Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vandals attack Model Railway show  (Read 8885 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Vandals attack Model Railway show
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:17 PM »
Or just the increase in population means more incidents, even if the rate stays the same, and better reporting means we hear about them.

That is definetly the case around here, population has increased, crimes get reported a lot more often and aren't "lost" in the system meaning there is more visible crime now then ever, even if the per capita rate is on a steady decline.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »
I'd just like to point out a few things raised in previous posts. The incident took place in a school hall which is where an annual show is staged, the club do have their own meeting place, this wasn't it.
The youths involved are under the age where their names are divulged, but we aren't aware of their ages yet, so they could be early teens and still at school possibly.
There could have been some premeditation about this because there are reports of hammers being used which suggests they went equipped, unless they found them on the premises itself of course.
I see Rod Stewart has donated £10k and called upon Jools Holland, Roger Daltrey and other musicians to match his donation. 

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »
Terrible. 

I donated some money.

Apparently Rod Stewart has given £10,000.  I didn't know he was a model railway enthusiast, but apparently he is.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »
Rod Stewart is a hardcore train/rail enthusiast.

models and real ones.

known  to take the train to his own concerts if/whenever possible to enjoy the journey..and i don't mean first class either.

remember going to one with my better half a few years ago - he was tweeting pictures of him and his wife on the southwestern turbo train on their way to the concert in London.

Good on him.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
Rod Stewart is a hardcore train/rail enthusiast.

Jools Holland too. He used to live in a converted railway station too...

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
 Surely the punishment here should involve having to rebuild some of which they have destroyed under the direction of the railway modellers after having to face those who's layouts they destroyed to explain why they did what they did and they impact that their actions had?

Offline niktherake

• Assistant
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 02:56:51 AM »
I suspect the temptation to intemperate language correlates to a feeling of impotence at this senselessness.

Donations now over £80K.

Of course there have been occasions where a sudden influx of funds to an amateur body has caused new problems.

I hope the club members can enjoy the hobby and avoid bitterness.

And if you are taking figures to a Con for display, ensure that there is adequate security there.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 03:46:54 AM »
Wow the heartbreak of all who had been hurt. It pains me I know the heartbreak.
One modeler is 70 years old and has spent 25 years building his layout. I can only imagine the mental anguish he is going through, the trauma could finish off some people for good.

My Father and I, had been working on a Crafting business of Lapidary and Leather Goods, we worked hard to build it up with equipment, tools, raw stock and product, so when I retired from the Military him and I would go and do the craft show circuit. My Dad was Scoutmaster for a Scout troop and they went out on a four day camping trip, that night shortly after my Dad left, a Rental truck pulled up, the neighbors thought my dad was moving, well we were wiped out of everything tens of thousands of dollars equipment, tools, supplies everything. Well My Dad was never the same after that, it broke his heart I know but he never said anything about ever again after that.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
Even though the names aren't in the media they'll be known to the local community and I would think there'll be a fair amount of 'social' punishment going on, possibly against the parents too if they refuse to accept some of the blame themselves. At the very least they should be made to make a public apology to the members and listen to what the members' reaction is to their handiwork. That might help to shame them into doing something useful with their lives instead of this.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 08:51:41 AM »
They will have little remorse and only regret they have been caught.
Most probably they will come from disfunctional family's  , on a culture of benefits , relationship breakdown, morale collaspe and low aspirations.
Sadly this will make them rather notorious amongst their peers

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
Coming up to £90k on donations now. Wow.

Talk about 'if something good can come from this'. With that sort of money they can get professional carpenters in to plan and build a great foundation for new layouts and then set to remake or redesign things again. It doesn't replace the time or love they put into the first ones, but by Jehovah, it's not a bad substitute all things considered. Hopefully it will be some comfort to see the public outcry let the modellers know the eejits who did it are part of a tiny, insignificant minority.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
Considering how relatively small the modelling community is, and that is all aspects of it, it warms the heart to see the response to this appeal and realise how many people out there really care. I think because so many of us had trains sets as children it touches a nerve somewhere, even if we haven't visited an exhibition in donkey's years, and makes us remember our childhood and the comfort and pleasure we got from playing with trains. Nostalgia is a strong motivator sometimes. For others, it is a feeling of belonging to a modelling community and a sense of knowing how we'd feel if it was our things that had been vandalised. Whatever the motive for giving, it is very satisfying to see that the club will rise again from the ashes. 

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
I've removed a number of posts to hopefully get this de-railed trainwreck back on track. We would greatly appreciate if certain folks (well, everybody, but the offenders should know whom I am referring to in particular) could show some restraint in their outbursts, as awful as this whole thing is.

Thanks.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »
Anyone wanting an update on what happened could try this link. it explains what happened, who the lads are, and what has happened to one of them so far from his family's point of view.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7059229/Mother-teenage-yob-smashed-model-railway-exhibition-says-mortified.html

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
Just saw this and really don’t want to go into politics...but this is horrible. So much nice hobby stuff destroyed by some idiots with too much time.