Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LAF URL redirect issue  (Read 1592 times)

Andrew_McGuire

LAF URL redirect issue
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:22:24 PM »
For the past few weeks, every time I enter the LAF URL , no matter on what PC, I've been automatically taken to www.wargamesillustrated.net, where I have no wish to be, at least without being asked first. The only way I've found to get here is via Google. I thought it might be a temporary glitch, but evidently not. Is no-one else experiencing this?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:08:47 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: LAF URL hijacked
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »
You may have missed some news...

The correct address is now http://leadadventureforum.com/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
That's the URL I enter. Furthermore, I've just clicked on the link and been taken to WI. I got here via Google, as described in my earlier post.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
DNS shows no issue with A records, I wonder if there is some confusion with the "AD" bar at top of page?

As thats a redirect to wargamesillustrated frequently.

There's no indication of domain hijack, so might be related to the coding behavior of the landing page for the site.

What "link" are you clicking on ? it may say leadadventure.com but is the hyperlink the same as the actual wording?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »
Thank you for your response, Tactalvanic.

The first line of your reply is too technical for me, I'm afraid. I know even less about DNS than I do about DNA.  All I know is there didn't use to be a problem, but now there is. The defective link I referred to was the one in the first respondent's post. The only way I've found to get here for the past six - eight weeks is to click on the link that comes up when I do a Google search: https://leadadventureforum.com/

which, I see, differs from the one in Patrice's link by including an s. I was previously in the habit of typing 'www.leadadventureforum.com', which for the five or so years I've been frequenting the site, has worked fine. It seems you're aware of the redirect issue, though, again, the terminology you use is beyond my competence or understanding, for which I can only apologise.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »
Short version

your right

leadadventureforum.com

not the same as

www.leadadventureforum.com

looks like both go to LAF, but the website redirects www... to wargames for some reason.

Probably a slight over-site somewhere when someone was working on the website - maybe they can take a look and fix.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
Thanks again. I trust it will be fixed at some point, but in the meantime I think the easiest solution for me is to copy and paste the URL from the current browser window into a draft email and use that as my entry point. It may be clunky as a means of bookmarking, but the method generally works for me.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 05:53:48 PM »
I have raised it with Admin.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »
Strange.

For me, http://leadadventureforum.com/ and https://leadadventureforum.com/ both work, as well on Firefox and on Chrome (I'm on iMac but I don't use Safari).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »

Yes, but, http://www.leadadventureforum.com/ take you to the W.I. site :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: LAF URL redirect issue
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 07:09:52 PM »
Since it is not a hijack, and to avoid undue concern/alert, I've slightly renamed the thread.

As per Elk101's posting, the administrators will look into it.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 07:34:33 PM »
I'm sure it's a glitch, and Mark at WI should hopefully fix it.

The reason the glitch would take you to WI as opposed to another site is LAF is now hosted on the WI server, which they do for free. Bless 'em.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
It is just a coding glitch, the fact that they are hosting the LaF on WI servers would suggest that's why its happened.

Its not a big deal, and usually easily corrected once found.

Depends on how the sites are constructed.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone, and apologies if my original heading was a tad alarmist. Such is my naïveté that it didn't occur to me that the h word I used - originally 'kidnapped', believe it or not - suggested criminal intent.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:12:11 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 05:24:38 PM »
I'd assume that its browser/ extension specific. I can't replicate the issue with any of the urls in this thread on the browsers I've tried on a laptop (I've no idea about how other devices would work). The only difference I noticed was the size of the banner changes in one instance.

Regardless, saving a link to the url which works in your tabs would be a solution till its looked into..