Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scrappers vs This is Not a Test  (Read 1716 times)

Offline swampedbybunnies

• Assistant
Scrappers vs This is Not a Test
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
Can anyone compare both? I've played Scrappers a fair bit and am curious about the other, but it is a fairly expensive rulebook so have not yet taken the plunge.

Our post apocalypse games have been side tracked for a while while we play other stuff, but I intend to get back to it.

I'm familiar with the basic mechanisms from youtube, but I'm curious about the warband flexibility/ campaign structure. One of our players is a bit Neutral about Scrappers, so I'm wondering if this game might fit better: he likes Empire of the Dead, and we used to play Legends of the High Seas/ Old West.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: Scrappers vs This is Not a Test
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:06 PM »
Unfamiliar with Scrappers, but rules/structure-wise TINAT is often compared to Mordheim, which I think compares similarly to LOTOW structurally if not in the actual rules mechanics.  No damned die roll charts though.  lol. Absolutely hated those things.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 02:10:11 AM »
Swampedbybunnies,

Google some "Guerilla Miniature Games This is Not a Test" videos.

Ash has his own apocalyptic game "Last Days", but has great TNT gameplay videos.    Watch a couple videos, TNT plays just like his videos and I think it's quite fun.   Ash's game Last Days is good fun too.   There's fun end game rolls afterwards too.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 01:31:40 AM »
I've not played TINAT but I've read the rulebook. Joe captured more of a near apocalypse/Fallout vibe, whereas  I wrote Scrappers as more of a Gamma World without the whimsy type of vibe. Far Future PA as opposed to Near Future PA.

Scrappers is an entirely different game system, and new players either dig it or don't, which is cool. Without any way of knowing whether or not you will like TINAT, it would appear to me that its worth the $$$. Afterall, I bought it too!  ;)

Hope that helps!
Bob
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games