Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for terrain ideas for ancient germans and celtiberians  (Read 1208 times)

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
I've chosen for my ancient SAGA project three armies, Caesarian Romans, Ancient Germans and Celtiberians, I'm looking for suiting terrain of these projects.

As for the Romans, it is pretty clear, I've got myself some of the Gangs of Rome terrain and such. But with the germanic tribe and celtiberians it is a bit difficult. How would a small settlement look like? Are there any companies offering fitting terrain made from resin, mdf or such? As it will be used with games like Saga, a settlement around one large, two medium and two small buildings would be a good size to start from.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

regards

Dennis

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: Looking for terrain ideas for ancient germans and celtiberians
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »
I think for Celtiberians a few Wattle and Daub settlements would work in some areas, but it also seems that many locations in Spain from the ancients were built out of stone as well.  You can see many ancient ruins there that still house some of their settlements.  Not sure if the Germans used a lot of stone. Unlikely, I presume. Probably more like the round houses of pre roman gaul and Britannia.

Grand Manor has some celtic / gallic huts that might work for a mix of German and celtiberians.   I've also ran a kickstarter and have some leftovers I'd be willing to sell - they have to do with  Iron Age Farmsteads that might work.

Here's an image shared on facebook from The Wargame Spot. Beautiful Iberian / Celtiberians that Francisco shared, and the hut I had made. 

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »
Dennis, some ideas for celtiberian city or large settlements houses.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:20:20 PM by rumacara »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:10 PM »
And these are from the vilages and smaller settlements in the countryside, usually built on high places.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »
And a few more.

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
Thank you very much for the input.

As I'm looking to cover the Cantabri, I guess i'll go with the hill one, but some of the picture show lusitanian buildings (settlements in Portugal). As the lusitanians wore heavier armour / had access to more metal compared to the iberians, I'm not sure how that inflicts the buildings. But the huts look lovely.

I guess I'll go with some early saxon huts for the germans, a chieftain hall, and a couple of smaller huts / buildings.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »
Yes, those stone huts are ideal for celtiberians. I love how they used similar styles as nearby celts and other groups that used wattle and daub, but elected using stone as that was probably the material closest by.. or maybe the Romans taught them...? Haha, I'm not sure, but they look great and would be fun to use in wargaming.