Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I made a Worm!  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
I made a Worm!
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
We are living through difficult ecological times. "The great worm shortage of 2019". I was there , I lived through it! I have almost completed my Frostgrave monster list. (first book), but the one I cannot find is the giant worm. I have clicked to buy many times but each time I have been greeted by the OUT OF STOCK message of heartbreak and disappointment. I refuse to pay stupid money on ebay! So I decided to attempt to make one from scratch. These are the steps and some photos. It might not be a great worm but I am happy enough with the results. To start I rolled up some kitchen roll/paper towel into a tight tube, adding frequent lines of pva to hold it together. The small amount of moisture in the pva makes it easier to bend it into that curve on the original reaper miniature. I had collected about 10 pics of that model from different angles. I have never seen an actual reaper model in real life. Next I used the back of a brush to push in the cone shape for the mouth, and glued it to some card board so that it would stand up as it was drying. I will glue the final model to a proper 40mm base and add tufts etc. I texturized  the surface with household filler and a toothpick. I preserved the two blank ridges on either side, and added the ridges inside the mouth. I left it to dry overnight and finished the bumps and swirls and teeth with greenstuff. I gave it a good few coats of paint and primer to make it more solid. I copied the paint job from one of the photos that I found online. Hope you like it. Because the basic shape is fairly simple it is an ideal model to make from scratch.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: I made a Worm!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:06:57 PM »
I'll just point out that there's one on ebay right this very moment for a whopping $2.39, well under MSRP.  The Reaper store runs out of some Bones models regularly, but I've never seen the worm out of stock for longer than two months at a time.

Offline commander bernhardt

• Assistant
Re: I made a Worm!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
that is a great - albeit confusing - worm!