Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Late War Soviets  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Cameronian

• Bookworm
Late War Soviets
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
1/72 plastic from various makers plus 1/144 'plane.

Sized for One Hour Wargames.
"The time has come." The walrus said, "To talk of many things..."

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
Re: Late War Soviets
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 03:57:25 AM »
I was thinking that plane looked a bit out of scale ;)

Lovely work all round. Nice little road block for some steel cats  ;D

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 04:57:05 AM »
One Hour Wargames uses the same basing system as FoW?

Offline Cameronian

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »
Thanks for the comments folks.

I've got others with 1/72 'planes but too big and they got in the way.  Besides they up in sky and usually look smaller(?).

Don't know about the basing, I just used bases that the models fitted onto.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 09:23:55 AM »

Besides they up in sky and usually look smaller(?).

That justification never made any sense to me. They look smaller to people on the ground, yes, but the wargamer's viewpoint isn't at ground level, it is up in the sky with the planes looking down. If you are making a Father Dougal argument, the planes should be bigger because they are nearer to the players.

Now if you want to go with "because it is easier, the bigger ones get in the way of the game", that's absolutely fine. But don't make up silly nonsense to justify it. You don't need any other reason. Not having a go at you personally, it's just that I have seen this argument so many times I and never, ever bought it. Anyway, thanks for posting!  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »
One hour wargaming sounds appealing, our usual get together is a 3-4 hour bash, which can be a bit of a commitment.

Offline Cameronian

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
That justification never made any sense to me. They look smaller to people on the ground, yes, but the wargamer's viewpoint isn't at ground level, it is up in the sky with the planes looking down. If you are making a Father Dougal argument, the planes should be bigger because they are nearer to the players.

Now if you want to go with "because it is easier, the bigger ones get in the way of the game", that's absolutely fine. But don't make up silly nonsense to justify it. You don't need any other reason. Not having a go at you personally, it's just that I have seen this argument so many times I and never, ever bought it. Anyway, thanks for posting!  :)

I feel no need whatever to 'justify' anything re my hobby to anyone, so whatever floats your boat.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:53:33 AM by Cameronian »

Offline Cameronian

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »
One hour wargaming sounds appealing, our usual get together is a 3-4 hour bash, which can be a bit of a commitment.

How I view it too.  I was a solo gamer, so using his max numbers for any period covered made producing both sides less of an undertaking.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
I feel no need whatever to 'justify' anything re my hobby to anyone, so whatever floats your boat.

Because they are closer to the players eye however, you kind of get the bigger effect anyway. If it looks about right from the gamers height. I’m sure someone make the calculations, but that way lies madness in my opinion.