javelins

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 08:21:20 PM »
On the other flank the heavy infantry battle gets underway with the cavalry joining in, they had managed to out flank my infantry.
With the push and shove the fight goes to the Macedonians, I lose two heavy units to their one but help is on its way

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 08:23:57 PM »
My skirmishers and cavalry arrive in the nick of time, I pull back my last hoplite unit and my opponent charges one of my psiloi rather than going for my General.
The cavalry Duke it out and my side wins.
Collapse tests for both sides result in him losing a unit of psiloi

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
We had to finish here as time had run out, but I think the battle could go either way, Meirions two remaining units only have one courage point left.
My units are in better shape but who knows what would have happened.

There were a few things that came to mind from this game. I think we were trying to run before we could walk by playing with 52 points, maybe we should have stuck to last weeks forces.

A QRS would have come in handy when playing and may have saved us thumbing through the rule book.

I didn't move supporting units in Melee directly behind the fighting unit, I left them where they were. This had no negative impact on the game and for me gave a better look to the battlefield.
However I may in future mark units in support so then I will remember to move them back if the unit in Melee gets pushed back.

We made a few mistakes but that's how we learn, such things as rolling discipline tests when units courage is reduced to 2 and 1, and keeping a track of the percentage of points lost as the game progressed because at certain stages losing troops causes collapse tests.

I have a few questions for the Q&A sheet that Eric is putting together -

1. If a unit is trapped in Melee because it has been charged in the rear whilst fighting to its front how can it retire or is it destroyed?

2. Can you fire into a Melee?

3. Does a counter charge count as that units activation that turn?

4. A situation arose whereby my Hoplites countercharged and entered a Melee with a charging enemy pike unit, I got the best of him and he had to fall back, I followed up.
I was then charged in the rear by his cavalry unit, if I still had an arête point could I have broken off from the infantry and countercharged the cavalry ?

Couple more battles and I'm sure the games will go a lot quicker and we'll be able to complete them, unlike this one lol.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: A first game of Men of Bronze (update 4/5/19)
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
Nice write up Jeff,mins look great  :)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
Another useful write up and a great looking game too.

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »
Added your questions to the FAQ that should be out tomorrow on my blog. 

Keep asking and I will keep updating the FAQ. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
Jeff.
Nice post, loved the figures and your wide/shallow hoplites vs deeper phalangites.

(Look forward to reading the FAQ too).

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments chaps, hope the thread has been helpful to some :)