Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.  (Read 31083 times)

Offline commander bernhardt

• Assistant
Re: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »
You guys seem to be referencing the GW of nearly a decade ago. GW today is extremely good at marketing its products and gradually revealing info months before release.

That's what everybody here was saying  :D :D ;) ;) ;)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
one of the funny results of this thread... I got interested in the game, and basically improved my opinion of warlord...  lol bring the pop corn.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
Dont you just hate it when a buisness tries to be successful?
I ave no problem with them trying to make money but as they have proven in the past, doing many different things at once is not and never will be their strong suite, the world does not need another GW.

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »
I bit.. 2 free miniatures and free shipping couldnt say no. Just got the book to give it a run with my Mortal Gods greeks.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
I bit.. 2 free miniatures and free shipping couldnt say no. Just got the book to give it a run with my Mortal Gods greeks.

any comments so far?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »
Its not out yet.

I think I have to get it now, two free minis...is two free minis after all.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »

I seriously want that mini of the sacrifice....

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »
Quote from: Antonio J
The feeling we are getting from Warlord is... dunno... subdued? Mind that I am what you can call a regular customer for Warlord. I own several of their games and buy his minis with some regularity. I have nothing against them. It's just the vibe, for the lack of a better word.

It's a box set containing a load of plastic sprues they have had out in the market for what must be the thick end of a decade already, with 2 new resin sculpts and a new set of fairly straightforward sounding skirmish rules added in - all of which they've announced a month out from release. The future support schedule they have announced is based around extending the rules to allow you to use different sprues they already have been producing for some years, so there's actually not all that much meat for a marketeer to get their teeth into here. 

Honestly, I'm not sure what level of additional hype it would be possible for Warlord, GW, or even PT Barnum himself to generate (without going down the "Contrast Paints" route...!) Even so its being widely talked about on this and other forums anyway - so their marketeer seems to be doing a decent job !
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
It's a box set containing a load of plastic sprues they have had out in the market for what must be the thick end of a decade already, with 2 new resin sculpts and a new set of fairly straightforward sounding skirmish rules added in - all of which they've announced a month out from release. The future support schedule they have announced is based around extending the rules to allow you to use different sprues they already have been producing for some years, so there's actually not all that much meat for a marketeer to get their teeth into here.
Speaking as a marketer, that just makes it even more depressing that their product development department is producing such unmarketable products.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
Honestly, I'm not sure what level of additional hype it would be possible for Warlord, GW, or even PT Barnum himself to generate (without going down the "Contrast Paints" route...!)

Well, it seems like one selling point of the game is going to be heroic progression, and the first video is pretty vague on how heroes will stand apart from minions. An article or video highlighting heroes on the table seems like a logical next step, to me.

Aside from that, a basic rundown of the factions in the first book, or a brief faction focus article on each, would also probably be well-received.

For my part it's really not the marketing that's disappointing, though. I was hoping for smaller scale skirmishes (which is not Warlord's fault), but I'm trying to stay open-minded and will be checking out reviews once it lands.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2019, 06:43:58 PM »
Im trying to remain positive, i;d hoped for smaller mini numbers but this seems to be okay, they really need to update their ancients as to be quite frank some of their older plastic kits especially are long overdue for retirement.

marketing wise what they need is more of what they have shown on the facebook, converted sample forces to show off the rules and the minis as some of the paint jobs on the online store are looking quite aged as well.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »
Im trying to remain positive, i;d hoped for smaller mini numbers but this seems to be okay, they really need to update their ancients as to be quite frank some of their older plastic kits especially are long overdue for retirement.

marketing wise what they need is more of what they have shown on the facebook, converted sample forces to show off the rules and the minis as some of the paint jobs on the online store are looking quite aged as well.

The Facebook stuff is on their website and has been several days before you made this post.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »
I know that, it actually appeared on the facebook page first iirc.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2019, 04:48:44 AM »
Well speak of the devil.

SPQR A Hero's Journey

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2019, 05:39:11 AM »
The hero progression looks interesting.  The talent trees I have seen for RPGs but not in wargames, although I guess this is a bit of a hybrid game.