Forum > Age of the Big Battalions

Confederate Zouave question

(1/7) > >>

tuco74:
I'm trying to find a uniform and flag resource for Confederate Zouaves, can anybody help?

I'm specifically trying to find information on 5th - 9th Louisiana (Hay's Brigade) in the Wilderness.

Ideally I don't want to paint the striped trousers lol if that's an option for at least one regiment and also want to know if all of the regiments carried both the Louisiana state flag and the Louisiana Tigers battle flag.

I'm also not clear if they wore the Zouave uniform by that stage, although I'm happy to represent them that way for a bit of variety and colour (and because I've got the Perry box that needs painting).

Battle Brush Sigur:
As far as I know only like one company of that one regiment wore the famous Zouave uniforms anyway and on top of that they'd been replaced rather quickly after a few months in the field. Usually only the battleflag of the confederacy would have been carried. Very early on some others would be carried, but there was a specific order to have them sent back home and only carry the battle flag (which is why relatively many of the individual and state flags are still around, I heard).

So by 1864 the Zouave uniforms would have been gone and they'd wear the usual irregular regular dress of the Confederate soldier, same with state flags in the Confederate army. If you really want to depict the 9th Louisiana to look a bit different I think you could maybe use a Zouave head with the fez here and there? Bunch of guys wearing them for good luck or something? :D But yeah, in general by the battle of the wilderness the 9th Louisiana would look just like the rest of the Confederate army in the area.

tuco74:
Yeah, I figured that would be the case from what I've read but I'm probably going to model them with the full Zouave uniform (and relevant flags) anyway for some variety. I've seen references to various Louisiana Zouave regiments though and I'm trying to find something that will confirm which ones in particular.

Jemima Fawr:
I can't pretend to be any sort of expert, but I was wondering the same thing last year and from scouring the books and internet discussions, it seems that as has been said, the 'Tiger' Zouave uniform was only really worn by one (the 'Tiger Rifles') company of one regiment for the first year of the war.  An officer's letter from May 1862 describes some members of the company still wearing the uniform, but that's it.

Note that the uniform jacket was BLUE, not brown.  The brown apparently stems from a single faded example that had turned brown with age, but microscopic analysis (including fragments of uniforms found in Tiger Zouave graves) shows blue indigo dye.

There was also Coppens' 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion, which wore a very similar uniform, though with red trousers instead of blue/white stripes - looking VERY much like the Union 5th New York 'Fire' Zouaves.  The entire battalion was dressed this way, though again, the uniform only really lasted for the first year of the war.

As you say though, the Confederate Zouaves are fun to have, so what the hell... ;)

tuco74:

--- Quote from: Jemima Fawr on May 10, 2019, 03:02:39 PM ---I can't pretend to be any sort of expert, but I was wondering the same thing last year and from scouring the books and internet discussions, it seems that as has been said, the 'Tiger' Zouave uniform was only really worn by one (the 'Tiger Rifles') company of one regiment for the first year of the war.  An officer's letter from May 1862 describes some members of the company still wearing the uniform, but that's it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that's very useful - I think I'm going to include them in the full kit just for the hell of it and a splash of colour!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version