Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690460
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Portuguese Empire in Africa in 28mm  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
Portuguese Empire in Africa in 28mm
« on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:43 AM »
With the conclusion of my modern war project I now look at something different. As I look through my stash I notice my Perry WOTR plastics waiting for some attention, and with the plastic cavalry releases since I last looked at them, I feel now I could possibly do something more.

So I am looking in to Portuguese Empire in Africa starting with the first conquest of Ceuta until about 1500. what good reference material do you suggest?

1. Portuguese: Foot
I have about a box of WOTR European mercenaries (Perry), and half a box of men-at-arms 1450-1500 (due to me reserving some for WOTR). But I am not sure on weapon choices, what weapons/portion of weapons would be best to arm them?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:14:30 AM by Blind Templar »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Portuguese Empire in Africa in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:59:03 AM »
The Invention of Glory: Afonso V and the Pastrana Tapestries

The figures in the plates for the later 15th Century in Osprey's The Portuguese in the Age of Discovery c.1340–1665 were derived from the tapestries.

According to the text, at least in the period covered by the tapestries, the Portuguese were unique in wearing baldrics.

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:13:42 AM »
Thanks Condottiere, I got a look at the Osprey book and it was very interesting on the different details around getting the feel of the conflict.

I have now built: 12 hand-gunner unit, 12 pikemen unit, and 6 men at arms. Tired to get mostly baldrics and sallets as Portuguese did not have much modernized industry until later on, so I hope they look ok. With the men at arms I have replaced the axes and hammer heads with the tall bill heads from the euro infantry box, the depiction of billmen is common and using men at arms to represent a more armored version feels comfortable. looking at a bombard and cavalry unit to finish off the small force

not sure what rules I am going to use, looking at lion rampant as I play dragon rampant often, and LOTR conversion rules would be interesting. But keen to see what other options are around.

2. Moroccan Infantry: I will be using Gripping Beast Plastics Arab Infantry with weapon and arm conversions to bring them up them up to era. I have converted these same figures with some Perry plastic British infantry in Afghanistan and Sudan 1877 which worked well, so with the crossbows still available from the euro infantry box and some of the armored arms from all the different WOTR boxes I should be able to create a viable look for crossbow and heavy units.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:19:09 AM by Blind Templar »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »
Sounds like some great ideas. Looking forward to seeing those minatures painted up.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
For the Moroccan, you should have a look to the "armies of islam" range from Black Tree Design, it's very interesting !

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah cheers I will need to get something like that for elite infantry.

Some snap shots of the men at arms with bills and the crossbow Moroccan conversions that turned out well

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »
Nice!

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
Heaps of updates since my last post.

Almost finished the Portuguese forces and printed a Caravel that almost finished too
Sailors/ cannon crew still need some changes and cannons for when they do not have the boat.

3 Moroccan units built but need to convert better swords for the black shields, with more kasbah walls on the way and designed a centre fort that I'm waiting to print, my last few challenges will be to complete another 3 units .....then painting

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
Current Portuguese
Men at arms on foot
Crossbow men of the cavalry
Infantry with pikes
Aquabuisers
Sailors/cannon crew

Might do another unit of pike Infantry and some heavy cav but that's later on

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
Where is the Caravel from?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »
Where is the Caravel from?

Ditto and do they do Medieval Cogs?

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 11:07:24 PM »
this is the Caravel
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3811516

have not seen a cog yet, WI had that great article on converting a 1/72 cog but I feel it would be better to print one if you can find a file.

Designing it is the hard bit, the thingiverse Caravel is difficult to print and make as it uses a wooden kit as the base for the parts so it fits odd.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 01:22:29 AM »
Wow!! ;D

this is the Caravel
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3811516

have not seen a cog yet, WI had that great article on converting a 1/72 cog but I feel it would be better to print one if you can find a file.

Designing it is the hard bit, the thingiverse Caravel is difficult to print and make as it uses a wooden kit as the base for the parts so it fits odd.

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »
Update on the Caravel, sails done, flags to go

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
One idea might be to model some of the troops up to their middle sections in the sea?

Here's a quick link to one of my blogs showing what can be done (It's on the header):

https://gewalthaufen.blogspot.com/