Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690650
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: M3 Lee tanks in 1/56 - Deciding between Blitzkrieg and Warlord  (Read 744 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hi all,

I'm currently re-doing my WW2 GIs for Torch and the Tunisian campaign, and, for a change, would like to equip them with M3 Lee tanks.

I've seen that both Blitzkrieg and Warlord do a kit for this vehicle, and since I had positive experience with both companies, but could only find an online review (generally favourable) for the Warlord kit, I wondered if someone had experience with the Blitzkrieg model in particular - as said, the models I've seen in the flesh were quite fine, but I have heard that other kits from the line had some casting quality issues and wonder if that might be true for the (rather complex-shaped) M3 Lee, too.

Modelwise, I am inclined towards the Blitzkrieg kit since it has the counterweights for the guns (which I like the look of) and seems a bit crisper in areas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: M3 Lee tanks in 1/56 - Deciding between Blitzkrieg and Warlord
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »
Depending on your timescale, it is on our nag list on the Rubicon forum:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=233.0

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »
 lol

I was afraid of something like that, since I absolutely LOVE the Rubicon stuff (and will do the softskins and halftracks from their kits).

It would be nice if it didn't take another four years to come to fruition.

Still, good news, and thanks for the pointer!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »
Talking about each company in general terms, as I have neither kit.

Warlord's resin vehicles are typically hand built. In cases that's led to some details being incorrect, or missing. Though they tend to have a decent level of detail in general (not as much as other companies like Die Waffenkammer however). In the past I've came across casting faults with them, like parts shrinkage (particularly with the track assemblies), bubbles, etc. Their customer service tends to be decent enough to deal with any of those issues. Shipping times aren't bad, as are the prices fairly middling.

Blitzkrieg 3D prints their masters. This has led in their case to some details being a bit large or simplified in my experience. I find their models have a very "flat" look as far as the surfaces go. Their barrels and other parts tend to be resin, whilst Warlord's may be either resin or metal - and include metal parts for other small pieces on occasion. Both companies vehicles lack detail on the underside of the models typically. As for shipping, Blitzkrieg take a bit longer - both in sending things out and the postal time (in total a couple of weeks to the UK - as opposed to a week or two at most with Warlord). Their prices are usually a bit lower than Warlord's, and they seem to have sales more often if you check their Facebook page (though on less items than Warlord's sales).

If you're deciding between the kits I'd probably recommend Warlord's, and then add any details they messed up. Blitzkrieg's models are a bit simpler, even if quality control in my experience is better - so there's less cleanup. If you want the models faster then buy with Warlord. If that's not an issue then hold out for a Rubicon release, as their's will likely be far superior to either company's current products.