Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lambs to the Slaughter? 15mm Assyrians go to Patras! (Madaxeman)  (Read 1298 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
The much-trailed Assyrian army has finally made it not only onto the table, but onto a plane, and into a 5-round competition in sunny (and rainy) Greece at the 2019 Patras Challenge.

The Winged Lion of Assyria takes on three very different Roman armies, a Classical Indian and finally the Han Chinese in a series of battles fitted carefully in between bouts of extreme eating and drinking across a swathe of the Patrene nightlife's top venues.

Watch as the the newly minted chariots and infantry, supported by archer cavalry do their very best on a number of different playing surfaces to dodge between the cakes, biscuits and pieces of lamb which attempt to prove more problematic than their enemies

Even goats occasionally get a look in. And not just in their cooked variety!

Its all there in glorious sunshine, so roll up your Gyros, sizzle up some Spanakopita and chuck a halloumi slice on the bbq to enjoy these 5 consecutive reports

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:02:37 PM by madaxeman »
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Lambs to the Slaughter? 15mm Assyrians go to Patras! (Madaxeman)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:15:39 AM »
Great stuff!

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
I must admit to being pleasantly surprised how well they turned out myself to be honest - Museum figures do tend to be easy to paint, and when I had the flash of inspiration to print out panels for the chariot walls (or more accurately a flash of realisation that I wasn't a good enough painter to do it any other way and not make them look crap) it really spurred me on to build out the army properly

The page with all the painting on is here: https://www.madaxeman.com/main/Museum_Assyrians.php if you're interested

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:34:33 PM »
An interesting read as I am just getting into ADLG.

What's the thinking behind having 28mm generals for a 15mm army?

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:58:37 PM »
I believe some people (Tim etc.) do this to show superior generals - but I may be mistaken.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
Generals are "non player characters" in ADLG (and also FoG), they don't fight as units and are simply markers.

A few years ago I started using 28mm figures for my CinC's in various armies just to make them stand out from the rest of the men - I guess there's a sort of rationalisation of the 'big man' theory as well, but frankly I did it because I thought it just looked cool !

The Assyrians are a bit unusual in that they have all three generals as 28mm figures. This again isn't part of a clever plan - it was because I couldn't find any single-figure Assyrian generals that I liked, and I didn't want to waste the other 7 figures out of a (£10) pack of the excellent Foundry Assyrian infantry officers.

Online swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »
Wow that is my dream holiday!