Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cold War Gaming using Seven Days to the River Rhine  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Cold War Gaming using Seven Days to the River Rhine
« on: April 29, 2019, 03:36:01 PM »
Yesterday, Doug Wright & I had our first game of Seven Days to the River Rhine. It was a cracking game, we both really enjoyed it and are looking forward to playing many more games with this great set of rules. I've added a battle report with loads more photos on my hobby blog @

Both Doug and I had played 1980's Cold War games before using Cold War Commander, WRG and Cold War Commander rules among others so we had the miniatures and the terrain all ready to go. Seven Days to the River Rhine (7DTRR) is a battlegroup level set of rules. A model vehicle represents a single vehicle and a stand of infantry represents a section of infantry or a support weapon such as Milan or a Mortar.

We played using 6mm miniatures, I think they are from Heroics & Ross, from several decades ago. We played on a 6' x 6' gaming area. I like 6mm scale for Cold War gaming as I feel it gives a good representation of troop density and ranges.

I've added a battle report with loads more photos on my hobby blog @  http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Hobby-Blog/Seven-Days-to-the-River-Rhine-a-first-game
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Cold War Gaming using Seven Days to the River Rhine
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:24:42 AM »
Really nice write up Chris.
Like the look of the game.
Smaller scales work well with the unit sizes.
Thanks for the post.
I will be following other posts you make.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:59 AM »
Thanks for the info.
The rules are based on IRON CROSS, they had some great ideals but were incomplete, clunky fire mechanics but did not quite deliver.
Has this cold war version been refined , improved on the original ww2 version?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 08:30:35 AM »
Yesterday, Doug Wright & I had our first game of Seven Days to the River Rhine. It was a cracking game, we both really enjoyed it and are looking forward to playing many more games with this great set of rules. I've added a battle report with loads more photos on my hobby blog @

Both Doug and I had played 1980's Cold War games before using Cold War Commander, WRG and Cold War Commander rules among others so we had the miniatures and the terrain all ready to go. Seven Days to the River Rhine (7DTRR) is a battlegroup level set of rules. A model vehicle represents a single vehicle and a stand of infantry represents a section of infantry or a support weapon such as Milan or a Mortar.

We played using 6mm miniatures, I think they are from Heroics & Ross, from several decades ago. We played on a 6' x 6' gaming area. I like 6mm scale for Cold War gaming as I feel it gives a good representation of troop density and ranges.

I've added a battle report with loads more photos on my hobby blog @  http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Hobby-Blog/Seven-Days-to-the-River-Rhine-a-first-game
It would be polite to answer , since we bothered to comment .

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
Hi Lysandros,

Very sorry, I did not mean to appear impolite by not replying straight away. I had a day away from the computer yesterday doing some proof reading, so have only just seen your comment from yesterday.

I have not played Iron Cross, so not sure how they compare, however in 7 Days to The River Rhine firing seemed straight forward. Each unit has a fire factor that reflects there training. This could be '5+' for example. Tactical modifiers are added to this for things like moving and shooting. You then have to roll above this on a D10 to hit. If you hit you check to see if you have penetrated armor by rolling a D10 and adding the penetration value of your weapon. This is compared to armor of target.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:28:50 PM »
Quote from: Lysandros
It would be polite to answer , since we bothered to comment .

Maybe you shouldn't "bother" commenting if you think a day of not replying is someone being impolite.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
Hi Lysandros,

Very sorry, I did not mean to appear impolite by not replying straight away. I had a day away from the computer yesterday doing some proof reading, so have only just seen your comment from yesterday.

I have not played Iron Cross, so not sure how they compare, however in 7 Days to The River Rhine firing seemed straight forward. Each unit has a fire factor that reflects there training. This could be '5+' for example. Tactical modifiers are added to this for things like moving and shooting. You then have to roll above this on a D10 to hit. If you hit you check to see if you have penetrated armor by rolling a D10 and adding the penetration value of your weapon. This is compared to armor of target.
Thanks that's very kind and interesting.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »
Maybe you shouldn't "bother" commenting if you think a day of not replying is someone being impolite.
l find your tone rather juvenile and rude . Please do not engage with me again.
Good day .

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 08:08:25 PM »
l find your tone rather juvenile and rude . Please do not engage with me again.
Good day .

Good day to you! I found your post to Chris rude.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:14:09 PM by Gibby »

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
Chris, thanks for the write up - looks very interesting!  A couple of further questions if you can answer them?

I'm looking for a ruleset that allows me to use 'company' size forces (as you seem to have been using) but in 15mm.  Are there unit coherency restrictions, and would you envisage them producing the 'tank park' effect seen on Team Yankee tables?

Also is there anything in the way of 'national characteristics' as seen in other games as army-wide traits, or is it purely a numbers game with such implied through unit stats?

Cheers!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »

Thanks for your comments. Please note that the rules are written and published by Great Escape Games, and they have done a great job with them. I have not played 'Team Yankee' because I was not a fan of 'Flames of War' where you did have that tank park effect. My understanding is that the rules were developed to enable you to field a company size battlegroup. All of the images in the book, and Great Escapes demo games at shows use 15mm models.

There are no unit coherency rules, you can spread your forces out over what ever frontage is needed.
Training level is represented in unit stats, but there are national characteristic rules such as 'Soviet Platoon Firing' for example.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Sounds absolutely spot on for what I'm after.  I'll see about picking a copy up Asap! Thanks for the quick response  ;)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the report.

I have bought and read the rules but have not had a chance to try them out yet. But they do seem very good. I will be using my 6mm collection as well. As I find that to be a good scale for this sort of thing.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
my turn to ask questions...

1)  how infantry (and mechanized infantry) platoons are organized? One stand=1 squad or 1 stand=1 team? In your description it seems the former for the Soviets and the latter for the British Army.

2) what armies have been listed in the rules?

Oh, nice battle report!
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »
Infantry stands represent a section, so a platoon would normally have 3 stands.
Support weapon teams like Milan & Mortars represent a weapon team.

I will need to check my rule book when I get home for definitive last of nationalities covered, but from top of my head I think it is pretty much Nato countries + France and Soviet Union + Warsaw Pact Allies.