Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.  (Read 34621 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »
I'm about to start a new ACW project. I'm planning to do part of First Bull Run July 1861. I'm just going to focus on Jackson's defense of Henry Hill.

Some of you will already have followed my previous ACW project on LAF:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111577.0

That was based on Bloody Lane, Antietam. The problem with it now is, playing with the rules I've got, I've more figures than I can use in an evening. I'll get some longer games in soon, but for now it feels like I'm painting figures that won't get used.

With my enthusiasm still high, I thought I'd go onto a different project, and keep it small.

I fancied doing First Bull Run for a number of reasons.
1) It's colourful. The uniforms on both sides are still based on the earlier militia uniforms, and the majority have disappeared by '62
2) Music. While painting the Antietam collection, I've had ACW songs on in the background, and number of the Irish lyrics sing of Bull Run.
3) The artwork of Don Troiani. He has done some inspirational pieces for 1st Bull Run.
4) Gods and Generals. Not a brilliant film, but they captured the colour and crazy mix of uniforms of Summer '61 well. There's even some guys in Tricorns in shot.

My previous project was all Crusader Miniatures ACW. This one I'm going to use Perry Miniatures metals, as they capture the look of the Don Troiani paintings very well.

I've prepared the first regiment, but not started painting yet. I worked out a way of painting the figures quite quickly to a standard I was happy with, but that was on Crusader Miniatures, I've yet to try it on Perry Miniatures. I detailed my painting technique online here:
http://nstarmagazine.com/PAINTING_COBB_S_LEGION.htm

I'm going to start with Jackson's Brigade, the five regiments 2nd, 4th, 5th, 27th and 33rd Virginia. The intention is, like in my previous project, to do both sides.

I've started this thread before having anything to show as I'd be very happy to hear advice from those of you who've done this project before me, in regards to uniforms, colours and flags.

Cheers Nick

(PS If you followed my previous project, you'll recall I went to some lengths to represent each Colonel of each regiment in miniature. That's a piece of madness I'm not going to continue.)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
33rd Virginia

The first figures I've got cleaned and under coated are the 33rd Virginia. I've used these Perry packs:

I chose these figures because this regiment, dressed in Dark Blue coats, were mistaken by a Union Battery as Union troops and got captured by them. My plan is to paint them in dark blue sackcoats, a mix of hat colours. In the film Gods and Generals they have dark blue trousers as well, I still need to do some research there before deciding.

I'm sticking to the regimental formula from my previous project, 16 figure regiments, 4 figures on 4 60mm by 30mm bases.

Flags. I intend to give them two flags, one the Stars and Bars with 11 stars, and a green Irish flag (carried by Company E, Emerald Guard, for some extra colour). Flags of War do both, I've got them on order on the way.

Here's a question for those who know a bit more than me. The Army of Northern Virginia in '62 ordered all flags but the Battle Flag (classic Reb flag) in each regiment to be put aside, and just that one carried. We know that order wasn't universally carried out, some still carried two or more. But back in July 1861, did the Confederates habitually carry two flags into battle? I'd presume the Stars and bars and the State Flag? Or did they have even more, all the company flags flying (I'm not doing that by the way). Or, was it the habit from early on to have one, the National Flag?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:32:07 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:16:10 PM »
You want to do Jackson on Henry hill (Bull Run). Do you have a Bee in your bonnet?
Sorry to Stonewall you there.
I did have the joy of visiting Bull Run, along with a lot of other ACW sites, some years ago.
I like the way the Americans preserve their battlefields. If something interesting happened
they plonk down some cannons to draw your attention. One such turned out to be a Union
battery who were shot to s**t by a grey coated unit they had been told were their support.
Love the early war uniforms, & associated mix-ups.

I look forward to more posts of your work.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »
Had a go at one figure this evening with my quick paint method, and I'm happy enough with the result.

This was going to be one of the 33rd Virginia, but I'm thinking of doing them in all blue like this picture instead:

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 01:48:51 AM »
Oy!  Hope it is just the lighting.  The hat?  Lovely.  The pants?  Excellent.  The coat?  Oh, that blue is so wrong to my eye.  Looks like blue-purple.  Maybe a work in progress shot and not done.  Too 'bright' if you get what I mean.  A little dry brushing or maybe a light wash will get it right - or righter, or right enough.   ;)

The way we play ACW here about is if you have units, they get to play.  Doesn't matter if they are 'correct' for the battle.  That leads to madness - a unit only works for a particular battle once - it will be a little different tomorrow, and a little more the day after, etc.  Cut yourself some slack and let the units play on.  They deserve it.  You deserve it.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
Union blue can be a tricky one. Colourfast dyes didn’t really work in those days, neither did each clothing factory use exactly the same shade. I’ve seen Union blue with a hint of purple in it, some with a geysish dulling tinge, some that is so dark it is a real midnight blue etc. Consequently there’s no need to worry about the shade in the above photo. After all this is the start of the war and uniforms are likely to still be bright.

When I looked at the photo my first thought was - I don’t remember a militia unit that wore the schapka,  but then realised it was the top of the head of a figure behind it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:05:03 AM by Leman »
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Yes, I wasn't too sure on the Blue. I think I picked up the wrong dark blue from the last time I did some Union. But I wasn't too bothered, as Leman said, I can't imagine they were a hard and fast shade.

I might put this boy in a different unit, and do the 33rd V. like the picture in Darker Blue with white cross straps.

FifteensAway. Did you read my other thread? Am I involved in a form of madness? Yes indeed.  lol

Offline LV426

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
I really like the blue. I think colour variation makes for better looking units  ;)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 02:14:35 AM »
Not a re-enactor but been to many reenactments and never saw that color of blue - unless part of a lady's garment (or maybe an officer's sash?)!  ;)  But it did look better on my iPhone, a bit.  Even new, excepting for sky blue overcoats, all the Union (and even the Confederate) blue coats were a much duller blue.  Does it matter in the end?  Not so much.  But Nick seems quite a stickler for authenticity in many ways so he seems willing to accept constructive criticism.  Nothing wrong with praise but it is more meaningful when tinged with a bit of push for better from time to time - at least that's my way of looking at it.  Otherwise it seems obsequious.  Okay, now you can hurl your taunts of pedantic-ness at me; it's okay, I can take it.   :D

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »
Very appropriate avatar.

Offline nikephorous

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 04:21:47 AM »

The problem with it now is, playing with the rules I've got, I've more figures than I can use in an evening.

Oh you poor man. :-) Most of us have exactly the opposite problem. ;-)
Who decided a 6 was good and a 1 was bad anyway?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 01:35:14 PM »
Nikephorous. I know  lol

Actually if I was playing Black Powder with full size units, the armies aren't 'massive' and we'd be done quicker. It's because I'm working through this adaption of Death In the Dark Continent with units of 16 figures that I'm not finishing games in evening at our club.

Either way, it's put me off adding to project (a), and so onto project (b)!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
I've painted another 4 members of the 33rd Virginia with Army Painter Dark Sky, much better. That's the look I want for the regiment. I won't repaint kepi wearing #1 figure, he'll fit in fine.
On with the rest of regiment now.

I decided to go with two flags for the 33rd Virginia. They'll have the 11 Star Confederate National flag, and Company E's green Irish flag.

I need to contact Perry Miniatures again. I want to have the commanding officer in a Union style coat. In this early stage of the war, it seems a lot of officers wore their old US Regulars uniform rather than the Confederate uniform, so that would fit better with the 33rd also wearing Dark Blue sack coats.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »
The new blue is much better.  And the good news about the first blue?  The rest of the guys in his company will be 'happy' - he is the best 'target' in the unit so he'll probably be the first to fall!   :o lol

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
Oh dear!  lol