Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:57:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690580
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3d printable fantasy village terrain Kickstarter- final 12 hours!  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/532839686/city-of-tarok-3d-printable-medieval-buildings/description

I've bought a fair amount of printable terrain from other manufacturers, and this is far and away the campaign you've been waiting for. They are offering really terrific value and quality.

If you plan on getting a 3d printer for terrain at some point in the future, I wouldn't miss this.

This isn't even everything that has been unlocked:

The above is just a taste, click through and see what you think:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/532839686/city-of-tarok-3d-printable-medieval-buildings/description
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:29:33 PM by Gallahad »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: 3d printable fantasy village terrain Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
I'm in this one for sure. Great looking designs.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:37:14 PM »
The overal look is ok, but on closer inspection of the sample files there are some very wonky choices and designs there. For instance the door handle is tiny free floating ring, most printers won't be able to deliver on that!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:17:29 PM »
The overal look is ok, but on closer inspection of the sample files there are some very wonky choices and designs there. For instance the door handle is tiny free floating ring, most printers won't be able to deliver on that!

Huh, can you elaborate more? I currently send the 3d files I buy to a relative to print for me, so I wouldn't know what to look for.
The test prints look very good.
Even if there are small things to fix in the files or on the models, these files are less than half what other designers charge for similar buildings.

Unlike other similar designers these offer tabs and notches to perfectly align prints done in smaller sections as well as roof variations.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
I'm with YPU in this one. I was inspecting the free model and there was a LOT of mesh mess on the parts: the (digital) (z)brush strokes were clearly visible, and some parts were added there without much thinking.

Now, the overall design and volumes are pretty cool and the engineering work to have everything stackable is excellent. But the sculpt itself is quite sloppy, which is a pity.

Even if there are small things to fix in the files or on the models, these files are less than half what other designers charge for similar buildings.

Regarding the price, I believe there's a huge bubble in 3D files pricing. 10 $ don't seem much, but it's a purely digital content, and is pure margin. I'm selling my Round of Fire manual at that price, and it did involve a LOT more work that a single building of any kind.
I am saying this as a professional sculptor too, and considering what i would charge to sculpt something like that (either digitally or with traditional sculpting methods - the latter with a FAR HIGHER detail) the business model is ... too good.

Of course, as long as people are willing to pay for that, all the best to them!

And again, engineering-wise it's a brilliant kit, so i'd say it's better than 90% of what's on the digital market nowadays. Still sloppy. :(

Cheers
Jack

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 01:24:12 PM »
I'm with YPU in this one. I was inspecting the free model and there was a LOT of mesh mess on the parts: the (digital) (z)brush strokes were clearly visible, and some parts were added there without much thinking.

Now, the overall design and volumes are pretty cool and the engineering work to have everything stackable is excellent. But the sculpt itself is quite sloppy, which is a pity.

Regarding the price, I believe there's a huge bubble in 3D files pricing. 10 $ don't seem much, but it's a purely digital content, and is pure margin. I'm selling my Round of Fire manual at that price, and it did involve a LOT more work that a single building of any kind.
I am saying this as a professional sculptor too, and considering what i would charge to sculpt something like that (either digitally or with traditional sculpting methods - the latter with a FAR HIGHER detail) the business model is ... too good.

Of course, as long as people are willing to pay for that, all the best to them!

And again, engineering-wise it's a brilliant kit, so i'd say it's better than 90% of what's on the digital market nowadays. Still sloppy. :(

Cheers
Jack
Thank you, that great info.
Sorry for more questions, but I'm curious and I just don't know the answer.
How does "mesh mess" and visible zbrush strokes affect the final print? Does this make it harder to get the 3d printer to print it, or the parts not line up correctly? Or is it more just evidence of a 3d sculpting newbie?

In this campaign prices are currently more like $5 a building, plus a bunch of other stuff, so unless they are a total mess to print or won't look like their final printed pieces, it still seems like a great buy to me.

I can get pieces like these printed for $15-$20 for plastic at very high quality, which means I can get approximately 4-5 of these for the price of even a single Tabletop World model...
That is hard to resist.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
Thank you, that great info.
Sorry for more questions, but I'm curious and I just don't know the answer.
How does "mesh mess" and visible zbrush strokes affect the final print? Does this make it harder to get the 3d printer to print it, or the parts not line up correctly? Or is it more just evidence of a 3d sculpting newbie?
From what i've seen, printers tend to be quite good at "hiding" modelling issues. In particular, FDM printers (the ones with the nozzle) provide such a smoothed surface, that these polygons won't be visible.
That's not a great thing though: just because printers aren't very good it doesn't mean that future printers (or better ones) won't show the problems.

In this campaign prices are currently more like $5 a building, plus a bunch of other stuff, so unless they are a total mess to print or won't look like their final printed pieces, it still seems like a great buy to me.
Isn't that 6 buildings for 60$? But yes, compared to some competitors' campaigns, that's still good!

I can get pieces like these printed for $15-$20 for plastic at very high quality, which means I can get approximately 4-5 of these for the price of even a single Tabletop World model...
That is hard to resist.
Fair enough. Of course, you won't have anything as detailed or refined as TTW terrain. The overall designs and concepts will be good, but if you're planning to paint them nicely and invest a bit in a striking table, 3D FDM-printed terrain won't do the job. :( At least, nothing i've seen so far is nearly as convincing as traditional casts.

If you print with high-end UV printers, of course, things are different. But with 100$ per KG resin, it ends up being ways more expensive than epoxy resin casts. ^^

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
Thanks for your response Sangennaru! That is good info to have. I'll ask the creators about the mesh problems in the comments. Maybe they are fixable?
The six models are only those that were unlocked at funding. We've unlocked six more buildings since then plus towers and walls and other accessories.
The current stretch goals:

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Oh! Well, the price is more convincing this way, yes! :)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
I contacted the creator on Kickstarter and they seem anxious to figure out what these problems might be since they aren't seeing them on their end. I directed then to this thread at their request.
Thanks again for the helpful comments guys. I'm sure we can get this cleared up or cleaned up!

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:52:12 PM »
We have knocked down all of the stretch goals listed above. We are now well below $5 USD per building, plus a bunch of walls, towers, and accessories.

Don't miss this one!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
I'm excited to see what the designs look like for the trees... if they are close to the illustrations I will be pleased...

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 05:07:54 PM »
I'm excited to see what the designs look like for the trees... if they are close to the illustrations I will be pleased...
I'm really excited for the trees too! I've always wanted a deciduous forest, and the current options out there aren't very satisfying to me.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
Re: 3d printable fantasy village terrain Kickstarter- final 12 hours!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »
Final 12 hours!
More stretch goals down, everything unlocked!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: 3d printable fantasy village terrain Kickstarter- final 12 hours!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
what a great campaign... can't wait to get the files!