Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: eMills various works (Update November 27, 2021)  (Read 4004 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
eMills various works (Update November 27, 2021)
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:12:41 PM »
Hello everyone.  I've decided to move my threads down here to the Workbench since I am not focusing entirely on one genre at a time with my hobbying.

Previous thread is here.

Here is what I currently  am working on:

I have some (crappy) pictures of a test print of the ganger sculpt.

Sorry about the picture quality. The bare resin is damn hard to photo without a better setup than I currently have available. This is just a test print to see how the details might come out. It is printed at a lower resolution than the printer is capable of and it is a bit underscaled so the quality will be better once I do the final print.

Looks like I need to beef some of the details up even taking the resolution and scale issue into consideration.

An update on the Sigvald sculpt:

I'm trying out some new materials and render settings and have found a few that I really like.  He is getting very close to being finished.

As always, thoughts and critique appreciated. Thanks for stopping by.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:04:25 PM by eMills »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: eMills various works (3d Sculpting for now)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 09:19:26 PM »
As always, thoughts and critique appreciated

I like the Ganger concept, especially the Noh style mask but he appears too bulky.  I guess you are aiming at the extreme end of "heroic" 28mm style but his musculature is too defined, all the muscles  look separate and stuck together rather than being an a single toned shape under a layer of skin/flesh.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »
I like the Ganger concept, especially the Noh style mask but he appears too bulky.  I guess you are aiming at the extreme end of "heroic" 28mm style but his musculature is too defined, all the muscles  look separate and stuck together rather than being an a single toned shape under a layer of skin/flesh.
Thanks for stopping and dropping a comment. I do appreciate it.

I see what you are saying for sure.

He is meant to fit in with these guys:

and so is going to be bigger than the average, even when talking GW style "heroic" 28mm.

The musculature is cut extra deep like that because the printer will soften it a bit.  However, looking at the picture I just posted  (and some others I found via Google), I may have taken it too far.  Once I work his details some more to get them all print ready I will print another test at the correct scale and resolution and reevaluate.  You may very well be right about there being too much separation.

Thanks again for stopping.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »
So, been almost a year and not a terrible lot done on the physical side of the hobby.

However, I have sharpened my zBrush skills a bit and have done a bit more work on some projects.

Grey Knight:

Still WIP.  I am hoping to be able to do a test print later today to check sizing and the viability of the details.

Older version for reference:

I like the newer version much better.

Bertha Bestraufrung (Sisters of Sigmar; Mordheim):

Side by side with the older version.

Der Ritter:

Inspired by the Chris Walton piece of the same name:

I'll be changing some of the details to make him more Empire/Free Peoples oriented.  For use in Mordheim or Warcry.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »
Almost forgot I'm making heads for a Charcaradons force to use in Kill Team.

Reivers:

These will be part of the test print that I just started (and that hopefully is a successful print...)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »
Good to see you still going with these.
How did the revisions work out on the Ganger figure?

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 10:59:54 PM »
I honestly haven't done any on that figure yet.  I was going to revise the existing figure, but I want to take him back to an A pose and start over.  Similar to what is done with Bertha above.  It will allow me to control proportion and pose better.

I will definitely show you when I do work on him.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:01:09 PM »
I think I am going to have to buy one of those resin printers....

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
@Codsticker: They are handy for many things. They do require some tinkering however, so be aware of that.

Here is 6ish hours work on the updated Ganger figure:
Compared to the original sculpt

Just the updated sculpt.

Thanks all.

Edit: Updated the images.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:33:25 PM by eMills »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Working on some other figures for what I affectionately refer to as my Nostalgia Project. lol

Let's see if anyone looking can identify them:

Very WIP.  Still working to hone my skills and things like the chainmaille are just placeholders.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: eMills various works (Physical items! May 25)
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 10:37:56 PM »
Lotsa crickets in here... lol

Anyway, I was trawling through some old hard drives looking for reference images that I had saved and I came across pictures of some figures that I had converted and painted for a contest some years ago.  The contest was for Alpha Forge Games and their Star Mogul game/setting.  The idea was to build and paint a Salvage Crew.  Don't remember who won or what the prize was, but I remember really enjoying building and painting their stuff.

Here is a pic I took for the contest:

That shows the entire crew and the vehicle that I painted for them.  All models were Alpha Forge miniatures with a few conversions here and there.

So that spiked my nostalgia hard and I decided to make updated versions of that crew.  If they get used for gaming, it will most likely be in Mantic's Deadzone rules, or possibly Blood In Space for some Solo gaming.  The general theme of a salvage crew riding around and picking the bones from carcasses fits in with Mantic's overall setting so I decided to set the crew in that universe as well.

Ok, so, I decided to start with the vehicle, know as the Salvage Dog:

Cool model for it's time and I really enjoyed building and painting it.  In order to update it, I decided to go with the GCPS Mule Transport vehicle from Mantic. Really liking the model so far.  Pretty much no flash to speak of and everything fits together extremely well.  I do hate the tires for it though so I decided to knock some of my own up and print them out. I am also thinking about adding some sort of crane or grabbing arm onto it since it is a cargo vehicle and not so much a transport. Not decided on that yet.

Really excited since this is the first thing I have managed to get to print well and at the correct size.  I was really having trouble with the software resizing items on me seemingly at random.  Super frustrating.  Seems to be working with me for now though.  Mine are the lighter colored tires, just to be clear.

Here is a picture from inside zBrush for anyone who might be interested:

Of course, after I got them off the printer, cleaned up and cured, I realized that I forgot to mirror 2 of them so the tread is incorrect on one side.  I will have to fix that and reprint.

The models for the crew will be some mix of printed sculpts of my own or conversions of more modern figures that I like.

I started working on a sculpt for the power armored figure, which I named Abraham:
Old Figure

zBrush Sculpt WIP

That's it for now.

As always, thanks for stopping by. C&C most welcome.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:43:39 PM by eMills »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: eMills various works (Physical items! May 25)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »
Calling this guy done:

Print is running now.  About 7.5 hours and I'll know what works and what doesn't (provided the whole thing doesn't fail...).  Wish me luck.

If it works out, he will be in the Modern Fantasy Painting Party thread once completed.

As always, thanks for stopping by.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: eMills various works (Update June 8)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
The prints did not come out like I wanted, so it is back to sculpt for updates.  I need to find a better way to make chainmaille, and a lot of the details need adjusted to print well.

Inspired by Katsuhiko JiNNai I started work on some GI Joe sculpts.

First up (naturally) is Sgt Slaughter:

Here are a few test prints I ran along the way to check size and detail viability, shown next to a Star Wars Legion mini:

After seeing those, I went in and adjusted the figure quite a bit.  The result is shown above but I haven't had a chance to print it yet. Hopefully I will be able to run it tonight.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 04:53:31 PM »
Well done :) I've a Sgt Slaughter miniature but mine is a metal copy from an original done with green stuff ;) (Soon or later I should paint it)

The prints did not come out like I wanted, so it is back to sculpt for updates.  I need to find a better way to make chainmaille, and a lot of the details need adjusted to print well.

Inspired by Katsuhiko JiNNai I started work on some GI Joe sculpts.

First up (naturally) is Sgt Slaughter:

Here are a few test prints I ran along the way to check size and detail viability, shown next to a Star Wars Legion mini:

After seeing those, I went in and adjusted the figure quite a bit.  The result is shown above but I haven't had a chance to print it yet. Hopefully I will be able to run it tonight.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 12:20:06 AM »
Well done :) I've a Sgt Slaughter miniature but mine is a metal copy from an original done with green stuff ;) (Soon or later I should paint it)
Thanks.  Sorry for the late reply.  Thought I'd done it ages ago.  Looking forward to seeing yours painted up.

Some other stuff I've been working on:
He Man (MotU)

Beast Man (MotU)

Ram Man (MotU)

S.N.A.K.E. Battle Armor (GI Joe)

Size Comparison:

COBRA Flight Pod (GI Joe)

Outback (GI Joe)

Hopefully some prints to share soon-ish.  Printer is being a bit of a PITA.

Thanks for looking.