Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685056
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Got Terrain Inspiration For A Flooded Earth?  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Got Terrain Inspiration For A Flooded Earth?
« on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
I’ve read dozens of short stories and novels*, and I think I might finally be ready to start a permanently flooded city board of some sort:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/72157623522967697

However, I’d love to see what some of you may have already done Terrain-wise. 

QUESTIONS:
So ... what flooded cities or suburbs have YOU built? 
How did you go about putting it together? 
How much of your terrain was scratchbuilt and how much purchased?
Which boats or other craft did you use?
Got pictures?

* Such as Ballard’s Drowned World

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:04:55 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Re: Got Terrain Inspiration For A Flooded Earth?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
Ooohh, great subject. Been wanting to do the same for ages but I can't quite ever seem to finish Junktown.

I've been gathering stuff for a while including Revell 1/48 Swift Patrol boats and various matchbox and Siku speed boats. The thing I most want to create is this - probably using a Catalina Flying Boat.

Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:13:42 AM »
I'm glad you brought this up as well, I have nothing to show for now and I am hoping to be able to get my gaming room set up currently it's being used as a storage room  :'(

I want to do a few islands with some ramshackle buildings plus hopefully get around to finishing my "Barge Town" project, I swear that I'm going to end up taking it to my grave just so I can have time to finish it!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:39:16 AM »
Given the amount of floating plastic C%&P in the world's oceans, someone is bound to have corralled it all together to make an artificial floating island, there's a chap in Florida or the Caribbean who has made a floating island the size of a house and garden from bottles in mesh bags tied underneath pallets...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:18:50 AM »
The concept art for the game Flotsam seems a bit cute, but I think the flooded objects themselves could inspire more realistic-looking gaming terrain pieces.

I really love all their drowned buildings concept sketches:

http://www.pajamallama.be/devlog/flooded-environment-flotsam/

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xYOd4

https://stanloiseaux.artstation.com/projects/9qJzy

I would really love to see what other gamers may be doing (or planning to do) with this “drowned city” subject.

Thanks

Dan
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:34:18 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 03:23:54 AM »
I don't have anything to show at the moment, but this is something on my future projects list.

My own idea's to recreate the Fallen London / Sunless Sea setting in a small scale. With various steampunk ships travelling an underground sea between various island settlements - as the sunken ruins of lost civilisations lie beneath the waves.

The way I was planning to do this was to have mostly rocky terrain for the above water location - lighthouses, and the like. With the odd Mythos like ruin and more historical like stuff poking through the waves. Done by just sculpting some waves about the top of a slightly askew building on a base.

In my case I wouldn't be looking for much of a pattern with the placement of the ruins or how they'd be angled on their bases. More upright buildings perhaps retaining their original foundations, and others having begun to topple over. Maybe mix up the heights of buildings - not necessarily going for taller ones capable of reaching from the sea floor or shelf to above the waves- to represent shallower waters.

I can imagine the suburbs of some island borne settlements reaching out beyond the rock they're built on. Standing on stilt platforms or built on the roofs of nearby ruins. Shanty town shacks sitting atop Cthulhu Mythos rocks (even having weird rocks on the islands towns are situated). Or perhaps up on the hulls of old ships (some anchored in place, others that were beached, but are the most stable foundation available for homes - if that's saying much). Maybe small house boats clustered around old bight buoys or even on the backs of giant dead sea animals.

With the watery bases it may be more of an undertaking than if you were just sticking your terrain in the dirt. At least if you're going for more complicated effects. You could get away with just some ripples about any objects touching the water (sculpted in clay) then maybe sculpt on some waves or undulating water - again with clay. Or start messing about with water effects. There's so many options for what to do with buildings. Like having them out in the open sea; built on old boats and flotsam -, or having them sitting atop a city - in which case just make the upper stories of buildings then add shacks to the upper most floors/ sides/ roofs. Personally I'd go for a mix of both styles. With shacks and walkways down at water level too as a place to access the buildings by boat.

If you're looking for inspiration then I'd say look at games like: Submerged, Flame in the Flood, The Sinking City and of course Sunless Sea. There's a game called Raft which is entirely set on a raft as you pick up junk floating in the ocean after the apocalypse. ...Not much other than the raft though. ;)

Dishonoured had the whole "Flooded District" level, with the baddies hold up inside an office block (clearly made of sterner stuff in the style of 19th century granite buildings, as the newer buildings crumbled around it) - whilst outside the area was wooden walkways which deteriorated scum covered factory yards with rusting boats from the nearby river sitting between the buildings. As a setting Dishonoured could give you ideas - an island nation with a canning/ fuel industry having seen better days and dealing with a rat plague. As the authorities become more draconian criminals sprout up and plague victims turned zombies hide away in the Flood District where their corpses were dumped in their hundreds after police sweeps (perhaps these body piles could be used as dams in some macabre attempt to stem the water's encroachment?). 

Jam by Yahtzee Crowshaw had a concept of a city filled with slowly rising man eating Jam. People walked through the jam in suits made of plastic bags (with air holes above their heads. I believe using poles to vault between buildings at one point. Things like cars and street furniture wound up strewn about some streets where waves of jam had passed, in others they were sitting in place - in case you want to go for more shallow water and have the roofs of cars poking out (or if the level's higher; double decker busses).

Oh and Brink was a game set on a flooded Earth - where survivors had fled to a luxury floating city. At first it was the plan for the best and brightest to live there, but as things grew worse on land many fled to the city on whatever seacraft they could find. Giving a contrast decades later between the original city areas - all futuristic and white, but breaking down and abused in places- and the slums outside these areas - made from shipping containers and boats. With one side taking the role of the city's security forces, and the other those standing up for the under class.

Unrelated, the novel Boneshaker had an evocative setting. In its case it was a city full of gas instead of flooded with water (or jam)- but still, people would build on roofs, create airtight buildings by digging down into them from above, use airships, tunnels and sealed vehicles to travel. The gas moves slowly so oiled cloth could stop its spread for a time. Though in areas where it was thicker it could break these down quickly (oh and turn people into zombies quicker too...).

Denver in the Fallout series similarly has people living on building's roofs as the streets are polluted and full of feral dogs - just as another concept which could give you transferable ideas for this sort of setting. 2000 AD's Rogue Trooper series had a city where the poisonous atmosphere congregated in a city's streets thicker than other areas (it was in a dust bowl from what I remember) so battles were fought between sky scrapers. Sides would attack each other using sealed tunnels telescoping out of the building's sides and use the lifts/ stairs to attack upper floors.

I'd say search "Hong Kong Rooftop Slums", "River Shanty" on Google too. :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:48:11 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:10:50 AM »
Depending on what new water level's you imagine, photos of natural disaster area's (e.g. New Orleans, post hurricane Katrina) might give a feel for lower water levels - with house roof's poking out of the waters, etc

The FreakAngels web comic is/was set in a post-apocalyptic flooded London, and had some nice imagery:
https://www.comicextra.com/freakangels/chapter-TPB_6
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »
Fantastic idea, can't wait to see what you produce now your floodgates have opened  lol (sorry , couldn't resist the pun)
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 02:06:11 AM »
Nothing with any buildings yet, but I’ve started on two sandbars for marine or river delta use.  I used EPVC sheets, joint compound, extremely fine sand and tile grout.  I avoided using too much PVA, as it tends to warp many things when overused.

I’ll post photos of that in a day or two.  I might even have something small built on them by then, so they don’t look too boring.  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:10:16 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
Just found your thread....apologies, I haven’t been v.active on this board lately as my Game of Thrones project has been monopolising my hobby time.

Funnily enough one of the projects on my long term terrain todo list is a flooded urban board, and I’ve bumped it up from “Pondering” to the “Hoarding” stage in the last week or two.

Currently away from home (work has gone into overdrive) but I hope to post up a test piece and a few thoughts shortly.

:)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
If you're looking for a seaplane, there's a 1/48 Cherokee seaplane on amazon link

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »
Kim Stanley Robinsons' Mars trilogy has a volcano under the Antarctic ice sheet.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
for how we all ended up with wet feet; try John Wyndhams  - The Kraken Wakes. it was aliens I tell ya!  o_o
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »
for how we all ended up with wet feet; try John Wyndhams  - The Kraken Wakes. it was aliens I tell ya!  o_o
Good call.