Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.  (Read 34344 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »
May be two  :D
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Online Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2019, 09:29:30 PM »
Nope, at least three.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
1. Don Troiani's pictures. He shows the 27th wearing hunting shirts (red, green, white), Kepis with and without havelocks and Sicilian caps.

Ima gunna let my pedant flag fly here. Those aren't hunting shirts, they're battle shirts, also called fireman's shirts. Notice there are no fringes or colored trim, and the shirts are tucked into the men's trousers. These were *very* common wear by Confederate soldiers in Virginia in 1861.

This style of heavy shirt was often worn as outer wear by laborers in the mid-19th century, such as firemen feeding boilers, or fire-fighters. Some volunteer units in 1861 adopted them as uniform. Many units who had fancy uniforms packed them away and bought more practical fireman's shirts for wear in the field. By 1862, the battle shirts had mostly been replaced by government issued uniform coats.

July 21 1861 was a blazingly hot day in Northern Virginia. Many soldiers in both armies stripped their coats off and fought in their shirt sleeves. Men who had battle shirts were glad to wear them. It's not that the 27th Virginia didn't have uniform coats to wear to the battle, it was just too goddam hot to wear them.

Realistically, most soldiers at the battle of 1st Bull Run were probably stripped to their shirtsleeves, soaked in sweat, and coated with dust and gunpowder residue. But I don't want to be a spoilsport, go ahead and paint up fancy volunteer uniforms if you wanna. I do that myself, truth to tell...

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 11:16:20 PM »
I meant Battle shirts  8)

But excellent contribution Z, thank you.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
Where would wargaming be without Pendants Corner?  lol I wouldn’t be able to have my occasional grump about ACW wargame photos with eastern theatre and western theatre flags all mixed up together  :-[
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
To get my Bull Run project done while the enthusiasm is high, I've got others to paint up the Union forces.

My good chum Mr Dave Woodward has just finished the NY Fire Brigade Zouaves for me. Figures Perry Miniatures, flags Flags of War.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Champion! I've always liked their look. Stylish bunch of guys.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »
Same.

It's a bonkers battle, men in redshirts and white havelocked caps on both sides charging at each other.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »
It's surprising there wasn't more "friendly" fire, perhaps because it was open terrain. The next year at Shiloh would see a lot of that in the woods, and they had something resembling standard uniforms by then, at least compared to 1st Bull Run.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
Awesome!
Couldn't be better, and the flags too!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
Lovely brushwork from Dave.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
1. Don Troiani's pictures. He shows the 27th wearing hunting shirts (red, green, white), Kepis with and without havelocks and Sicilian caps.

Ima gunna let my pedant flag fly here. Those aren't hunting shirts, they're battle shirts, also called fireman's shirts. Notice there are no fringes or colored trim, and the shirts are tucked into the men's trousers. These were *very* common wear by Confederate soldiers in Virginia in 1861.

This style of heavy shirt was often worn as outer wear by laborers in the mid-19th century, such as firemen feeding boilers, or fire-fighters. Some volunteer units in 1861 adopted them as uniform. Many units who had fancy uniforms packed them away and bought more practical fireman's shirts for wear in the field. By 1862, the battle shirts had mostly been replaced by government issued uniform coats.

July 21 1861 was a blazingly hot day in Northern Virginia. Many soldiers in both armies stripped their coats off and fought in their shirt sleeves. Men who had battle shirts were glad to wear them. It's not that the 27th Virginia didn't have uniform coats to wear to the battle, it was just too goddam hot to wear them.

Realistically, most soldiers at the battle of 1st Bull Run were probably stripped to their shirtsleeves, soaked in sweat, and coated with dust and gunpowder residue. But I don't want to be a spoilsport, go ahead and paint up fancy volunteer uniforms if you wanna. I do that myself, truth to tell...

Good concise information. I wondered why so many of my Redoubt Rebs had those baggy shirts on...
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
Damn.
I made a specific choice on this project to use more tufts than just static grass, and I chose three shades specifically for it.
I was just looking at Don Troiani's paintings earlier, and what lept out at me? Long yellow grass. 'Course, it's a red hot July. The grass is all dry.
 lol
I should have chosen yellow and dry tufts.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2019, 07:36:07 AM »
My nephew is quite into painting figures from the Civil War, and his default position is to always follow Troiani if there is any kind of debate. When pressed as to why his reason is always some variation of "because he's right", said with a wink. So I think at least one person will approve of your decision. :)
A guy who visit Civil war battlefield to see what the color of the grass is before painting can't be wrong  ;)
As for myself, I trust Troinai as he did a lot of historical researches for his paintings. But I wouldn't place much confidence in the Bull Run card game.
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
Does anyone know for sure, the US Marines at Bull Run, did they just have one flag?

It's the impression I get from this site: https://www.gettysburgflag.com/blog/every-marine-carries-the-flag/

+++Update. I'm pretty much 100% certain it's just this one flag +++
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:55:21 PM by nicknorthstar »