Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690351
  • Total Topics: 118327
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.  (Read 31123 times)

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
Re: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Skirmish game.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
I do hope the rulebook will be available separately. I've no need for another 93 Warlord Gauls...

MartinD. No worries there. The book is being released separately at 320. The figure of the Battlefield Sacrifice is included with it. I agree about all the Gauls. I'm thinking about a couple of the other bands myself.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Nick2729

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »
As already mentioned - why such a disparity in numbers between Roman & Gauls.

Are the Romans such superheros under these rules that they can handle odds of over 5:1?

If not - then this is a really poorly thought out starter set. If it does then this is certainly not a game for me.

What happened to he suggestion that warbands would be 20-30 figures?

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
MartinD. No worries there. The book is being released separately at 320. The figure of the Battlefield Sacrifice is included with it. I agree about all the Gauls. I'm thinking about a couple of the other bands myself.

That's good. I noticed that, unlike their recent games like Cruel Seas, there doesn't seem to be any special dice/cards/movement things/general extras in the box but miniatures. Which is unexpected these days.

I'm torn a little because I've decided to do 28mm Carthaginians multibased for ADLG/Hail Caesar, and it'll be a fairly long project, so I'm wondering if it's best to hold off and see what this is like.

I'm wondering too if Balkan Skirmishes with Wallachians, Turks and Vlad Dracula will fit - I'm assuming there will be ambush rules etc.

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »
?? Seems fine.. a bit large for a "skirmish" system tho. Rome plus some Gallic allies at around 40 figures and a Gallic force of about 60 models.. what's wrong with that?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 10:26:34 PM »
Disappointed that there's no early Roman/Carthaginian/Italian lists. I'd have thought Punic Wars was a must. Perhaps it's cos Warlord don't do figures for it...

Still, I have a bunch of Caesarian Romans and am planning on getting some Victrix Gauls (waaaayyyy better than the Warlord ones) so I might well be up for getting the rulebook when it comes out and giving it a bash...

Offline Tokhuah

• Assistant
  • Wicked Lich of the West
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 01:12:38 AM »
If either side has 93 models on the table it is no longer a skirmish game.
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 05:05:10 AM »
Disappointed that there's no early Roman/Carthaginian/Italian lists. I'd have thought Punic Wars was a must. Perhaps it's cos Warlord don't do figures for it...

Still, I have a bunch of Caesarian Romans and am planning on getting some Victrix Gauls (waaaayyyy better than the Warlord ones) so I might well be up for getting the rulebook when it comes out and giving it a bash...

I'm pretty sure the army list selection reflects only those ranges that Warlord carries. Although it shouldn't be too hard to extrapolate Carthage from the Greek, Iberian and Gallic lists.
Blog: Ether Drake's Cave

https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
If either side has 93 models on the table it is no longer a skirmish game.

Yeah I think in some ways these sorts of games are better characterised as 'small unit skirmish' games. I tend to think of 'skirmish games' as those with up to 10 or a dozen figs per side and being very 'individual model' focused...

Still, Warlord do some decent stuff so I'm gonna give it a look and preorder the rulebook.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »
I'm sure they'll manage to shoe-horn the wake markers from Cruel Seas into it somehow...

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
Sounds interesting.
But, why so few Romans and so many Gauls?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
I was kind of interested, but yeah, 93 Gauls suggests this game is going beyond the scope of what I'd be interested in.

Too bad, as I would like an ancient skirmish game and none of the new or upcoming rules I've seen look quite like what I'm after.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »
Weird thought but could the Gauls be 2/3 to a base ? This way it's 18 bases versus 18 bases.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 02:46:19 AM »
Why is WLG so awful about marketing their upcoming releases?

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 04:41:17 AM »
Weird thought but could the Gauls be 2/3 to a base ? This way it's 18 bases versus 18 bases.

Could be, but it's still 93 guys vs 17 guys. Between those numbers and the multi-basing, it's not much of a skirmish game at that point, and furthermore in an ancients skirmish game I wouldn't want Romans to have that kind of edge over barbarians. Better kit, maybe more experience/training, but nothing like a 5:1 advantage.

(By my math 92 Gauls [presumably the chieftain is solo] based in 3s would be 30 bases. 18 bases would be 5 to a base, but either way...)