Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Various (Sort of) W.W.II Painting Questions  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Various (Sort of) W.W.II Painting Questions
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »
So...
I've been fiddling about with some stuff, and realize that I know very little about mixing the correct colors.
1.) What is the correct way to recreate Afrika Korps 'faded green' for infantry uniforms?  I started out with the cheat sheet from Flames Of War (Vallejo Russian uniform green, lightened with white) but that didn't quite seem right.  I then added in a little bit of burnt yellow (cheap doll paint) and I think I'm closing in on it.  Does anyone else have a better idea?
2.) What's the correct khaki/yellow for Italians in North Africa.  I've seen it vary all the way from a very pleasing sort of cream to a German tank yellow.
3.) On a related note, I had a few W.W.I Italian Alpini (with the Robin Hood hat) and thought that they could pass for elite infantry.  Maybe W.W.II, maybe pre W.W.I colonial types. But to fill out the squad I need to use 2 extra chaps in the French/Adrian helmet.  Can I pass these off as colonial types?  What color should the helmet be?  What color is the leather work?  Are the puttees black? Or dark blue?
Many Thanks,
Major Weenie.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: Various (Sort of) W.W.II Painting Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »
I have no experience with the various shades of Vallejo paints, but what I do have to add is that the Afrika Korps would have seen plenty of sun. Not all uniforms will be, well, a 'uniform' colour. There will be plenty of variation in colour thanks to sun-bleaching. Just my two cents.

As for the 3rd question, that's not something I could help you with.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline pbeccas

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 03:49:13 PM »
I used Vallejo Russian Uniform Green on my Africa Korps tuinics and then highlighted 50-50 Russian Unform/White.  I am pretty happy with the way they turned out.
There will be no Dunkirk here. If we have to get out we will fight our way out. There will be no surrender and no retreat"
Australian General Les Morshead. Hero of Tobruk.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 07:44:45 AM »
Luckly I've some notes readily available as I'm currently moving.

I did come across in my search for a subtle green colour a mix of Vellejo Olive Grey and Khaki Grey. I'm not sure of which mix ratios as I did'nt record it, but I can attest that you will achieve a great colour for the AK jacket.

I'll need to get back to you MW on the Italains as my books are tied up.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:48:36 AM »
Check out the Vallejo panzer aces range one of the best military range's in my opinion. :D
 There is Africa Korps colours, a base & highlight. Theres also Itallian colours.

Keith  o_o

Offline cpstu

• Assistant
  • http://www.cpmodels.co.uk
It's dark, your alone in whitechapel, suddenly your nose is filled with the smell of paco rabanne, fearfully you'turnaround to find yourself in the clutches of....jack the ripper!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »
When I painted my Askari Miniatures and Anglian Italians I deliberately tried many different approaches and colours.
CDA colours like Khaki & Desert Sand, craft paints called Fawn & Taupe, Foundry Moss etc. were all used as bases and I was very pleased with them all. The units have a little variety that works for me.

I think what I am trying to say is that your target colour is so varied you do not need to be too precious about which colour you use.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:13:28 AM »
Very Helpful,
Thank you one & all.  From the responses, and the links provided, it looks as if the Vallejo Russian uniform green, modified to a greater of lesser degree, seems to be the industry standard.
I found, online, a Vallejo color named "German Something Yellow."  It's a bit yellow-green and bears a remarkable similarity to the color of the Afrika Korps uniform in my old "Blandfords Uniforms of the World."  Of course who's to say that Blandford had it right, or that the video image of a square green-yellow box on the web site will match the paint in the bottle... Or when it's dry.
All part of the adventure of the hobby I suppose.
Many Thanks.  Photos will surely come later.
Maj. Weenie.

Offline cpstu

• Assistant
  • http://www.cpmodels.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
Vallejo green is what I first suggested using in the SHQ painting guides I wrote around ten years ago....its best mixed with vallejo 886 green grey for a more accurate faded look....not white!  :o

And of course, fade the cap using the same colours, but more 886 than the uniform!

Blandfords tunic may have been bleached with chemicals....when cleaned....hence its very pale look.....

The tunic colour is an OD green, and fades as you'd expect, unlike the luftwaffe tropical tunic, which is brown, fading to tan.

stuart  8)