Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Partizan 2019  (Read 1782 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Partizan 2019
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
I and a few chaps from the Devon Wargames Group made our annual trip up to Newark to take in Partizan and as usual I have composed a post presenting the games that caught my eye this year.

If you would like to see more, then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2019/05/partizan-2019.html

Jonathan (JJ)
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Partizan 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
Great pictures from a show I probably will never visit (cuz of distance).
Thank you very much!
, ,

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »
Some impressive looking games  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 02:46:52 PM »
Thanks for this, great pictures of great games.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
Great report with lovely clear photos. Interestingly, not being controversial for the sake of it either, amongst your photos and report nothing of the WW1 that won best game overall?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »
Nice report with some nice photographs taken on a pleasant day that boiled you alive in a posh cow shed.
I must confess I didn't give the big ww1 table much more than a second glance (it's a period of great interest to me too)it didn't inspire me at all.I appreciated the work and the effort , but it wasn't a show winner for me as I'd forgotten about it once I'd spoken to everyone I need to and popped back for a second look at the tables.
The major victory for me was finding a beer to cool down with.
The most noticeable thing was the gaps in traders some had been allowed to spread out whilst those at the cafe end had been bunch up with some stands barely having room for one person to fit between the stock tables.
A little disorganized but still a pleasant day out.

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 07:22:20 PM »
Cant please them all ,im ok with that but that  none if the ideas or techniques included in the layout inspired in the slightest is probably the stab wound.

Alcal

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
Thank you for sharing your pics and report.

Best regards,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
It's nothing personal in the slightest you may consider me slightly jade by experience.(As well as sculpting  I make scenery and displays for museums and on occasion film also restoration and conservation of historic  items and firearms.To name but a few strings on my bow) but I made a beeline for your table because it is period Ive an interest in and it read like an open book. I could see the repairs the re considerations, the points where you concentrated and points in your brush work where you where getting tired and an awful lot of brown.So no I didn't learn anything new. But as I mentioned I appreacted the work and the effort you'd put in . Because a table to the experienced eye can be read in a very similar way to the brush strokes of an oil painting.and it was plain to see the it had been a labor of love.
All said and done  its part of what I get paid to do on a daily basis.To me displays and models read as a series of shapes and materials which sometimes jade your enjoyment.

(But what I did do was stop you loosing your A7V on the board edge when that chap carrying a dog swaned through the middle of the tables.)

Mark.

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
Sounds like your on a different level to most of us and tks for saving the tank.

AL

Online James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:36 AM »
Alcal, speaking as a two-time prize winner at previous Partizans, I enjoyed your game and took plenty of photos and ideas away.

Online James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 05:30:16 AM »
And thanks for the photos, Carojon!  I barely got to leave my table so these are most welcome.

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
Hi all and thanks for your comments.

It is always really interesting to me to see what everyone takes away from these show posts and I try to put my disclaimers right up front in the post comments by making it clear that the games I feature are a personal perspective with all the period and game bias that statement implies.

I purposefully don't aim to present every game and display at the shows I cover, as JJ's Wargames has, over the years, been put together with the bias of the editor, me, and I think the folks that read it know that, although I like to try and pull a few surprises by featuring something really 'left field' occasionally.

So for example, I am not a great enthusiast for WWI or American Civil War, and have regularly stated that on my blog, but that has often been when writing about a particularly stunning ACW or WWI game that has grabbed my eye, and camera, and if you look back over the previous Partizan shows covered in the links in the post you will see that.

The fact that I don't feature a game is absolutely not a comment about it, nor should it be inferred that it is, or that I have a negative opinion at all. The fact is that, just like the judges who decide the results of the various competitions in our hobby, my opinions are subjective, and that subjectivity influences what I point my camera at and my hope to capture in pictures what it is that caused me to stop to do that. If others then like the result, I feel I have done the game justice.

If I were to offer an opinion on all the games at Partizan this year I would say, thank you to all those that put in a lot of effort to show their games, an effort I and the chaps who came up with me all really appreciated. It made the show what it is and why I and my friends will be making the four plus hours drive up to Lincoln from Exeter and the stay over on Saturday night to be there again next year, possibly twice.

I hope that clarifies my approach and dispels any misunderstandings

JJ

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »
JJ your absolutely right It was not my intention in any way suggest that your choices were anything other than a personal interest.
I only intended of contributing a personal reflection on the day.
James yes you've won twice once with a multiscale game and once with a reinterpretation of a dungeon crawl both innovate ideas . When you first displayed that game at York you asked me how I'd improve the board As you were getting advice and help  on the gun emplacement( absolutely nothing wrong with that) I suggested the visual flow of the game would be helped by a ground level diorama for both the entrance and the exit as the addition of the gun turret diorama would change the flow of the table and the exit would have and abrupt stop in relation to the table and would loose its context for a casual observer.
Alcal.
If you'd like to pm rather than risking highjacking JJ's thread any further. Then I'm more than happy for you to pick my brains as is any one on the forum (and people do as its not an idle offer)

All the best
Mark.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »
excellent report - thanks for posting.