Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: cutting metal minis  (Read 1031 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
cutting metal minis
« on: May 05, 2019, 09:36:47 PM »
Hello
after years of very bad results with various cutters, stanley knifes ecc...i would like, as suggested in various articles, some more specific tools...my need are quite basic..above all cutting metal parts of 28mm and some few times 20mm minis ..for example transforming a generic infantryman in a cavalry rider by cutting torsos and legs from two different minis and then converting in something passable...i find that with a simple cutter too much work on metal and with an electric rotary tool a little bit dangerous...so i've already ordered a rasor saw and want to order also a jewelry saw..like this one:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-pack-Jewellery-Saw-Blade-Round-Back-Finecutting/253039947447?hash=item3aea5b2eb7:m:mNKtTJzvHP0ogVk6wuLIjmg
can you please give me some suggestions based on your experience and, above all, wich blade sizes i should choose?
thank you very much for advice and patience
Pier

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: cutting metal minis
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
I have used razor saws for many years.  My current one came from Amazon - Zona SA35/500 35-500 Universal Saw

I find it works very well.  There are finer ones but they are not as robust for metal but are great on plastic figures.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:20:07 AM »
A pack of £1 craft knife blades and time generally works for me...  :'(

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »
Back when I got my very first metal miniatures (a box of Space Wolf Bloodclaws, back in 1990 or somewhere around that time), I did all my cutting with a Stanley knife, as that was the only thing I had available at the time. I had decided I wanted to convert this squad into Dark Angels (oh, the irony lol ), and therefore had to do a lot of cleaning up. Wolf tails, pelts and tassels all had to be removed and I did it all with that one (not too sharp) Stanley blade.

Over the years I became very adept at (re) sculpting metal miniatures, but as Wyrmala already mentioned; it took a lot of time and effort. but the results were good; I actually re sculpted a chest eagle on the sergeant of the above squad out of the bare metal of the mini!

But it was slow going, mildly dangerous (I have the scars to back up that claim), and not as detailed and fine as I'd have liked.

So I dug out the jeweler's saw I had to get when I started the academy of fine arts, but never much used. And that was my conversion work horse for decades. It's useful in the sense that you can create curving cuts following contours etc, but it will still only be a 2D curve; the blade has to be straight, and having too much slack on it, or too much laterar force (in either the Y or Z axis) will break it immediately.

And I've broken my share of blades over the years... ::)

But late last year, I found a reasonably prized razor saw (by Tamiya) on Ebay and bought it. And for straight cuts, it simply cannot be beat! No curves are possible, but the cut is very thin, very straight and because of the size and shape of the blade, you can exert ample power to the blade without fear of snapping it too.

So that has been another welcome addition to my arsenal. I rarely dry-sculpt metal anymore, as these days, I will simply cut away too much and then sculpt it back in putty, but both the jeweler's saw and razor saw are used very frequently.

Blade types; there are all sorts, but I recommend getting the finer ones for soft metal, but basically any saw blade for cutting metal is ok. Just make sure you put them into the saw the right way, or you'll cut when pushing instead of pulling, which will not work at all.

Smaller teeth give more control over the cut and make it easier to curve and control. And because they're smaller, they will also pull out less material per stroke, and that means less force is required, leading to less breakage (but there will be plenty of snapped blades at first, be prepared for that...).

Don't worry about the blades filling up with metal; this can be pulled out/off easily, and I often do that by simply running my thumb along the blade, gently breaking off the pewter/lead. If you use them with plastics, it's a completely different game though, as plastic will melt, and if you stop sawing, the plastic will cool and harden again and the blade can get completely stuck, embedded in the plastic.

So it takes a bit of trial and error to find the right sawing speed to prevent melting the plastic (which obviously varies per plastic type). regarding the wearing out of blades; I've never had a blade last long enough for it to dull, so I really can't comment on that :D

As for the razor saw; just get one made for model making and you're good. Blades will not break (unless you really go berzerk with them) and the teeth are designed to make as smooth as possible a cut anyway, and I've used it on both metal and plastic without issue so far. It's too early to tell if prolonged cutting of pewter will dull the blade quickly, but there was a replacement blade included with mine, so it looks like the makers do expect them to wear out over time ... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
many thanks to all...asking directly on LAF suggestions by friedly gamer is invaluable!
Daeothar your descriptioon is a masterpiece also from a litteral point of view :)...in my eyes your guide seem something like a work from Leonardo da Vinci ...thanks very much

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »
Thanks italwars. :)  That's really high praise (never needed a blushing emoticon before, but I now find that the LAF does not have one lol ).

I just hope it was useful for you. Sharing experiences, help and ideas is a big part of the LAF community after all. Right after sharing pretty pictures of miniatures of course ;).

The jeweler's saw you saw on Ebay should be just fine by the way; it even comes with a variety of saw blades if I'm correct, so you can find out for yourself which type and gauge works best for you...

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
I use a jewelers saw and I really love it for the purpose.  I've had it forever, so I don't remember where, or even when, I got it.

I've never used them, but I've seen metal cutting blades for the X-acto handles. I've used the wood blades before, and those are good, so I presume the metal ones would also work.
- Scott

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 10:12:08 PM »
I use a razor saw and Andy of Heresy recommended the Xuron track cutter shears for cutting metal. Found mine very useful over the years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xuron-Track-Cutter-2175B-Suitable/dp/B000IBOOU8
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 06:01:23 AM »
I use a razor saw, but I've had it for over 40 years so I've no idea what blade size it is. Works great on everything.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
I use a razor saw for cutting figures from bases and general cuting.

I use a Xuron track cutter for cutting bar and rod brass.

I have two very elderly wire cutters that I use for clipping bits off.