Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heresy Customs Team  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Heresy Customs Team
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
After painting a squad of Grey Aliens, I felt the mojo-spark igniting, and with yesterday being too hot over here for any outside activities (other than getting sunburnt), I decided to stay in during the hottest part of the day and paint a bit, as inside it was still relatively cool.

But rather than getting a new project started (with the associated cleaning, assembly, basing, undercoating etc, which would eat up all my allotted painting time), I scoured my display cabinet for any unfinished projects lounging there.

And lo and behold, I came across this squad of Heresy miniatures that had been sitting there for many, many years. They originally were for a scifi RPG campaign, but I didn't get them finished in time, so shelved they were.

I revisited them several times over the years, with the intent of finishing them off, but I never really got into it, and they eventually got relegated back to the shelf of shame.

But not yesterday!

In an unexpected bout of energy and perseverance, I managed to finally complete their paint job! The faces, hair and blue uniform had previously been done, so it was just a case of the leather bits, the gloves, badges and the hardware, such as the guns, com-links and data-pads. And the bases of course.

During the painting, I came up with a bit of a backstory for each of them too.

So here they are: the Customs team assigned to the Orbital VI space station, orbiting Proxima Centauri 3. It's a bit run down, as this is one of the oldest mining colonies in the Terran Corporate sphere, but still has some significant traffic (not all of which is legit).

- Leading them is Chief Inspector Patrick O'Bannon: nearing the end of his career, so not too eager to tackle anything that could threaten his retirement.
- His second in command (if only in name) is Inspector 1st Class Victor laChouffe: his arrogance and self-importance keep him from getting his hands dirty, and also makes him rather disliked by his coworkers.
- Inspector 1st Class Miranda Oakes: a silver spoon upbringing did not prevent her from striking out to create her own destiny. She's very smart and probably a better candidate for the Chief's position than laChouffe, who is just two weeks her senior in the organization.
- Inspector Danny Ralz: a hard working, but sometimes almost invisible member of the team. Quiet and hands-on, he often dives in, while the others are still deciding who has to, and as a result is probably the most liked team member.
- Inspector Hanz Gruber: a burly and easily angered bear of a man, who is the perpetual bad cop. He's the most likely to resort to violence if things do not go the team's way, so has to be regularly kept in check by his colleagues.

As you can see; I've not skimped on the tropes :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:44:13 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Heresy Customs Team
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
Cool man! Love those miniatures, so much character. You did an excellent job on them!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
They look great  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 10:33:16 AM »
Nice use of your painting time.  Always great to move some of those "veterans" off your painting table.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
Indeed great minis & paint job 👍👍👍👍

Keep it up
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
Nice use of your painting time.  Always great to move some of those "veterans" off your painting table.
LB

Yeah. I find finishing a half completed project an Easy (hobby related) Win, when I need one.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
Thanks guys :)

As it is, I'm pretty happy with how they came out, considering I've picked up where I left them about 6 years ago (I just checked ;) ).

There are quite a few more orphans in my collection I fear, so I might as well get cracking now, and get them all done... :D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 12:49:19 PM »
Haha, I see from your thread you bought them from me, even better to see them painted :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »
Yeah; I bought a load of stuff at the time from you for that project lol

Maybe I'll try and un-earth the FAG (Futuristic Asian Gang) next; they were in the same haul, and did see action, but never any paint... ::)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
Nice work.

Sometimes you just need something to paint.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »
I've always loved these minis, nice job!

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Great work Daeothar, just ordered myself a set of these - lovely minis

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
Thanks guys :)

As an aside; I just noticed that there are quite a few foam crumbs (for lack of a better word) on the minis, as previously, they have been transported in a home made case lined with foam that had started to crumble.

Only the close up pictures revealed that; I did not even notice during painting for some reason! So the black spot under miranda's eye is one of those, as is the thing hanging from Danny's cap, and there are quite a few more.

I've dusted them off since taking these pictures though... ;)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »
Amazing set of minis, really lovely!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »
A wonderful unit and very well-painted.  Looks like a realistic uniform - and the figures are full of character (each is recognizable as an individual).