Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rebels and Patriots Jacobite  (Read 982 times)

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
Rebels and Patriots Jacobite
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »
Hi All,
Today we have tried a very fun scenario (Inverurie) with these rules adapted to Jacobite Rebellion in 1745/6.
The rules worked very well without any need of amendments.
However we have some doubts about the number of dice thrown by skirmish units when firing.
According to the rules it seems you have to throw 12 dice for the six figure; we thought that it may be a bit too much considering to low cost of the units (i.e.2 points).
Is there anybody who think it could be adjusted with house rules?
TIA for your comments
Marco
P.S. This message was posted erroneously in the Pike and Shot Forum. Sorry for that
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:46:36 AM by SHARPE52 »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Rebels and Patriots Jacobite
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
Note that skirmish units always fire and melee with half the dice of a normal unit, i.e, 6 dice when not disordered. See the special rules in the skirmisher definition. I find skirmishers in open terrain rather weak. I do look forward to fielding a bunch in heavily wooded terrain.

How did you rate Highlanders? I think that they should be rated as natives, fast, tough in melee and not much firepower. In fact I think the native category fits them better than it does woodland Indians. The latter are as portrayed in film; whereas my reading indicates they were mainly like skirmishers. YMMV.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
The skirmishers FIGHT with 6 dice (top of page 17)
They shoot with 'only half the number of dice normally used' i.e. 6 (half way down page 31).
IF using the 'skirmish' action (up to half a move & half fire dice).
They MAY use the 'fire' action i.e. 12 dice, as the QRS says that is open to, 'any unit that has a firing value, EXCEPT for Natives and Light Cavalry'.

Skirmishers are cheap, and do have their uses, but also have their limits;-
they are vulnerable to loses & will break first in a stand up fire fight with most line units;
their range is limited 12" (unless you pay to upgrade them) & that can put them dangerously
close to charge range of a lucky unit. "They don't like it up em!" (well they only get 6 dice to fight with)
So far played half a dozen games, each was a laugh (something missing from a lot of rules)
& I do want to play more games (always a good endorsement of a set of rules)

Vodkafan & I are hoping to use them for our up & coming Jacobite project.
Thoughts so far:- Base the Government troops on units of 12, (3 bases of 4 figs.)
                          Base the Highlanders on bigger bases (6 figures a base.)
                         'Clans' to be small (1 base) normal (2 bases) or large (3 bases)
                         'Clans' to be classed as 'natives'
                         Grenadier units to be 'Shock'
Still working on other ideas.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Thank you for that, has.been. That makes them a tad more worthy.

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:04:06 AM »
Note that skirmish units always fire and melee with half the dice of a normal unit, i.e, 6 dice when not disordered. See the special rules in the skirmisher definition. I find skirmishers in open terrain rather weak. I do look forward to fielding a bunch in heavily wooded terrain.

How did you rate Highlanders? I think that they should be rated as natives, fast, tough in melee and not much firepower. In fact I think the native category fits them better than it does woodland Indians. The latter are as portrayed in film; whereas my reading indicates they were mainly like skirmishers. YMMV.

In my understanding the half dice for sirmish is referred to fighting and not to fire. If your point were correct I would be happy with this solution and apply half dice for both.
As far as Highladners clans are concerned we have rated them as native with "Poor shoters" and "Aggressive" features. The Lowlander are instead considered Line infantry "green".
Since we try to play historical scenarios we tend to apply fetaures to fit with the actual troops where available data are shown.
Marco

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
The skirmishers FIGHT with 6 dice (top of page 17)
They shoot with 'only half the number of dice normally used' i.e. 6 (half way down page 31).
IF using the 'skirmish' action (up to half a move & half fire dice).
They MAY use the 'fire' action i.e. 12 dice, as the QRS says that is open to, 'any unit that has a firing value, EXCEPT for Natives and Light Cavalry'.

Skirmishers are cheap, and do have their uses, but also have their limits;-
they are vulnerable to loses & will break first in a stand up fire fight with most line units;
their range is limited 12" (unless you pay to upgrade them) & that can put them dangerously
close to charge range of a lucky unit. "They don't like it up em!" (well they only get 6 dice to fight with)

So far played half a dozen games, each was a laugh (something missing from a lot of rules)
& I do want to play more games (always a good endorsement of a set of rules)

Vodkafan & I are hoping to use them for our up & coming Jacobite project.
Thoughts so far:- Base the Government troops on units of 12, (3 bases of 4 figs.)
                          Base the Highlanders on bigger bases (6 figures a base.)
                         'Clans' to be small (1 base) normal (2 bases) or large (3 bases)
                         'Clans' to be classed as 'natives'
                         Grenadier units to be 'Shock'
Still working on other ideas.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Actually we have played only three or four games in different eras (AWI,FIW)  and we have stil to fully understand the effects of various troops.
Cheers.
Marco