Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of St.David July 1814  (Read 1178 times)

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
    • Come on, my brave Fusiliers!
Battle of St.David July 1814
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »
The battle of St. David is a fictional encounter in the Niagara during the War of 1812 . It is the summer of 1814 and the American General Brown is marching his army towards Queenstown to rendezvous with the American fleet.  Their goal is to sail to Kingston, join the American division under General Izard there and capture the enemy naval yard and destroy all ships there.  This blow may cripple the British Navy in the great lakes. British General Drummond, determined to stop him moves his army into a position by the village of St. David.  Here he will attempt to stop the American advance.

The armies for this battle will be based on those who fought at Lundy's Lane.  Being the largest battle fought during this campaign it provides a wide variety of regiments and three good sized  historical commands per side.  As with many things in the miniature war game world I have substituted some regiments who were in the area for those who were there.  This is because I have a number of favorite regiments who I wish to see on the table.  In addition I have increased the size of some regiments to provide a better table top game.

For more pictures &  order of battle:
https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2019/05/battle-of-st-david-july-1814-part-1.html

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
Re: Battle of St.David July 1814
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:28:21 AM »
I love War of 1812 stuff, can't wait to see your AAR. What rule set will you be using?

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »
The Americans marched through and around the village. Ripley's and Scott's brigades were deployed on the right, while Porter's volunteers and the cavalry held the left. The battle plan was for the massed regulars to punch through the right while the volunteers protected their left. The artillery were to neutralize the enemy artillery.

While the British/Canadian line waited patiently behind the fence line the American advance became unglued. Bothered by the fields to his front the regulars advanced in a scattered fashion. Finding he could not deploy all his regulars the right flank commander formed two lines of three battalions each. On the left, with more open ground to his front the commander of the volunteers moved forward in a more solid front maintaining formation. Just out of range of the muskets he changed formation from column into line and waited for the regulars before opening his attack.

Results of the battle and more pictures:

https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-battle-of-st-david-july-1814-part-2.html

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »
Thank you.  The War of 1812 is an great period to War game.  Small armies that can be recreated without breaking the bank.  Reasonably sized battles for the table too.  And a wonderful collection of colorful uniforms.

For rules I started with the free set posted at the Fife and Drum miniatures site. These have been added to and changed for the period. And to reflex my playing style.  I call them Mr. Madison's War.   You can download them here for free.

https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2017/08/mr-madisons-war-rules-for-war-of-1812.html

Miniatures are 25mms from Knuckleduster miniatures.  http://www.knuckleduster.com/shop/

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 04:29:23 PM »
Thank you! Nice battle report, the pictures were a bit fuzzy but that's o.k. I also liked the Tom Lehrer reference. I'll take a look at your rules, I've been thinking of Rebels and Patriots or Sharpe Practice but I am also looking for a proper battle set as well.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41:04 PM »
http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/jonathan.htm

I am looking at the Perfect Captain's free rule set as a basis and mucking around with it a bit. The PC purveys Cousin Jonathan, as a brigade level game and John Bull as a company level game.

I am also reading through Donal Brown's series of books to give me ideas and a background.

It's a shame that the photos were a bit fuzzy. I would be interested to see some of the Brigade Figures stuff painted, as I am thinking of ordering some.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:50:18 PM by huevans »

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:40:28 AM »
Beauty game, guy.