Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tartar Wall in glorious Playability status! - added 22.6.19 (Euro Style)  (Read 2412 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain

More photos on the blog: https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

Go figure.  Trying to log in to my 'rescue' blog and somehow I've regained access to my other blogs! 

This is a first time test of the full set up.  Welcome comments on ways to adjust setup to improve the alignment with the real Peking at the time of the Boxer Rebellion.  Though hard to know since no two maps seem to agree.

Forward progress, if only in a small step.  I think I have enough buildings to make it all work and I know I have all the figures I'm going to want - just need to paint more, a LOT more.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:33:32 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Peking Legations - full practice setup
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
very good progress. KEEP IT UP...

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 04:22:35 AM »
The Tartar Wall looks great.  Having done my layout on a much smaller table area, I am extremely impressed and envious of the space your surface allows.  I like what I did, but it was cramped and the space I had to work within dictated too much of the look of my layout.  Yours offers you much more opportunity to control the look of what you are doing.  I really enjoyed seeing your progress.  The Foo Dogs look good.  Richard
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:15:43 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 05:45:26 AM »
An impressive table setup. When finished, I'm sure it will be the best Peking!
And a huge list of figures to do! So, what you need is paint, paint, paint!
I'll be following your project with great interest and I wish you good luck!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
Good to see it progress
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:29:29 AM »
Progress is good.

And Dinthedin, while I might one day have the largest Peking setup based on numbers of buildings and figures if it ever all gets finished - and getting it all finished is absolutely the goal post I'm kicking for - I prefer not to judge the various Peking setups as to which is best.  Everyone's variation has merit.  It's all about having a good time and sharing that with others, not about being "the best."  I'll save my competitive spirit for a game that gets my juices going - until the game is over and  camaraderie returns.

And, go figure, I get access back to the blog and - poof - its a problem again.  Bloody computers!   >:( lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Peking Legations - Ramping up the Wall (added)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 06:11:39 AM »
Finally managed to get the ramp for the Tartar Wall built.  Quite a complex piece of work with a few oopses along the way but I've adopted the Joy of Painting/Bob Ross attitude, no mistakes, just happy accidents - it is a very, very old wall after all, many hundreds of years.   ;)

Here is a photo showing scale of wall in comparison to some ACW figures standing in for the Boxers for now.

And here is the link to the functioning, accessible blog:

https://tablesofadventure.blogspot.com

Offline princeman

• Librarian
Re: Peking Legations - Ramping up the Wall (added 4.9.19)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »
The ramp looks fantastic! How do you intend to finish the ramp and wall? Also are you intending to notch the wall where the ramp would enter it? Super work.
A man aughta do what he thinks is best.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:56 AM »
Thanks, princeman.

To your question about notching the wall, let's just say that with nearly thirty actual feet of wall when counting both sides (more maybe) including the extra gate, the bastions, and the corner pieces, I opted out of doing crenellations.  I might be slightly off-kilter by nature but I don't want to be genuinely diagnosed bonkers!  So, no, probably not notch the opening, especially since the top of the ramp is even with the top of the wall.  Still hemming and hawing about openings for the bastions but, again, probably not since I might want to use the walls without the bastions. 

As to finish, I've toyed with the idea of adding some indication of stonework but decided against it - except for the one side of one wall where I screwed up and glued the smooth side out - there is a nice texture already to the walls so I will paint it all a chocolate brown and then dry brush it closer to the actual wall.  Still might give some paving stone effects to the tops of the walls and maybe the inclines of the ramp since I will be adding ground texture and even some verdure here and there.  Oh, and my smooth side out screw up is the wall I will use to place the ramp which will effectively hide the issue.

Take care.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 01:48:08 PM »
The ramp looks great!

Offline princeman

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »
Sounds like a man with a plan. Good luck on your project and I look forward to future updates.
Greg

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Just Another Brick In The Wall (Tartar Wall) added 6.16.19
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
The Tartar Wall is TALL - and primed and ready for painting (more dry brushing than painting) and texturing where appropriate.  The 'blemish' is fixed as are a few others, hopefully all of them.

More images on the blog:

https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:43:04 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Just Another Brick In The Wall (Tartar Wall) added 6.16.19
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 07:10:40 AM »
looks really BIG !!! ... I mean this looks very Tall perhaps  too tall for the scale you have chosen...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
The Tartar Wall in glorious Playability - added 22.6.19 (Euro Style)
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 05:50:22 AM »

More photos at the blog:

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=59850438903116611#editor/target=page;pageID=3092899681258273966;onPublishedMenu=pages;onClosedMenu=pages;postNum=0;src=link

Now, I didn't say it is all finished.  At least one bit of detailing I know I will add and I - might - go back and put texture on the walkways if I feel it is worth the extra effort.

With this project out of the way, my hobby time can bear fruit in other directions including more work on the other buildings for this game and the figures, too.

The 'glorious' refers to it being in a playable state, not that it is some glorious work - just workable.  But I like it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:37:10 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline princeman

• Librarian
Looking great!!