Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:12:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »
Strolling down memory lane on the blog today with some Cybertronic troops from way back in the Nineties:

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2019/05/nostalgia-time-first-edition-warzone.html

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:43:16 AM »
Fond memories.

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »
I have a Cybertronic army with these guys in it. I like them a lot! Your's look good! I still am a fan of WZ 1st. It had some warts but was easy to play and you could run really large games.

Thanks,

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »
Love those minis, you’ve done an ace job.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
I still am a fan of WZ 1st. It had some warts but was easy to play and you could run really large games.

Very true.  I found 2nd edition rather disappointing by comparison, the troop stats felt a bit too same-y compared with 1st.  Neither was perfect, but 1st holds a lot more nostalgia appeal for me.  Didn't hurt that you could build bad guy armies out of cheap Siege of the Citadel figs, of course.  :)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
Ive painted unit of those guys for a friend in a day..
They were on of the best sculpts in 1st edition and translated well to the casting.

Ive heard 3rd edition was best one, but most of the minis of faction I would play (Legion of darkness) were a bit pooish (couldn't live up to art based expectations)  so never tried (but I still have a few)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »
Ive painted unit of those guys for a friend in a day..
They were on of the best sculpts in 1st edition and translated well to the casting.

Agreed.  Also pleasantly generic.  Mine served duty in Necromunda, Shock Force, and several RPG campaigns including Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
Lovely, Warzone is a treasure!

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
Lots of fond memories!

I still have a ton of figs, mostly Bauhaus. (And lots of Chronopia, too.) I was excited when Prodos revived the game but I waited to see if gamers were interested. Glad I waited, but a shame it failed.

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
Yaaasss!  Warzone was good.  The whole three-action thing from 1st Edition was solid.  I still have a drawer of unpainted guys, including these fellows.

I feel like the company had no idea how to break in, and the handling of the whole Mutant Chronicles IP was botched after it changed hands about a half-dozen times.  But that 1996 feel was strong, and I am smiling just seeing these old guys. 

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
Back in the day, in my area, Warzone was always considered to be a bit of a gimpy 40K wannabe, and nobody I knew played the game, even though it was represented quite well in the local gaming shop.

I remember receiving several Warzone miniatures on birthdays and for Sinterklaas over the years (due to lacking interest, they were on perpetual discount, so obvious choices for bewildered relatives looking for gifts), but I never really took a fancy to them. it wasn't until later, when they featured regularly in Harbringer magazine, that I sort of warmed up to them.

Eventually I even began painting up a Cybertronic miniature, but that stalled, and it's actually been sitting on the shelf of shame till this very day...

But a couple of years ago, nostalgic git that I am becoming, I picked up a batch of Capitol miniatures and painted them up for use as generic space soldiers. Now there was something that clicked in regards to the miniatures' look and feel, and painting that squad completely changed my opinion.

These guys are great miniatures, have a lot of character and indeed evoke this fuzzy nineties feeling, twenty years later.

There are too many projects on my plate as it is, but I'd really love to paint up a few squads of different factions, just for the heck of it. Especially the Dark brotherhood with its completely zany mutant monsters.

You certainly put a nice paintjob on these guys. They actually already were seasoned veterans when you painted them, and it's great to see some again.

Oh, and for your viewing pleasure, here are those Capitol guys I painted a few years back... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
Oh, and for your viewing pleasure, here are those Capitol guys I painted a few years back... :)

Image links appear dead to me, unfortunately.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
Prince August Games carry the War Zone classic figures and by a remarkable coincidence they are having a 30% off sale till May 14th.

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/mutant-chronicles-warzone-classic/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
Prince August Games carry the War Zone classic figures and by a remarkable coincidence they are having a 30% off sale till May 14th.

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/mutant-chronicles-warzone-classic/
Good to see the old classics are still available. I especially liked the Copplestone sculpts.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »
Good to see the old classics are still available. I especially liked the Copplestone sculpts.

Looks like they've sold out on some things.  No unit pack of Imperial Trencher troopers, for ex, only the sniper and HMG singles.