Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690824
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 779
Total: 784

Recent

Author Topic: Talk to me about the Mexican American War...  (Read 1334 times)

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
Talk to me about the Mexican American War...
« on: May 08, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
So, I'm looking for a second big project that I can alternate with my ACW. North America and black powder appeal (I never wanted to work in IT, I wanted to be a cowboy or a Jedi knight). I've looked at F&IW and AWI but for various reasons I'm not feeling it. And then...I've looked at the First Corps range for MAW and I think I want to build a Mexican army!

Does anybody have any experience of this range? Is it as comprehensive as it looks? It's hard to imagine there can be much missing.

Also, I've had a quick search for books about this conflict and the choice seems limited - does anybody have any recommendations?

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Talk to me about the Mexican American War...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »
I don't have any direct experience with the entire line.
However, I did what you wanted to do awhile back. I did 28mm
Mex-Am War. Most of my stuff came from Old Glory, which do have just
about everything you would want. But, I did use some 1st Corps and can
tell you that they are the same size as OG. So, if 1st Corps doesn't have a
complete line you could go with some OG to fill in what they don't have.

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »
Mexican President Santa Anna tried to resemble Napoleon Bonaparte in everything. Perhaps the conversion of the French das excellent Mexican soldiers. At least in the Alamo, the Mexicans looked very much like Napoleon's soldiers.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
Mexican President Santa Anna tried to resemble Napoleon Bonaparte in everything. Perhaps the conversion of the French das excellent Mexican soldiers. At least in the Alamo, the Mexicans looked very much like Napoleon's soldiers.

...so much so in fact that I think OG have use the same basic dollies to produce infantry figures for both range (at least, they look very similar).

I have 3 or 4 units of Mexican Infantry that I need to finish painting and sold as I don’t play this period... well, maybe... I'm still not sure  ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
I know nothing about 1st Corps figures, but I'll blather on about the two armies. Right, not what you asked.

The US Army was that of a fairly wealthy nation.
The regulars were well trained and disciplined. The cavalry were not used to operations above squadron level. The flying artillery was excellent, well equipped with the latest lightweight smooth-bore guns and well mounted.
Leadership varied from excellent to competent to several genuine clunkers.

The Mexican Army was that of a bankrupt and unstable nation. The regular infantry was well drilled but poorly armed. Mexican powder was not good, so soldiers used a lot per round. The resulting recoil led to firing from the hip. Copper balls didn't have the same penetration as lead, so firepower was lower. Mexican cavalry looked impressive but rarely charged home, despite fancy uniforms. This may have been due to small thin mounts. Mexican artillery was well served but suffered from old heavy guns and inferior draft animals.
Leaders were usually better at internal coups than combat against a modern army. Santa Anna had some good ideas; his boldest stroke was at Buena Vista, where he lost many more troops marching across the desert (and back again after losing) than US weapons caused.

US forces established a dominance with the bayonet early on. Mexicans outnumbering the US by 2 to 1 should be an even fight. Kind of like an accurate depiction of Great Northern War Swedes against the Russians.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:28:09 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:27:19 PM »
I looked at the MAW a few years ago and decided that their range was certainly comprehensive enough. My sources were the Osprey MAA and K Jack Bauer's The Mexican War.

At the time I couldn't get anyone else's to get involved so idea got shelved. But last week I ordered 1st Corp figs from their ACW range for another project and they arrived just 2days later. They are fairly chunky figures, easy to paint but with plenty detail and character. I'd say they were bulkier than OG and their brigade/unit/supplement pack system lets you build up an force quite quickly and possibly more flexibly than OG.

Worth looking at I would say based on that service and the breadth of the range.

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
Brilliant, thank you everybody. I think I might just be convinced. I'm a painter much more than a player so the chance of actually being able to use a particular army is less of an issue for me. I also have a general interest in Mexico outside of gaming so I think that's the way I'm going to go regardless of their actual effectiveness.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »
If you are more of a painter have you considered the Boothill range?
http://boothillminiatures.co.uk/

Aimed at the slightly earlier Texan War, but I don’t think there was much difference.  They strike me as much better figures for a painter.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
If you are more of a painter have you considered the Boothill range?
http://boothillminiatures.co.uk/

Aimed at the slightly earlier Texan War, but I don’t think there was much difference.  They strike me as much better figures for a painter.

I'll take a look, but when I say 'painter' that's how I spend my hobby time rather than I'm any good at it!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:42 PM »
Don't have any books to personally recommend, but I am rather partial to the Batallón de San Patricio. 
¡Vivan los San Patricios!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick%27s_Battalion