Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Missing product pictures in online miniatures shops  (Read 7943 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Missing product pictures in online miniatures shops
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
If taking photos is so easy,why don't we see more threads on the of LAF members work? Come on,we can't  all be insecure about our painting standards...

I am. I'm strictly tabletop standard (if I actually want to get projects done; I can paint quite well if I spend 8 hours per model) so I cannot compete with the talent shown on this board. :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:24:36 PM by Gibby »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:19 PM »
If taking photos is so easy,why don't we see more threads on the of LAF members work? Come on,we can't  all be insecure about our painting standards...
It depends what you mean ''so easy''. It takes some basic skills. And its a relation of effort vs need. I wasnt aware that we lack photos in LAF, I think that anyone who wants to share something with the community does it despite the lack of equipment or skill. In fact if the average modeller feels the urge to show his work and tries his best even with a mobile phone camera, then there are even less excuses for professionals that actually SELL products or services.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2019, 12:14:53 AM »
I am. I'm strictly tabletop standard (if I actually want to get projects done; I can paint quite well if I spend 8 hours per model) so I cannot compete with the talent shown on this board. :D
Haha, indeed. I look at a lot of my threads and think "bloody awful".
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »
Am I the only one who gets frustrated that online sellers of figures don't have pictures of their product on there sites.

It is in my opinion, the very least they should do.

Far too common; too many shops are just utter crap. Amateur business, to be sure.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
Amateur business, to be sure.

Nail on the head really. If a business is meant to be a little earner on the side to combine hobby with income, and they're happy to keep it ticking along on a semi-casual basis, then God bless them and all who sail in them. I guess not everyone wants their business to expand because the extra money means the business will grow beyond what they want it to be. I won't buy a product unless I can see what it is, so an absence of photographs would put me off buying, but perhaps maintaining customer numbers to a trickle is actually a boon to some little operations. Repeat custom or those who see the products elsewhere (online, at shows or clubs) will keep enough filthy lucre incoming.

From my own perspective, I always have more painting work than I can handle and actively turn away more work than I accept. Hiring someone else is neither practical nor desirable and real life dictates I can't dedicate more hours to my painting desk, so I'm not interested in expanding my business.

So yeah, I get the argument on both sides.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »

Guy, you dangerous maverick, what a radical idea  lol
A little less conversation; a little more wargaming, modelling and painting action would be a welcome development where a few, um.. contributors are concerned ;)

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »
Not sure if it's just me but I'm always disappointed if store images aren't of models painted to a high standard. The inked bare metal doesn't do it for me.

Yes I appreciate that this may be out of the question for many small businesses.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2019, 04:37:58 PM »
In an ideal world, I'd love it if every product had both a painted and unpainted picture - unpainted (though for metal figures, certainly inked) shows what you're getting, painted what it could become. From either independently, you can't always tell what level of detail a figure has (limited contrast on the bare sculpt, too much detail painted on when painted). In the real world, I'm of course perfectly fine with just a single picture, be it of an unpainted model, one painted to tabletop standard or one with a very professional paintjob. But I won't purchase something if I haven't the faintest clue what I'm getting. If based on other pictures/previous experience, I know the general quality of the range is good, perhaps, and then only if the thing I need it for doesn't require very particular details, a particular pose, etc. With postage costs and shipping times, I'd rather get everything I need for a little project in one fell swoop, so there is limited ability to get a few minis as a trial, and purchasing all with nothing to go on would be an expensive gamble.

I understand why not all ranges may be visually available (yet), and that's fine. I'd still rather have no pictures, than the aformentioned occasions where there is a fairly small picture, you click on it to enlarge, and then somehow an even smaller version of that picture shows up. That's just a trap. False hope.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
Am I the only one who gets frustrated that online sellers of figures don't have pictures of their product on there sites.

It is in my opinion, the very least they should do.

I hope you don't want to use 6mm and 10mm they seem to be the worst offenders..

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2019, 07:04:39 PM »
Not sure if it's just me but I'm always disappointed if store images aren't of models painted to a high standard. The inked bare metal doesn't do it for me.

Yes I appreciate that this may be out of the question for many small businesses.
My concern with painted figures is you do not see what the figure looks like, you have no idea how much filling and filing has taken place.

Inked bare metal is a bit more honest (of course they are probably master mouldings, not production ones).

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »

The issue here is that good painting can really polish a turd, adding detail where there isn't. Pictures of painted figures are an aid to customers who want to know how to paint their troops. A picture of an inked bare metal figure doesn't give a lack of detail anywhere to hide.
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »

AB or Eureka are not good examples, I am afraid! After all, both are very well established brands with a loyal customer basis that know exactly what they are buying, even without pictures involved (I know I am one of those customers!.. as an aside, how is it going the transfer of AB/Eureka? Have you found a new distributor yet? I need to put an order soon, but don't know if I should do it now or wait until the transfer is completed... decisions, decisions!)

However, the criticism given earlier is that wargames businesses that do not provide pictures are therefore relying on a declining customer base of people who know what a range looks like. Being AB or Eureka doesn't therefore exempt a product code from having a picture. I regret that I cannot comment any further for professional reasons.

Any decision on a new distributor is out of my control. I have had a number of requests for information, which I have fulfilled as honestly and openly as I can by highlighting the positives and negatives of the arrangement, but the decision remains one for Nic at Eureka and Tony at AB. I still have good stocks of many codes, and items that I cast under licence continue to be available.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2019, 06:47:46 PM »
My concern with painted figures is you do not see what the figure looks like, you have no idea how much filling and filing has taken place.

Inked bare metal is a bit more honest (of course they are probably master mouldings, not production ones).
I do appreciate the sellers who use inked bare metal. Alternately, really good photos of bare metal can be as good, but that takes a good setup and some skill (Hasslefree is a good example here - they seem to use a mix of inked and untouched).

I can't blame any shop for using painted images though. I don't see why a business wouldn't try to, er, paint their offerings in the best possible light.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »

I've been tempted to order from them for years... but, never came around their truly awful website;

http://www.rhmodels.com/index.html

>:(
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »
I've been tempted to order from them for years... but, never came around their truly awful website;

http://www.rhmodels.com/index.html

>:(

Last update 2010😵
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.