Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:21:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.  (Read 34666 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
WOW  :o Mr Soffe's obsession with 1st Bull Run puts my passing interest to shame.

http://www.firstbullrun.co.uk/First-Bull-Run.pdf

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
Great project! I really enjoyed your last project so I will follow this closely. I might even start painting some of my own ACW leadpile  ;) I wish though that someone would make some 28mm Marines, maybe you can twist the Crusader arm into this  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:22:34 PM by traveller »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 09:54:41 PM »
I had Marines in mind too, as they were part of the attack on Henry House Hill. But I was just going to paint Union in kepi with Jackets Marine colours. Do you think they should be different?

I was working from this Don picture:

I thought I might have to do some putty work on the officers shoulder boards, but apart from that it'd be in the painting.

The figures I AM getting Mark to add to the Crusader range is the 79th NY.

Do we do just one fella in a kilt for the craic?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »
I guess it is the distinctive crossbelts that are missing. I think also the marine kepi is a bit lower than the regular infantry version.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 11:08:41 PM »
Just posting a 'part way done' picture of the 5th Virginia.

I had to include 'K' Company, the Continental Morgan Guard in the regiment. It's unlikely they did fight in their antebellum militia uniform, but what the heck, this is toy soldiers. As my regiments are only 16 figure strong, just 2 figures in the Continental uniform does the job.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
Very nice, although we can legitimately ask ourselves if they ever fought in this uniform….but you like it like that, please yourself.
By the way, the "Sunday picnic uniform" articles can be found in october 1987 and december issues of MILITARY MODELLING. The december 87 article is just an errata: an uniform plate forgotten in the original article. You can do without but I found it really useful to decipher the two tables listing the uniforms worn at 1st Bull Run  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 03:38:06 PM »
I'm sure they didn't fight at Bull Run in this uniform. There's evidence that the Continental uniform fell to pieces after a stint of guard duty at Harpers Ferry post John Brown's Raid.

But I don't care about that  lol

I'd love to read those MM articles, are they online anywhere?

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
If they are, I was unable to find them at the time I was building armies for Bull Run…had to buy the magazines.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:01:46 PM by Siaba »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
Hmm, sounds like a mission. I'll have a go.
+++ Found them on eBay+++
Ordered. One of them said it'll take a month to arrive. From Lincoln  ???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:59:43 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »
Oh dear. Maybe you could go and pick them up? I once bought some colonial art prints from a dealer over the internet, and when he saw my address he realised I only lived about four miles away and asked me if I wanted to come over and get them personally, as it would be easier for everyone. So that's what I did. I realise Lincoln and Nottingham aren't quite that close, but you never know, it might work.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »
I did the same once myself. Sold some figures on ebay, the bloke that ordered it was in the same town as me so I dropped them round.

Lincoln is close, but the mag cost £1.

+++The chap is sending it 1st class tomorrow. Hurrah!+++
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:11:11 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
The 5th Virginia, part of Jackson's Brigade, to be named the Stonewall Brigade after the battle.

I've used all Perry Miniatures. I've mentioned in earlier parts of this post, I've attempted to show the different uniforms worn by the companies in the 5th Virginia.

I've used some of the Perry Mins Iron Brigade to represent the Company A, the Marion Rifles. They have a grey frock coat, and a black hat with the sides turned up. They also have unique triple bar cuff trim. Picture A shows my version of them.

Picture B shows two figures representing Company K, the Continental Morgan Guard. They based their uniforms of a hero of the AWI, Morgan. Did they really march to the ACW in these tricorn topped uniforms? I've read a source that said their uniforms fell to pieces after guard duty at Harpers Ferry post John Brown's Raid. But I'm going along with idea they still had the Continental uniform to march to Bull Run in. The other two figures represent a more mixed back of ex-militiamen, frock coats, civilian trousers and hats.

Picture C and D show other companies in the regiment. One company in dark blue Regular Army type coats and Kepis, others in variations similar to the Marion Guard.

The flags are both from Flags of War. One is the State flag of Virginia. The other is the Bonnie Blue, a design mooted as the flag of the Confederacy at the time of succession. I included it for some variety, and also because the 5th carried a similar looking flag later on in the war.

The 27th Virginia next!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:52:58 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
By the power of eBay, I have the 1987 Military Modelling mags.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »
Just wanted to share the joys of historical research  lol

I'm doing the 27th Virginia of the 1st (Jackson's Brigade) next in the 1st Bull Run project. I've three main sources of uniforms right now.
1. Don Troiani's pictures. He shows the 27th wearing hunting shirts (red, green, white), Kepis with and without havelocks and Sicilian caps.
2. Bull Run Illustrated card game. Uniforms of grey Frock Coats & grey trousers, and old fashioned caps.
3. The Military Modelling article. Dark blue Kepi without havelocks, dark blue frock coats and dark blue trousers.

For crying out loud  o_o

I'm going with Don, because Perry Mins do a great couple of sets of early war Confederates wearing havelocks, Scilian caps and old fashioned caps.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2019, 09:37:30 PM »
I love those Don Troiani paintings.

My nephew is quite into painting figures from the Civil War, and his default position is to always follow Troiani if there is any kind of debate. When pressed as to why his reason is always some variation of "because he's right", said with a wink. So I think at least one person will approve of your decision. :)