Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Pirate Fleet Builder released  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
[Commercial] Pirate Fleet Builder released
« on: April 29, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »
Hi guys,

you might have followed my progress of designing the series of "Pirate Fleet" ships during the last months.

I am very happy to announce that the full series will be now available in May. For more details and pics check out http://www.papierschnitzel.com/pirate-fleet-builder/ on my site.

I will run a special introduction deal during May and will soon share the details and discount codes here!

Enjoy
Chris
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:39:45 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Re: [Commercial] Pirate Fleet Builder released
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 05:34:59 AM »
The Fleet is live and released!

You might have seen my work in progress during the last months and now it's time to release my baby to the world!

To celebrate, I have created some special offers. The first 25 get 25% off the bundles! That's almost $10 off vs retail prices!!! Also I have included the "Wooden docks" as Gumroad exclusives.  :o
Full ship bundle: 25% for the first 25 -> https://gumroad.com/l/LoaWj/midfleetlimited
Small ship bundle: 25% for the first 25 -> https://gumroad.com/l/espCw/smallfleetlimited

During May the bundles are 15% off!
Full ship bundle: 15% off in May -> https://gumroad.com/l/LoaWj/midbundleintro
Small ship bundle: 15% off in May -> https://gumroad.com/l/espCw/smallbundleintro

Enjoy one of the most affordable ways to build as many ships as you like!  :D
Chris

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:51:39 AM »
Well, snaffled one of the special offers. Any particular reason you went with Gumroad? I can't get paypal payments to work with firefox and they charged a huge chunk of VAT. :(

Need to wait till I get home before I check them out, also the large ships pack is ominously called "Medium Ships".   ;D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 02:20:20 AM »
Well, snaffled one of the special offers. Any particular reason you went with Gumroad? I can't get paypal payments to work with firefox and they charged a huge chunk of VAT. :(

Need to wait till I get home before I check them out, also the large ships pack is ominously called "Medium Ships".   ;D

First of all, thank you very much for your support.   :-*

Regarding the Gumroad issues please contact me using info@papierschnitzel.com so I can address this in detail. The quick summary is Gumroad is a great tool for me and I also offer the ships on OBS/DriveThru but have not been able to get the discounts to work with bundles with their support. So still waiting for them to fix that so I can announce the OBS side.

The "Medium Ships" are in fact the medium ones! I have large ships planned later and these will then become the "Large Ships" Bundle  :D

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 05:36:21 AM »
I have finally got the help from DriveThru support to setup the bundles discount codes.

So here are the 15% off codes for the ship bundles valid thru May.

Medium Ships Bundle (5 ships!): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=999b5176c8
Small Ships Bundle (3 ships): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=9999e15898

Enjoy!
Chris

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:32:44 AM »
Really want to get, especially with the docks, but gumroad want to permanently link to my paypal or save my details for later purchases, so immediately walked away from it.

Their adding VAT may seem legit, but not encountered that before in that way, so I will go via usual known route. might cost me more but in my view that goes to you anyway

I don't know their platform and have no wish to have them linked to me like that.

Will look at it later in the month when i have more funds available and get via drivethrough.

That aside, great stuff Papierschnitzel, as always, looking forward to the KS later

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
I've paid and started the download but it is hanging? For about 4 hours now.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »
The quick summary is Gumroad is a great tool for me and I also offer the ships on OBS/DriveThru but have not been able to get the discounts to work with bundles with their support. So still waiting for them to fix that so I can announce the OBS side.

Cheers, I was just curious whether they gave you a bigger cut or something. With Gumroad aside from the behaviour mentioned (e.g. requesting PayPal recurring permissions which I will cancel) I can't tell when stuff gets updated as far as I can see like DriveThru does with your library. On the subject of DriveThru I've noticed there's a lot of inconsistencies on how your stuff shows up, a lot of it doesn't appear on Wargame Vault and only on DriveThruRPG.

Their adding VAT may seem legit, but not encountered that before in that way, so I will go via usual known route. might cost me more but in my view that goes to you anyway

Yeah looking at it I think technically VAT is supposed to be added to digital purchases, at least in the UK. Doesn't make it hurt any less getting charged 20% extra. :(

I've paid and started the download but it is hanging? For about 4 hours now.

On DriveThru? Unless you have a really slow connection I would just cancel and try again at that point, I've had issues where it hangs zipping the files up (before the download begins).

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
Yep, that is what it is doing, hanging in the zipping process.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
Yep, that is what it is doing, hanging in the zipping process.

Yeah I would just cancel and retry, you can also go to your library and try and download fewer files at a time (there's quite a lot in this set).

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »
Regarding Gumroad, the change to link to the paypal account was relatively recent (I think earlier this year was the first time I noticed it).

I don't know why they do it, unless they're also selling things on subscription. However, I just log into paypal afterwards and cancel it.

I believe VAT should be charged now on pretty much everything :'( There are still a surprising number of sites that don't, but I expect they'll be made to change their ways at some point. Given current the pound/dollar conversion rates, the VAT can bump it up to pretty much 1:1

Regarding the drivethru download issue, I've pretty much given up going for the zipped option and just download the files one at a time. Watermarking seems to slow things down as well, although I have no idea how they watermark a zip file ???

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »
Regarding Gumroad, the change to link to the paypal account was relatively recent (I think earlier this year was the first time I noticed it).

I don't know why they do it, unless they're also selling things on subscription. However, I just log into paypal afterwards and cancel it.

Yeah I bought some rules last year from them and I never got the PayPal thing.

Regarding the drivethru download issue, I've pretty much given up going for the zipped option and just download the files one at a time. Watermarking seems to slow things down as well, although I have no idea how they watermark a zip file ???

The watermark is them adding your name and stuff to all the PDFs in the zip. :P

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
Thank you guys for the interest in the ships!!!  :-* :-* :-*

I have read up on the VAT. So if you are based in the EU you will get VAT added. I would have assumed that it subtracted from the price like when I go shopping in the EU. Unlike the US we here are used to the price tag being what you pay in the end.

I think when you buy via DriveThru, no VAT will be added because of Tax laws between US and EU.

I have one request, please eMail directly to me (info@papierschnitzel.com) if you have any problems or questions as I cannot guarantee when I look in here. It's all exploding a bit today  :)

I have the same experience with DriveThru with full package download. It always get's stuck. I do single line download and even then I have to retry every now and then.

I haven't checked how Gumroad handles updates with my products but I remember getting a lot of update eMails about other stuff I bought there. But if the sales continue like this I have a couple of updates I want to throw in! So we can test that then.

Regarding cut, I got the standard non-exclusive cut on OBS which is a whopping 35% and I upgraded Gumroad to 3.5% cut. You can see why I like Gumroad maybe  ;)

I hope I have answered all issue touched above. If I have missed anything please let me know.

Again thank you so much for your support! This means so much after investing so much time and energy over the last months.

I have many more ships planned if you want more  ;D

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
Regarding cut, I got the standard non-exclusive cut on OBS which is a whopping 35% and I upgraded Gumroad to 3.5% cut. You can see why I like Gumroad maybe 

I thought maybe the standard 30% retail cut but 35% to 3.5% is insane. That said it seems Gumroad is only really set up for direct sales where you're actively promoting the link from your website or whatever. There's no storefront as such like DriveThru where random people will come across your stuff, so you're getting a potentially bigger audience plus buyers get the extra features like the library and stuff.

The only thing Gumroad seems to have is a search bar and I've tried searching for your ships from the Gumroad main page and can't get them show in any results at all using various terms so no idea how the searches work.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »
I thought maybe the standard 30% retail cut but 35% to 3.5% is insane. That said it seems Gumroad is only really set up for direct sales where you're actively promoting the link from your website or whatever. There's no storefront as such like DriveThru where random people will come across your stuff, so you're getting a potentially bigger audience plus buyers get the extra features like the library and stuff.

The only thing Gumroad seems to have is a search bar and I've tried searching for your ships from the Gumroad main page and can't get them show in any results at all using various terms so no idea how the searches work.

Yes that is the big difference. And that's the reason OBS is able to get that cut, because as you said customers will just find you through their site. It's the Amazon of RPG products :-) And the 35% is for non-exclusivity.

I am trying for best of both worlds  :D