Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kornilov Artillery Uniform & Infantry Flags  (Read 1905 times)

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
Kornilov Artillery Uniform & Infantry Flags
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:19:10 AM »
This weekend I intend to paint some Copplestone White Russians as the Kornilov division.
A couple of questions were the artilleryman in the same black uniform as the infantry colored regiments?
Also did the infantry have company & battalion flags?

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Kornilov Artillery Uniform & Infantry Flags
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:57:19 AM »
I believe that all the White units had battalion flags. (Perhaps not always company flags, because most of the "companies" were only platoon sized anyway.) What's unusual is we know the Kornilov ones.  http://pygmywars.com/barendspages/notes/flagnotes/whiteflags.html

Regarding artillery, no they didn't wear black. But then it wasn't the regulation colour for the infantry either. It's just that the original unit contained a lot of officers, and they often had black blouses. Searching for Kornilov re-enactors shows most of them in khaki.

Kornilov artillery had the traditional Imperial artillery colours of khaki blouse, blue trousers, green hat tops and black shoulder-boards, albeit with Kornilov differences. You can see an artillery uniform here: http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&result=3203 although for some reason they have gone with the khaki trouser version rather than dress blue.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:59:18 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 04:03:06 AM »
Gunners Kornilov used a special uniform. They had a golden metal color (on shoulder straps, cockades, buttons and the like). White metal was used in infantry units. Gunners had a shoulder strap in black, not black-red. Cap artillerymen - the traditional colors of Russian artillery (green, with black band and red lines).

1. General "Kornilov shock division".
2. An ordinary soldier of the "Kornilov shock division" with a battalion flag (3rd battalion).
3. The officer of the "Kornilov artillery brigade".

The cap of the Kornilov infantry officer.
Shoulder straps of Kornilov units:
1. Colonel of infantry.
2. Captain infantry.
3. Cadet.
4. Private - infantryman.
5. Captain - artilleryman.
6. Private - artilleryman.

Patch of the Kornilov shock division (blue) and the Kornilov artillery brigade (black).
Variants of sleeve tape of volunteer units (white-blue-red) and shock units (black-red). The Kornilovs had both such marks on their sleeves (volunteer on the left hand, shock on the right).

Battalion flag of the 4th battalion. It is not known to which particular Kornilov regiment he belonged.

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 07:43:41 AM »
Thank you so much for the information!
I’ve had a painting hiatus since Easter so looking forward to knocking out some infantry tomorrow.
I’ll post some pictures when the first batch of eight are completed.

P.S. after reviewing the Markov uniforms I might use these instead for my artillery as the white tunics are rather smart.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:06:23 AM by nickthegreek »