Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:33:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords new Korean range  (Read 12690 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Warlords new Korean range
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
I'd order a stack of stuff ,however the recent reputation of Canadian mail,doesn't fill me with confidence  :'(

Try here: https://www.trainshop.co.uk/238-die-waffenkammer

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »

I do believe that Empress have been provided with all the necessary info to produce an accurate 1/50 Australian Centurion.  ;)
Whether they do one is entirely in their hands but with some judicious lobbying.....
If they can do it at a price similar to the rest of their own tank range.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
Having seen the new koreans up close on the website...I am immediatley struck by how awful looking the mauser pistols on the officer/tank crew are...they are worse than the one on the german officer sculpt from about 10 years ago.

Offline mrcleh

• Bookworm
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2019, 11:20:37 PM »
I am not fond of the sculpting of the pistol either, but to be fair it is not supposed to be a Mauser. I am pretty sure it is supposed to be a Type 14 Nambu pistol of Japanese origin, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambu_pistol

What I wonder: Does anyone have a source for the BTR-40 actually being used in the Korean War? Apart from the Wikipedia article mentioning the BTR-40 saw combat there for the first time, but without giving the source of the statement, I can‘t find anything. Let alone any pictures. :-[
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:30:11 PM by mrcleh »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2019, 03:03:17 AM »
I am not fond of the sculpting of the pistol either, but to be fair it is not supposed to be a Mauser. I am pretty sure it is supposed to be a Type 14 Nambu pistol of Japanese origin, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambu_pistol

What I wonder: Does anyone have a source for the BTR-40 actually being used in the Korean War? Apart from the Wikipedia article mentioning the BTR-40 saw combat there for the first time, but without giving the source of the statement, I can‘t find anything. Let alone any pictures. :-[

Highly unlikely. The North Koreans received hand me downs from the Soviets for the most part. At the time the Soviet Army was still struggling to mechanise its own forces. The Wiki page talks about Chinese Type 55 copies being supplied to North Korea. The clue there is in the ‘55’ bit. Most Chinese model designations refer to production year or service introduction. Hence the Type 56 rifle, the Type 63 carbine etc, etc. The Korean armistice came into effect in 1953. Maybe like Warlord’s it was a pre-order?  ;)

Even were it the case that the Soviets did supply small numbers then, like you, I am unaware of any accounts of their combat use during the Korean War. You can, of course, use them for Vietnam or the even the Egyptian version of Vietnam, the Yemen in the early 1960s.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:15:52 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2019, 08:21:37 AM »
Oh well, at least there's now a 1/56 BTR-40 on the way!

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
The book "Armor in Korea: A pictorial History" mentions Ba-64, even one in US service, as a Jeep.

http://www.plasticwarfare.se/2012/09/korean-war-beute-ba-64-part-1/

Either the source is very rare or hard to find, or Warlord means to supply the player of the Korean army with transport vehicles or APCs besides the World War 2 range. I don't mind seeing as I can surely find a use for the BTR 40 model.  :D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2019, 01:41:12 PM »
The Koreans look alright except for the sks's that they armed them with which where not used in the war. Hopefully they will split them up into boxes by weapon otherwise it will take a lot of annoying conversions to make them look like svt-40's.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
Warlord Games are in a league of their own when it comes to research. It’s amazing how much can be gleaned from mildewed copies of Commando and Battle.  ;)

On the positive side, less gurning faces and racist caricatures than one would have expected, based on past form. The peaked caps on the Chinese are most amusing. I often wonder if their sculpts are executed by a blind man based on snippets of conversation that he overheard on a bus.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
It's humorous to see some of the attitudes on this thread. Some people really hate Warlord yeah?

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »
It's humorous to see some of the attitudes on this thread. Some people really hate Warlord yeah?

lol That stems from their sculpts often having likenesses of figures from Osprey books. People take offense to that, or the obvious errors in some sculpts and such.

I like their plastics for conversions though.

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »
Not particularly, I just don't like silly mistakes like the SKS issue which should have been spotted and sorted in the design/research phase and its not just warlord just look at the the empress/tsuba Russo Japanese having bizarrely tiny arisakas.

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
I don't think it's hate. It's poor research or no research on Warlord's part. With so much information available on the internet, it is just inexcusable. It is just wasted
 potential.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2019, 08:05:08 PM »
Oh well, at least there's now a 1/56 BTR-40 on the way!
From here: http://www.diewaffenkammer.com/soviet_union.html
From Rich H if I remember.