Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:42:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arthurian Warlords by Gripping Beast  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Arthurian Warlords by Gripping Beast
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »
New toys coloured in recently for Gripping Beast.

The first (mounted) Warlord is Arthur himself (maybe) or someone pretending to be him.

The very nice foot Warlord is the SAGA Grand Melee (I have no idea when or where this is by the way) free figure, so I don't know if he'll be available to buy separately or not. The shield is an LBM transfer but the metal boss and surround are all my own work, with no help from my mum or anything.

And an attractive side-by-side pic.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline H.G. Walls

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
Re: Arthurian Warlords by Gripping Beast
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
I really like your work!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »
Lovely  8)

The white on that horse is stunning.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
Yes, lovely whitework on that horse.

Is this a new forthcoming Arthur from GB? Sculpt style looks a little Spanish. Nice.
Blog: Ether Drake's Cave

https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »
They really are attractive, well done Cubs. Particularly like the chunks of slate used on the basing. And the shield rim is cracking. Your mum can be proud.

They don’t look like they quite belong together mind you. The figure on foot looks like a Colin Patten sculpt from his short-lived (ex) Saxon Miniatures line, now owned by WG.
Whereas the mounted figure, in common with their other recent character warlord figures, has a willowy, almost Tom Meier-ish look about him. They’re both lovely in their own way (although I have a few packs of the Saxon Miniatures Arthurian figures and the casting is TERRIBLE). It’s just a bit peculiar that Warlord are running two ranges covering the same era, but in totally different styles?

Eclectic, you might say ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 06:53:14 PM »
Thanks guys. I struggle with white, because I tend to layer from dark to light, and that's a tough ask with white. So this time I did a base coat of pale grey and then added shade and highlights either side. It was a lot easier.

Yes Captain, you're right that they're different sculptors. This Arthur must be the same sculptor as did the Cnut model I painted around Christmas time, because the style is so nicely proportioned (sort of reminds me of the old Mithril LOTR range from the 80's in a way), whereas the other Warlord is an equally nice model, but with more mainstream proportions to fit with other ranges.

I don't know if it's a conscious effort to have different styles with different ranges, or if this foot Warlord is a one-off for the SAGA tourney, or what.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:18:04 PM »
Thanks guys. I struggle with white, because I tend to layer from dark to light, and that's a tough ask with white. So this time I did a base coat of pale grey and then added shade and highlights either side. It was a lot easier.

Is the horse just done with grey and white, or is there any secret in the recipe too, like any sort of brown or anything?

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
Wow, awesome work.  I have saved these pictures for inspiration.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
Is the horse just done with grey and white, or is there any secret in the recipe too, like any sort of brown or anything?

It's a grey palette I've pre-mixed for myself that I labelled Rebel Grey - it's got a little brown in the grey shade as well. The shading glaze has a hint of brown as well in it, so you can see that in the shadows.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 10:05:19 AM »
Great job mate!

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »
Absolutely fantastic! Your style gives them something ancient and magical like straight out of a John Howe painting (if that makes any sense)! Great basing as well  :-*

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »
Lovely work on those two Cubs. The mounted Arthur almost looks too tall to me when compared to the horse although that doesn't mean the colouring in isn't top drawer as always.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
Lovely work on those two Cubs. The mounted Arthur almost looks too tall to me when compared to the horse although that doesn't mean the colouring in isn't top drawer as always.

The Cnut model was the same. I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence and that both models are representing an unusually tall man (some legends put Arthur at 7ft, but this seems to be a standard way of saying 'very tall' in a lot of legends), or if the sculptor is showing smaller horses around in the Dark Ages, of if it's just his sculpting style.

Online James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
Very lovely indeed! And great work on the white horse.

Gripping Beast use a Spanish sculptor called Angel for their occasional personality models - I believe he did Cnut and El Cid a while back. I think he’s ex-Andrea Miniatures, hence the sculpting style. It is very different to some of the chunkier models. The foot model looks like a Colin Patten sculpt, though I didn’t think he did any work for GB any more.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »
Fabulous work sir!

cheers
Matt