Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Superglue doesn't hold weapons/limbs for long.  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Superglue doesn't hold weapons/limbs for long.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned superglue in combination with Green Stuff yet!

I learned this trick from a gamer friend, over a decade ago: Take a small blob of Green Stuff, with an ever so small bias towards the yellow part in this case, and put it between the two parts you want to stick together. Make sure you add a drop of superglue (best would be the gel version; I highly prefer it over the thin type) first to the side you initially place it on.

Then add some superglue to the other part and press the parts firmly together until you can release the parts, and presto.

You might have to cut away the excess Green Stuff after it has dried, but the bond will be super strong.

What this method does, is provide your glue a perfectly flush surface to adhere to; the green stuff simply eliminates each and every gap. I do recommend still scoring the  metal surfaces of your parts beforehand though; the more grip the glue and Green stuff have, the better!

Of course, there is no substitute for pinning all parts, but I've found that there are miniature lines (I'm looking at you Infinity!) that have such small parts that they're impossible to pin because of ridiculous fiddliness. And in such cases, the above method may be of great help.

Also; try using your glue in the early morning, when temperatures have not risen as much as in the afternoon or evening.

Oh; and change glue brands; this might be the key. Superficially they're all the same compound, but in practice, I've noticed there really is quite a difference, so try and find a brand that does what you want. I personally use Bison or Pattex Gel Superglue.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
I've had poor results with the glue and greenstuff combination.

The bond appears fine at first, but after a few months the arms start falling off even with delicate handling.
I dont know if its the consistency of my green stuff, the brand of glue, the humidity/climate in my house or some other factor.

I mention the humidity because the green stuff is all dried up and crumbly, when the arms fall off.

I've tried thin super glue and gel, both loctite and off brand.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
I know that super glue bonds preferentially with water (hence the treatment for spills and accidents), hence the problem in high humidity.

@Daothar - I have not tried that method.