Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Pulp Figures?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Modern Pulp Figures?
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:17:01 AM »
I've been seeing commercials lately for a new show called "Blood and Treasure" which appears to be a pulp/adventure set in current time. That and the PS4 game "Uncharted" both made me think.... if one were to game modern pulp, where would you start for suitable figures?

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
Re: Modern Pulp Figures?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:28:34 AM »
Definitely start with Hasslefree, then Reaper.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 06:35:36 AM »
Hasslefree for sure
A lot of the crooked dice figures are Retro... but a few might work
Some Studio Miniatures zombie Hunters/survivors have potential
Militia miniatures have some mercenary characters in production, with assorted Hollywood baddies on the way.
Emperess, Spectre and TAG do wide ranges of modern/last 20 years figures for a range of conflicts. Could be good for locals/allies/enemies and some of the special forces types are scruffy enough to be adventurers.
On that note, some Vietnam special forces types could also work
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »
Depends on how "modern" you want to go.  Copplestone has the "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" range, 60s - 70s spies and bad guys, nice figures.  Crooked Dice also has some pulpy feeling figures.  I went with the Copplestones, I figure I can blend them in with the 30s - 40s pieces with the squint of an eye.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
Thanks lads. As far as how modern, I was thinking like present day for sure. The Fenris Apex Investigators struck me as good adventure types and the numerous military types from Kosta's hand at Eureka might also work as baddies thwarting jungle treasure hunts.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 05:02:47 PM »
Hasselfree figures are drool worthy for modern Pulp.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
I had forgotten about Hasslefree for some reason. Anyone know how they size up with Eureka? I seem to remember them being on the small 28mm side.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 08:07:12 PM »
I am doing a modern pulp project at the moment - though more Lara Croft, Relic Hunter sort of thing.

That show looks interesting, but expensive to produce. Hopefully it will last more than a couple of seasons. Terrorists do seem to be the "go to" bad guy these days. Whatever happened to the madman wanting to take over the world - simpler times ;D

For figures, I'd add the Foundry Street Violence range to the list.

For other ranges, pretty much any of the zombie stuff will be useful. Warlord seemed to have dropped their zombie range, but they do a set of special forces figures if you can find them. Mantic have their walking dead figures, probably worth a look.

Size wise, the more recent Hasslefree figures have definitely bulked up. I've just finished painting some and they were noticeably chunkier.

I wouldn't worry too much about the clothing, as there are always going to be one or two characters doing their own thing. I found some figures in the lead pile today that I'd forgotten about. They're 40s pulp, but several of them will fit into a modern setting without any problem.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Thanks for the input Zem. Good to know about Hasslefree. I prefer chunkier, and from what I remember from aeons ago when I owned some Hasslefree, they were a little more on the dainty size.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
Worth checking Fenris Games Alex investigators sound ideal. Also you may find some suitable minis from militia miniatures sold through minibits site

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »
Definitely. I had the Apex Investigators once upon a time, but somehow they got lost in the shuffle. I remember them being beautiful figures.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:41 AM »
Bravo,  I sent you a PM.  I am actually thinking of selling my Kiss, Kiss - Bang, Bang figures, and sticking with classic pulp era.