Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »
No; they're selling off their existing stock, but will not cast anything from the line anymore. I was after a few choice minis to expand my squad, but when contacting PA about those, I was told the above. So Ebay it became... ::)

There's still lots around though, and they tend to go cheaply too.

Btw; link seems to work fine for me, on 3 different machines...  ???
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 07:32:32 PM »
Yeah, despite their age Warzone figs are still pretty common on the secondary market.  Says something about how many were cast and sold, I think.  The 90s were a strong period for miniatures production and distribution, and "Big" Bob Watts was something of a "name" in the business even then.  The game never really competed significantly with 40K, but it was pretty easily found in stores throughout the US, at least.  And when it started to fade a bit we got Vor and Void...lot of people trying to take a bite of the GW pie in that era.  I suppose there still are, but the modern internet makes it easier to do so with direct sales then back before 2000, so the commonality of seeing things sold through distribution has dropped off some.

Links are still glitched for me, vagaries of my ancient software I suspect.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 05:24:53 AM »
Fan of Chronopia and Warzone. Remember getting the Wz rule book back in the day. My buddy picked up Levithan back then.
Got a couple dozen, i think. Cybertronic troops plus specials hitting eBay soon enough plus others.
Going to keep a few Cybertronic troops and a Free Marine or two as well.
and "Big" Bob Watts was something of a "name" in the business even then.
Funny enough I have that fig as well.
But the man behind the fig. I recall reading that he had passed away but not too long ago reading that BBW had joined another company, cant recall who.
So either i recall incorectly years back or there is another BBW in the industry.

Grimm

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »
BBW works at Privateer Press I believe. He was my contact when I was a Privateer Press Pressganger and he worked at Cerberus in the UK. Here's his LinkedIn account:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-watts-896a658/
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
Yes, he's at Privateer these days, they announced him coming on board a while back.  I'll be greatly amused if he gets a miniature of himself as War Machine/Hordes character - most likely a solo.

"BBW" has some unfortunate connotations in the world of adult internet parlance, unfortunately.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 04:02:30 AM »
BBW works at Privateer Press I believe. He was my contact when I was a Privateer Press Pressganger and he worked at Cerberus in the UK. Here's his LinkedIn account:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-watts-896a658/
Yes, he's at Privateer these days, they announced him coming on board a while back.  I'll be greatly amused if he gets a miniature of himself as War Machine/Hordes character - most likely a solo.

"BBW" has some unfortunate connotations in the world of adult internet parlance, unfortunately.
Yes, i thought it was PP but i didn't have time to search for accuracy so i left it blank.
And Rich, how do you know what BBW means on the adult internet these days? ;-)

But what got me was, as i was mentioning above, back some more than 10 years back. I was at a HMGS con in PA and recall reading a sign stating that BBW has passed away. I know i seen this sign and recall it clearly enough. Where i saw the sign, top of the stairs near the Front Desk, whom i was with at the time of seeing the sign, Dave, and the story i had once i read the notice.

Anyone else with me on this or am i just insane?

Grimm

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
The nice thing is that Warzone figs go pretty well with more recent Copplestone stuff. Being from the same sculptor, size and proportions are relative.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:18:33 PM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
The nice thing is that Warzone figs go pretty well with more recent Copplestone stuff. Being from the same sculptor, size and proportions are relative.

Most Warzone's a bit chunkier, but they wear so much heavy armor it's perfectly acceptable.  The "wife beater shirt" Chasseurs are an obvious exception, but given that they're steroid-pumped and jammed full of cyberware I don't mind them being bulky.

But what got me was, as i was mentioning above, back some more than 10 years back. I was at a HMGS con in PA and recall reading a sign stating that BBW has passed away. I know i seen this sign and recall it clearly enough. Where i saw the sign, top of the stairs near the Front Desk, whom i was with at the time of seeing the sign, Dave, and the story i had once i read the notice.

Anyone else with me on this or am i just insane?

Maybe a prank in very bad taste?  Either that or Privateer's using Cryxian recruiting personnel in HR these days and Bob is a reanimated thrall.

And Rich, how do you know what BBW means on the adult internet these days? ;-)

I'm going to go with "cultural osmosis via the internet" as an explanation, same way I've picked up most of my pop culture references in the last twenty years despite being quite the homebody these days.  I will admit to preferring rather Rubenesque women in real life, though.  Twiggy was not my ideal of the female form.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:32 AM »
I always remembered Tim's name as sculptor and not Mark's name it came to that line.
Or were you just talking about the Cybertronic peeps specifically?

Grimm
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:43:03 AM by Grimmnar »

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
It had some warts but was easy to play and you could run really large games.
Hmmm, I seem to remember it being REALLY crunchy and grinding to a standstill with a reasonable sized couple of forces.
Long time ago though, so my memory might be playing up. I have the rules somewhere

Edit: The figures were real hit and miss but the capitol lads are still in my 'to paint' heap.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »
I always remembered Tom's name as sculptor and not Mark's name it came to that line.
Or were you just talking about the Cybertronic peeps specifically?

Grimm
Copplestone did many of the first releases of corporations' humans; Cybertronic chasseurs, Capitol troopers and free marines, Bauhaus hussars, Imperial Blood Berets and wolfbanes). Also one pack of Undead Legionnaires and one Centurion.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »
Its shows on the quality of the sculpts.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
Hmmm, I seem to remember it being REALLY crunchy and grinding to a standstill with a reasonable sized couple of forces.
Long time ago though, so my memory might be playing up. I have the rules somewhere
I've never played the game myself, so I can't really comment, but I do understand that there were significant changes between 1st and 2nd edition.

Also, there appears to be a clear distinction between miniatures released for 1st and 2nd edition, but again; I certainly can't tell. I just know I've recently taken a liking to those goofy, bulky and over the top nineties guys.

Edit: The figures were real hit and miss but the capitol lads are still in my 'to paint' heap.
Couldn't agree more on the Capitol miniatures. Some, such as the Light Infantry, with their Yogi Bear hats are kind of meh to me, but the Heavy plus Naval Troopers and the Free Marines are definitely my favourites!

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
There were 3 editions of Warzone and never prodos 4th.

First wasclunky
Second was streamlined (and had some plastic models)
Third was combination of two

If you want to try this game i suggest Third edition big rule book as most comprehensive set.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
Personaly I had the 1st and 2nd edition, I prefer the version 1.