Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.  (Read 31227 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Skirmish game.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 06:18:59 AM »
I spotted a post where someone suggested that some of the gauls might be mercenaries fighting alongside the Romans...if that is the case then they need to make it clear on their marketing.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Online jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 07:50:59 AM »
I spotted a post where someone suggested that some of the gauls might be mercenaries fighting alongside the Romans...if that is the case then they need to make it clear on their marketing.

Its frustrating how bad Warlord is at marketing. I know people sometimes think of them as " The GW of Historicals" but their nowhere near their level of marketing skill atm.

This is the second or third time they've released a game with  no official discussion and expect us to buy it and stores to stock it. I get they dont want to overshadow D-Day but then that suggests maybe market it AROUND the time ?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »
There are lots of Gauls in the box and less Romans.

Given that Caesar used Gallic allies and the Gauls have perhaps got a "wider range" of troop types (for example possibly slingers, warband, cavalry, chariots) compared to Legionary foot and cavalry it's possible that the ratio of Gauls to Romans is there just to give flexibility. We'll have to wait n see.

Anyway, since the rule book is available separately I think I'll take a lookie at that first before making up my mind.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
But then that's kinda the point...a couple of sentences and we'd know exactly what Warlord has in mind for the forces, heck even a pic of two sample warbands would give us an idea.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
But then that's kinda the point...a couple of sentences and we'd know exactly what Warlord has in mind for the forces, heck even a pic of two sample warbands would give us an idea.

According their Facebook page:

"SPQR is a brand new skirmish game! The starter set contains a new rulebook, 40 Gallic Celts & Celts Command, 12 Celtic Archers, 8 Caesarian Romans with Gladius, 8 Caesarian romans with Pilum, a Roman Commander on foot, a Special Battlefield Sacrifice Miniature and more for just £40/$60!"

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
We just have to wait and see - I'll agree though that their marketing of this product seems somewhat lacking . . I mean, if it were just miniatures, say "New Legionnaires minis soon released!"  and they just shared images, that would be one thing - but a game with no details on game play..

Maybe it's just Hail Caesar skirmish mode, haha.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
Some strange things are happening with the marketing and information of this particular game. I'm almost sure that the boxed set was announced with the following content: SPQR Contains: Softback rulebook, Easy start booklet, A Roman commander on foot, 8 Caesarian Romans with gladius, 8 Caesarian Romans with Pilum, Caesarian Romans shields decal sheet, A Celtic commander on foot, 80 Gallic Celts & Celts command, 12 Celtic Archers, Celtic Warriors shields decal sheet, Bases and D6. Order yours today and get a free special edition Miniature "Blood Sacrifice"

Now according to an updated pre-order page the amount of plastic celts isn't 80 but only 40. Also thought that the set was first up for pre-order at £50 and it's now only £40, not entirely sure on the pricing but really thought it was previously £50? Can somebody recall the higher pricing along with a change in the number of miniatures included?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »
It was previously listed as £60/$80.

Offline Gomez

• Student
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »
I'm surprised at Warlord doing yet another bloody game, so far they have...

Hail Caesar
Pike and Shot
Black Seas (or whatever its called)
Black Powder
Bolt Action
Cruel Seas
Blood Red Skies
K47
Dr Who
Strontium Dog
Judge Dredd (announced, not out yet mind)
Gates of Antares
Warlords of Erewhon

Thats ignoring things they sort of carry but aren't really theres or arent theres any longer, like Test of Honor, Terminator, and Frostgrave.

I think the pace of releases is beginning to show though - look at the editing issues with the Warlords of Erehwon book, or how Antares is basically abandoned.

Online jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »

I think the pace of releases is beginning to show though - look at the editing issues with the Warlords of Erehwon book, or how Antares is basically abandoned.

Theres a strong suspicion that Dredd will just use the Strontium Dog ruleset, whilst Antares gets releases. Afaik the issue with antares id that they need to revamp it from the ground up and can't just stop because they spent a decent amount of money on plastic kits.

However K47 and Erewhon are different kettles of fish. Erewhon is a minimal effort release, just box up sprues they have and print a book. K47 is mostly Clockwork Goblin sculpting afaik.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
Afaik the issue with antares id that they need to revamp it from the ground up and can't just stop because they spent a decent amount of money on plastic kits.

I'm sure I read an interview with Rick where he said the game had grown bigger than his original aim and bigger than Warlord had expected. I wonder if part of the problem is that many gamers seem to expect an aggressive release schedule to rival GW. Out of interest what is the reason behind Antares needing a big overhaul...I've not played but it seemed solid enough.

Online jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 02:46:36 PM »
I'm sure I read an interview with Rick where he said the game had grown bigger than his original aim and bigger than Warlord had expected. I wonder if part of the problem is that many gamers seem to expect an aggressive release schedule to rival GW. Out of interest what is the reason behind Antares needing a big overhaul...I've not played but it seemed solid enough.

Rules are too complex for what the mass audience want. If you want an agressive 40k rival you need to make the game quicker. As is its full of needless mechanics and stuff that looks good from a narrative perspective but is a bit meh in game.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
For me, it's only marketing, if you list only nations you have in your ranges  o_o

To close of GW business way , indeed  ;)

Or a marketing plan for a future light version of "Hail Caesar" rules set.

Create a rule or a new level of game to sell your "old" figurine ranges ?

:?
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »

Create a rule or a new level of game to sell your "old" figurine ranges ?

Warlord is a business and as such its goal is to sell as many models as it can. If what the consumers demand is skirmish games, it makes sense to take advantage of what the market wants and marketing both the rules and the miniatures together. Specially, given the fact that Warlord is a miniatures company!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 06:47:21 AM »
Fair point...its just a shame their marketing is a bit naff. Its surprising they haven't released an unboxing or something...if they didn't want to do it themselves they could send out a couple of sets to YouTubers or something.