Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Have You Met My Mate Alexander  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Cameronian

• Bookworm
Have You Met My Mate Alexander
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
Started out as a DBA army then just grew.  1/72 plastics.
"The time has come." The walrus said, "To talk of many things..."

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
Re: Have You Met My Mate Alexander
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
Very nice indeed .
Yes 'lve met  your old mate  Alexander.
Spent many times in historical Macedonia, Northern Greece around Pella , Salonika , its full of them.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »
Very nice indeed .
Yes 'lve met  your old mate  Alexander.
Spent many times in historical Macedonia, Northern Greece around Pella , Salonika , its full of them.
I live in Greektown, and I can assure you there's no shortage of them over here either! lol

One of the grade one classes I support has two of them, even.  ;D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cameronian

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
Moussaka, ouzo, as far as I go  ;)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:04:11 AM »
Seeing him every day, he is my brother  lol

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 05:01:33 AM »
Daily, in the looking glass. And may I advise? DON'T call your son Alexander; it's a Hell of a name to live up to!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
I just bought a shedload of 20mm WW2 off Alex! Funny old world!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
Seeing him every day, he is my brother  lol
Is your name Nick? (fast forward to the 55 second mark or so.) :D

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »
Is your name Nick? (fast forward to the 55 second mark or so.) :D

lol
Actually the movie, despite the commedic exaggerations, its a pretty much accurate picture of the ''traditional'' greek-american family and most of the depicted stereotypes apply to mainland greek families also. The only difference is that immigrant families in their effort to maintain their identity, tend to be more like the greeks of 50's or 60's and its logical to a point.

About the whole comfusion with the names there is an explanation :D. In Greece its customary to name the first born son after his paternal grand father. Offcourse that doesnt mean that some times the other side of the family wont try to intervene, ending up in full blown family quarrels about the name of the baby lol. So usually you end up having the same name with a bunch of your first cousins. The second child usually is named after the other grand father. In my case both my grand fathers were called Ioannis aka Yannis (John), so my parents were ''free'' to name my brother whatever they liked. And he is called Alexandros.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
lol
Actually the movie, despite the commedic exaggerations, its a pretty much accurate picture of the ''traditional'' greek-american family and most of the depicted stereotypes apply to mainland greek families also. The only difference is that immigrant families in their effort to maintain their identity, tend to be more like the greeks of 50's or 60's and its logical to a point.

About the whole comfusion with the names there is an explanation :D. In Greece its customary to name the first born son after his paternal grand father. Offcourse that doesnt mean that some times the other side of the family wont try to intervene, ending up in full blown family quarrels about the name of the baby lol. So usually you end up having the same name with a bunch of your first cousins. The second child usually is named after the other grand father. In my case both my grand fathers were called Ioannis aka Yannis (John), so my parents were ''free'' to name my brother whatever they liked. And he is called Alexandros.
Also very traditional to leave property to the children; or pass on when they get married.