Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689632
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An ECW bastion  (Read 604 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
An ECW bastion
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:29:49 AM »
I wanted a small bastion or earthwork for my English Civil War forces to fight over, and found a 3d printable model of gabions in various setups over on Thingiverse to make the build easier.

The whole thing is 9"x9" in footprint, which is what the Pikeman's Lament rules want for a bastion; it also turns out to be a reasonable size for a single-gun emplacement.

The base is heavy plastic card, the central area is raised slightly on a 6"x6" scrap of EPVC, and then the area outside the gabions has been filled with slivers of styrofoam. That in turn got covered with a texture mix of plaster, glue, and sand. The planking on the inside and down the ramp is wood coffee stir sticks.

I thought about adding sharpened logs embedded in the ground as extra obstacles outside the gabion walls, but I think I'll leave that off. I have some freestanding chevaux-des-frise from Renedra I can put in place on the tabletop.

Couple more pics over on the blog: http://www.warbard.ca/2019/05/04/a-17th-century-bastion-part-one

UPDATED to fix the URL above, because I screwed it up...

Paint tomorrow, probably. Feedback, suggestions, or ideas welcomed!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:02:23 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: An ECW bastion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:12:43 AM »
Looks good!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.