Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Fakes? What do you lot think?

(1/4) > >>

dcajoe:
Hi all,

So this guy/girl has put some of his/her vintage GW collection on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ale_bennytin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

:o

What a haul - the minis look brand new. But starting price 99p? It's almost too good to be true. What do you guys think? Fakes?

FionaWhite:
I'm definitely not an expert so it's better to wait for one of our much wiser members to chime in but by coincidence I did happen to find my own
Lorenzo Lupo just now and, looking both at mine and his version, the middle part of his armour seems a bit... fuzzy whereas mine looks much more clear even with its horrible paintjob.
That might be just the camera or the age of the mini itself though.

Also, the mini seems to be missing its slotta (I believe the term is?) thingy that'd attach it to its base.

AWu:
It would be kinda impractical to make single copies of gazilion miniatures..
Recasters normally post same few miniatures again and again.

Cubs:
Nothing about it screams fake to me. The metal looks shiny, but that's often the case even with old mins, especially if they've been locked away for years. I've painted a lot of those old mins before for commissions and they look no different to the ones I was sent. Starting at 99p is often a good move, because it draws in multiple bidders and you only need two bidders to start a bidding war!

If you want to build up a McDeath collection cheap, I'd say it's a damn good time to start bidding ... but only if you're in Italy, because that postage cost is going to be a killer.

Condottiere:
No reason to suspect these are fake and opening £0.99 is a good move, albeit risky in case a "rare" figure doesn't go for an expected price. Wouldn't mind bidding myself for a few figures, but what's preventing me is the £16.00 shipping charge to the US for one miniature... :(

Not sure why a few of the figures are listed as unreleased, like McDeath... ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version