Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.  (Read 34629 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2019, 06:45:09 PM »
Wow, I've not done anything since August. Damn Gaslands and those silly little cars.

I've got some more 79th New York figures from Mark Sims, so I'll be getting on with painting this regiment up now.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »
How cool are these latest additions mate  :-*

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
Very nice work from Mark.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2019, 03:00:31 AM »
Enjoyed this long thread, lovely figures and discussion. I admire your research to get these uniforms right. Not easy for this battle.  Glad to see men in shirts... if you've ever been there on a July day you can appreciate that coats were readily discarded.

Union troops and their flanking battery held their fire when the 33rd Virginia attacked wearing blue uniforms, mistaking them for their own men. This was a key event in the battle as I understand it.

As the war went on, uniforms got to be pretty scruffy. Faded Union blue and homespun Rebel butternut in various shades. Bare feet and lots of colors and styles of hats for the South.  Not sure how some 1st Bull Run guys would fit in if you ever do Gettysburg, but they are a real treat to behold - much thanks for this thread! RB

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
Don’t entirely agree with the above statement about Confederate uniforms. Apparently the scruffiest, most dishevelled version of the ANV was at Antietam in 1862. As the Confederates got to grips with their uniform supply and distribution things improved. By 1863/4 the ANV and the Trans-Mississippi armies were were well supplied with Richmond depot grey uniforms or imported Tait uniforms in blue-grey. The Army of Tennessee had lighter coloured uniforms supplied by the likes of the Columbus depot, many of which sported blue cuff and/or collar trim. One thing which was very rarely seen after mid-1863 was light blue trousers in the Confederate armies owing to an order to bleach/dye captured Union trousers to avoid friendly fire incidents.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
You are right about not fitting these regiments into Gettysburg. I probably won't as a rule use them for games set later in the war, but if a really big battle is planned, what the heck, every figure will be on the table.

Offline RobertBruce

• Assistant
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
You are right Leman, and my post was misleading. I stand corrected.

The dark blue grey English uniform was in wide circulation toward the end of the war. "Scruffy" is perhaps not the right word, although they were at times ragged and described themselves as such. I believe the making and supplying of uniforms in the South took quite a while to become standardized, resulting in a variety of browns and homespuns sourced from individual states and local suppliers. And some Confederate gray took as little as a month to fade to  brown when exposed to the elements. 

As I recall from my Bruce Catton, even in 1864 some Rebels wore captured Union uniforms and gained an advantage in one of the fights during Grant's relentless campaign against Lee.
For those who may not have seen it , Fred Adolphus has a wonderful website on Confederate uniforms. RB
  http://www.adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/index.html

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2019, 08:28:44 PM »
The chaps at Artmaster have finished the 1st Minnesota.

If you look back to August, I discussed the uniform of the 1st Minnesota and how I came to the choice I made.

The majority of the regiment marched to Bull Run wearing red battle-shirts, with black hats and black trousers. I've used Crusader Miniatures in hat and shirt for the figures. One of the companies were presented with grey uniforms, bought for them by their County, so I've used Crusader figures in frock coats and caps to represent them. I put the two standard bearers in grey uniform as well. (Flags are by Flags of War) The officer is in a Dark Blue Regular Army uniform from the pre-war period, and this figure is part of the new release of 79th New York range of figures from Crusader.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
They look really good as early was volunteers.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
They look really good as early was volunteers.

Indeed!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »
Can’t think why I hit the s rather than the r?  ;D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2019, 05:46:51 PM »
Can’t think why I hit the s rather than the r?  ;D

Because you had in mind the War of Austrian Succession, perhaps?  lol

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2019, 07:47:45 AM »
Oops! Fontenoy fixation.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
Another gorgeous unit Nick, thank you for sharing your project.

Best regards,

Helen