Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reviving a PDF booklets range  (Read 782 times)

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
Reviving a PDF booklets range
« on: May 16, 2019, 04:27:54 PM »
Long time before creating the Minairons miniatures brand, I had been running a blog called "Desperta ferro!", from which I shared some of my hobby experiences under form of PDF files for free download; often as a result of a wargaming campaign with my local mates, other times as a product of my personal research after a project in horizon. Perhaps someone here still remembers the first one, a booklet named "Catalonia Stands Alone" devoted to the solitary, hopeless war waged by that principality in the last stages of the War of Spanish Succession. Encouraged by the positive feedbacks earned, I still published a few documents else before having to resign and shutting the blog doors down --mainly due to the difficulties and troubles inherent to creating a miniatures brand.

Now that a number of such troubles are slowly fading away, I have regained much of the hobby time I had been denying to myself for too long, so being able to play games again with some regularity, and even to run some new campaigning. This circumstance has allowed me to reconsider making available again some of those titles, either in their past format or under a new concept.

And this is precisely what I've started doing right now from www.minairons.eu website. So I have created there a new Free Downloads section at root level, currently comprising just a handful of free SCW painting guides as well as a PDF product catalogue; and I shall expand it quickly to contain all the free stuff mentioned above. Some of such materials are likely to be uploaded as they were, under form of a PDF booklet; but others will be shared as data cards, following  the previous positive experience with the mentioned SCW painting guides.

Some of such WSS data cards have already been uploaded and are available; I would thank sincerely your feedbacks on them. I’ll be publishing and uploading more of these on a regular basis --probably with some simultaneity with the 15/20/28mm flag sheets for that period I'm currently releasing.

About the booklets themselves, as said I will be revising them the one after the other, to get ensured about which ones to salvage or to discard (with disregard of the data cards above expansion), and see what needs a translation. For you to get an idea on what I've got ahead, there is an all-in-one booklet, a related WSS campaign, a WWII campaign (that has probably become outdated due to Battlefront's expansion of their Firestorm system) and an 18th c. Caribbean Sea campaign. So a good amount of work ahead!

Thanks for reading,
Lluís
www.minairons.eu
Minairons blog
Minairons facebook
"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Reviving a PDF booklets range
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »
The WSS material is very interesting indeed. :)

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
Well, I've just finished now the process of revamping the PDF booklets I told you about, and have put them at disposal for download again.

The collection consists of four titles, currently:

001 Catalonia Stands Alone, a comprehensive review on the 1713-1714 war in Catalonia after the Treaty of Utrecht,

002 Struggle for Stalingrad, a miniature wargaming campaign using FOW rules and Firestorm system (a visionary one, I'd humbly say --for I believe that an official Stalingrad Firestorm campaign has been released recently),

003 Defiant Principality, a miniature wargaming campaign on that same subject than #001, to be used with Beneath the Lily Banners or similar. Incidentally, this is the very same campaign system I used for creating the 'Defiant Principality' Imagi-nation I ran for some years, within the Emperor vs. Elector 18th century imagi-nations community;

004 Shark Den (or more properly, Cau de Taurons, for it's the only booklet not published in english yet, but just in catalan for the moment), an Age of Sail wargaming campaign set in the Caribbean in WSS times (using Galleys & Galleons from Ganesha games).

All them free, naturally: booklets list.

Right now I'm translating #004 into spanish, then I'll revise and publish the spanish and catalan translations of #002 and afterwards, gods willing, I'll go for an eventual future #005.

Otherwise, nos. #001 and #003 will be left in english version only, most probably (or at least I still don't see a priority for them to be translated).

As for my WSS painting guides, I'll keep publishing them as data cards (with some synchronicity with the matching flags releases), rather than multiplying the number of single-themed complete booklets.

Best regards,
Lluís
http://www.minairons.eu
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:50:48 PM by Lluís of Minairons »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 11:34:24 PM »
I've just popped in and ordered #1 and 3 and because I wasn't paying attention I'll be back for 4! :D

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »
Emir, for the moment it's in catalan language version only. I'm translating it into spanish now, a version that I hope to have finished next week. Later it should be transated into english too, but it will take some more time.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:47:59 AM »
Thanks Lluis,  I'll keep my eyes peeled for it appearing.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
I greatly appreciate your presentations and historical research, you are doing a very serious job here!
I have a great interest for Catalans.
May I please ask what company makes the 15mm figures of your own collection? Thanks in advance!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:00:09 PM »
DintheDin, there's a good number of companies making 15mm figures for WSS, and I admit to have used many of them!!

What I use to favour are those of Dixon for Allied armies while those of good old Minifigs for Two Crowns' ones.
These two ranges are hardly combinable among them, but then there's a lot of figures from other brands that can do the job.
Blue Moon for instance has a wide WSS range too, that I usually combine with those of Minifigs.
Essex and Roundway figures can also be quite helpful at filling the rank-and-file, while several others have ranges of helpful civilian or special figures too.

Just a small samples selection for watching on my personal blog (better a few pictures than a thousand words):
http://soldadets.blogspot.com/p/segle-xviii.html
(By clicking on each picture there, you're driven to a particular thread with photos. Catalan text only, apologies for this)

Lluís

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 06:41:35 PM »
Lluís,
I am indebted to you for taking the time to offer me a comprehensive reply!
I'm now looking at your blog, Catalan text is not so big obstacle, my French and some Spanish I know, help me understand the text quite well. Very nice pics! Thank you! I already use Blue Moon Marlburian for some of my WAS/SYW French. I should have a look to all the other companies, as the combinations you made have a very nice final result! Cheers!